Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How did it all started?

How did it all started?

Old Aug 11th 2004, 6:21 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How did it all started?

[QUOTE=Boomerang]How did it all started?

Hi
For me its been like fate i've wantd to visit oz since sons and daughters hit our screens but could never afford to go plus no one to go with never brave enough to do it alone! anyway a few years ago i met a lovely ozzie bloke who was over here staying with friends for a couple of months he was looking for an english wife!! still i didnt feel the same way about him as he did me so i let my chance go yep i could have used him to get over there but not my way. Then 2 years ago i met Colin started going out together a few months started falling in love and all that then he broke the news to me that he was going to oz for a year and he'd planned it before he met me it was his dream and he had to do it of course i understood cos it was my dream too but i couldnt tell him didnt want to be pushy and all. we carried on seeing each other for 8 months (tried to stop but couldnt) then a couple of weeks before he was due to go he gave me a ticket to join him for 6 weeks he flew out feb 2003 we were on the phone constantly i ended up packing my job of 15yrs in selling my house and going out to him for the last 6 months of his trip. We stayed with his cousin in perth and decided to emigrate. now back in uk and living together awaiting decision from TRA

sos if its boring but someone might read it!!
Old Aug 11th 2004, 9:25 pm
Living our dream!!

fozzie is just really nicefozzie is just really nicefozzie is just really nicefozzie is just really nicefozzie is just really nicefozzie is just really nicefozzie is just really nicefozzie is just really nicefozzie is just really nice

Hi

It all started when my uncle emigrated when I was 12 and I have wanted to go ever since. The plan was to go on a year WHP with my cousin when we were 18 but that didn't happen as we had both met someone by then and a year later i had moved in with my boyfriend. However 3 years later in 1997 we married and decided Australia would be a great honeymoon... but due to unforseen circmstances we ended up only being able to afford to go to the one place so we headed to Melbourne and stayed with my uncle for 3 weeks. It was fantastic we lived on a 5 acre property in the country and totally fell in love with the place and the people we met. We came home and went straight into emigrating but after the emigrate show at Sandown that year we were told that Australia did not recognise NVQ qualifications and as that is what hubby has got for bricklaying then it was a no go. But the wanting never left.

Now we have two children aged 5 & 2 and one day for some reason I just started looking into it again and found that it was possible so that was it we discussed it and decided it was what we wanted and that we wanted to give our children something we hadn't experienced.. living somewhere else and we felt we didn't want to be born, live and die in the one place so why not go for a place that we have fallen for.

At the moment we have a nomination from the State of Victoria and are about to submit the TRA application. Thought it would have been quicker than it has but i don't care how long it takes we will get there one day.

Michelle
Old Aug 11th 2004, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

LauranJ is on a distinguished road

Hi Pedro,

I know exactly how you feel at the moment.

I've always wanted to go to Oz, grew up in the early days of Neighbours (yes I admit it!!), met a colleague at work who convinced me that it was a great place to see but did no more about it. Had the chance to go when I was 17 but was a bit too immature to make such a huge journey which I regretted for ages!

Anyway cut a long story short, about 2 years ago a friend of mine died suddenly which put life into perspective - follow your dreams and all that, by this time I was a single Mum to a 5 year old, up until that point the idea of backpacking was just a dream and totally irreasponsible. the week after he died, the tickets were booked and we backpacked last year - loved it soo much that we went back this year and since being back have started getting things moving - luckily I trained as a hairdresser before having my daughter but vowed never to pick up another pair of scissors.

I can sympathise with you Pedro because I have to get some work experience before I can apply for the visa but thankfully it's only for a year.

This is not a whim, like many of you have said, I've never really felt like I fitted in here, when we were in Perth it felt like home. I also know that if we don't give it a try I will regret it for the rest of my life.

Sorry I'm not good a cutting long stories short!! (although I can cut hair short!!)

btw, what does IMO mean? I have been trying to work it out and have got most of the other sussed but can't work out this (I know it'll be really obvious!).
Old Aug 11th 2004, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

sue_parker has a spectacular aura aboutsue_parker has a spectacular aura aboutsue_parker has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by diddy
Good on yer Sue. Good luck with the application.
Thanks Diddy, appreciate your response
Old Aug 11th 2004, 10:36 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by diddy
Thanks JAJ. Unfortunately in 1944 he was in Changi Prison with a load of other Aussies and in early 1949 he returned briefly to UK. Apparently had he left he wouldn't have been able to back even after 40 or so years. Not sure how true this is though.
The expression used in the original Australian citizenship legislation in 1948 was 'ordinarily resident'. This does *not* mean physical presence but rather whether Australia was one's 'home' during the relevant period.

If one was in the Australian armed forces serving overseas (including in a Japanese prison camp) I'd say there's a strong chance he was 'ordinarily resident' in Australia all this time.

When he left Australia in 1949:
- as long as he left after 26 January, it would not be a problem
- if he left before 26 January, it would depend on whether he stayed away permanently. If it was only for a brief visit to the UK, arguably he remained 'ordinarily resident' in that period.

Why is all this important? On the basis of the information you've mentioned so far, there is a chance your grandfather may have become an Australian citizen on 26.01.1949 even if he was never aware of the fact. A specific application for citizenship was *not* required in cases like this.

Whether this (if he did become Australian in 1949) gives *you* (or your parent) any claim to Australian citizenship or not depends on:

- whether it's your paternal or maternal grandfather;
- whether the relevant parent (child of that parent) was born before or after 26 January 1949
- if the relevant parent (if born before 26.01.49) entered Australia on a permanent entry permit before 1 May 1987
- whether you were born before 16 January 1974 (or if you are still under 25)

The Government's proposed citizenship reforms *might* help even if current law does not. Depends on circumstances.

All this can get a bit technical for the forum. Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss in more detail.

Jeremy

Last edited by JAJ; Aug 12th 2004 at 1:44 am.
Old Aug 11th 2004, 10:52 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LauranJ
btw, what does IMO mean? I have been trying to work it out and have got most of the other sussed but can't work out this (I know it'll be really obvious!).

Lauren - took me a while to work it out - In My Opinion. Doh! The other one is IMHO - the H being honest. :lecture: There are some I still don't understand but one in particular I cannot work out and unfortunately can't remember what it is, something to do with laughing but about 8 letters!
Old Aug 11th 2004, 11:32 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Lauren - took me a while to work it out - In My Opinion. Doh! The other one is IMHO - the H being honest. :lecture: There are some I still don't understand but one in particular I cannot work out and unfortunately can't remember what it is, something to do with laughing but about 8 letters!

Sometimes the H can stand for humble...as in In my humble opinion.....
Old Aug 12th 2004, 6:04 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
There are some I still don't understand but one in particular I cannot work out and unfortunately can't remember what it is, something to do with laughing but about 8 letters!
Is this something like RAOFLMFAO?

Rolling Around On Floor Laughing My Fkin Arse Off
Old Aug 12th 2004, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by wmoore
Is this something like RAOFLMFAO?

Rolling Around On Floor Laughing My Fkin Arse Off
Thanx,

Somehow I worked this one out straight away!! but the IMO really threw me, I knew it'd would be something really obvious!! maybe someone should start a thread explaining all of them!!!

-x-
Old Aug 12th 2004, 8:26 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LauranJ
maybe someone should start a thread explaining all of them!!!
I have seen one but buggered if I can find it now. Try this site
Old Aug 14th 2004, 12:42 am
Nutty Nurse

LondonNurse will become famous soon enoughLondonNurse will become famous soon enough
Lightbulb Re: How did it all started?

Well, I've always wanted to live in Australia ever since I was about 7 ( total Neighbours addict then and still am now ) Hangs head in shame!

So when I was @ sixth form I decided that I kinda liked the idea of being a nurse so applied to do nursing training and thought being a nurse would allow me to travel the world pretty easily. Unfortunately,I trained to be a paediatric nurse which isnt recognised in Australia sooooooooo I had to spend 15 months retraining as a general nurse on about 1/5th of my salary !

So I completed my training, found my niche in nursing and worked on a HIV ward in South London for a bit getting a few promotions, bought a tiny studio flat that u couldn't swing a hamster in!

Then one rainy December day, an Aussie nurse doing agency comes and works on my ward, we get chatting and she says she's heading home in a few months and is going travelling round New Zealand b4 she settles back into her new job. Soooooooo I get friendly with her over the coming weeks and eventually hand my notice in and go travelling for 7 weeks with her all round new zealand spending just 2 weeks in Australia. I've completely fell in love with New Zealand and am just about to apply for PR on my own!

So i've done a complete U turn!
Old Aug 14th 2004, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by LondonNurse
Well, I've always wanted to live in Australia ever since I was about 7 ( total Neighbours addict then and still am now ) Hangs head in shame!

So when I was @ sixth form I decided that I kinda liked the idea of being a nurse so applied to do nursing training and thought being a nurse would allow me to travel the world pretty easily. Unfortunately,I trained to be a paediatric nurse which isnt recognised in Australia sooooooooo I had to spend 15 months retraining as a general nurse on about 1/5th of my salary !

So I completed my training, found my niche in nursing and worked on a HIV ward in South London for a bit getting a few promotions, bought a tiny studio flat that u couldn't swing a hamster in!

Then one rainy December day, an Aussie nurse doing agency comes and works on my ward, we get chatting and she says she's heading home in a few months and is going travelling round New Zealand b4 she settles back into her new job. Soooooooo I get friendly with her over the coming weeks and eventually hand my notice in and go travelling for 7 weeks with her all round new zealand spending just 2 weeks in Australia. I've completely fell in love with New Zealand and am just about to apply for PR on my own!

So i've done a complete U turn!
Hi LondonNurse,

Sorry just want to invade the thread (again!!!)

How have you found applying on your own? I ask because I am finding the whole process pretty daunting and most people seem to be going with family.

I am going with my daughter (aged 7), but she's not much help when it comes to gathering information and filling in forms and just asking those silly questions that you expect your partner to know even though they know as much as you!

That's why this site has been a godsend - I can ask others who do know the answers to my silly questions!

Are there any others in my position or going thru all this alone? I'd love to know your experiences.

Invasion over

Laura
Old Aug 16th 2004, 4:17 am
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

We came over for my brother's wedding - he married an Aussie. My husband really liked it and started persuading me that we should live here. I agreed to come over if he organized Permanent Visas - as I was not going to give up my job, sell our house etc unless we were certain to be able to stay in Oz.

Anyway - he arranged the visas and here we are - fresh and enthusiastic about the whole thing

Good Luck to all those applying - it's worth the wait IMO
Old Aug 16th 2004, 5:31 am
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all
Thumbs up Re: How did it all start?

What a great thread! I'm thoroughly enjoying reading everyone's tales and really wish the best of luck to anyone wanting to emigrate, especially those who are doing it the hard way.

My parents were expats before I was born and never re-settled in UK after life abroad. We spent 10 years in Kent until my Dad decided to move us all to
Brisbane in 1977. My brother stayed in UK to finish university and, due to various events, never emigrated. He now lives in Wiltshire. My Dad died in 1999 (in Oz), so there's just my Mum and I left in Brissie, though we are both in UK at the moment.

I became an Australian Citizen in 1985 and, having spent most of my life in Oz, now consider myself an Aussie through and through!

My partner is keen to move to Australia, though we have not yet started the immigration process. These forums have been a great source of knowledge to us and, no doubt, we'll be asking loads of questions about front-loading applications when the time comes!

I miss the laid-back, outdoor lifestyle, the positive "she'll be right" and "can do" attitude, along with everything else 'Australian' dreadfully and am really looking forward to going home.

Gawd, now I'm feeling homesick again!

Last edited by ProofReader; Aug 16th 2004 at 8:39 am. Reason: To add new signature!
Old Aug 16th 2004, 7:57 am
owieb

MrsOwieB and I met on a internet dating site and at the time we lived a couple of hours apart. We spent about 12 months travelling up and down the UK motorways to spend time with each other which wasn't really ideal.

We decided that we wanted to live together, but I didn't want to live where MrsOwieB lived and she didn't want to live where I lived, so we compromised and moved to Perth!

Neither of us had been to Australia before but we just decided to shut up shop in the UK and give it a go. We came out for a quick reccy about 5 months before we were due to leave, just to make sure we fancied it!

It took us about 10 months in total to get out here!

Last edited by owieb; Aug 16th 2004 at 8:03 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.