Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

how to cope during shipping stuff time!

Wikiposts

how to cope during shipping stuff time!

Old Apr 10th 2003, 8:59 am
Finally back home

sally1968 is on a distinguished road
Default how to cope during shipping stuff time!

can anyone give me any advice on how to cope while all our gear is on route to Oz?

I'm trying to work out how the hell we are going to get by with two kids and no beds!! :scared:

Anyone who has already done the move and can gives us some pointers, i would be very grateful.

Anyone still to go, how are you all planning on surviving!!

Thanks in advance.

Sally
Old Apr 10th 2003, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Rudy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: how to cope during shipping stuff time!

Hi Sally,

We made a major move 9 + years ago and didn't bring beds with us for that very reason, we had two small children and decided that would be one of our purchases here in the UK, we have decided this time to take our beds, but we're bound to have a bigger house out in Oz, so we will probably still buy some new beds out there. (You know .... furniture for the guest room) We will probably rough it for the first few weeks until our stuff arrives, and just buy the basics in Oz to get by.

Where are you off to?
Funny enough I work in Ware, just down the road from Stevenage!

Hazel
Old Apr 10th 2003, 9:13 am
Finally back home

sally1968 is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Rudy
Hi Sally,

We made a major move 9 + years ago and didn't bring beds with us for that very reason, we had two small children and decided that would be one of our purchases here in the UK, we have decided this time to take our beds, but we're bound to have a bigger house out in Oz, so we will probably still buy some new beds out there. (You know .... furniture for the guest room) We will probably rough it for the first few weeks until our stuff arrives, and just buy the basics in Oz to get by.

Where are you off to?
Funny enough I work in Ware, just down the road from Stevenage!

Hazel
Hi Hazel.

It's a small world after all!!!

Where in Ware do you work? Hubby used to go to school there. Well he says he did, I'm not too sure!

We are heading to Adelaide. I'm an Aussie citizen and i still have family there. What about you? Have you got you visa yet?

Good luck if you haven't.

Sally
Old Apr 10th 2003, 9:15 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Have you got places already bought or are planning on renting straight away? Any length of time especially if you do not know your stuff will arrive on time sounds difficult, I have every sympathy. We stayed in a holiday/office rental which came fully furnished for six weeks (Sydney), only had two nights in the rented house without any gear and by then my husband had met some of the school mums and we had the loan of some camping gear!

There are furnishing rental companies here, try looking on the web for the area you require, also there has been adverts on this site about house rentals (Perth) for the very purpose of short term stays so I am sure there must be demand for some of your requirements wherever you plan to go.

Good Luck
Old Apr 10th 2003, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

terryg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by sally1968
can anyone give me any advice on how to cope while all our gear is on route to Oz?

I'm trying to work out how the hell we are going to get by with two kids and no beds!! :scared:

Anyone who has already done the move and can gives us some pointers, i would be very grateful.

Anyone still to go, how are you all planning on surviving!!

Thanks in advance.

Sally
Hi Sally

This really stresses me out too. My wife Sharon said that we should ship our stuff 6 weeks before leaving the UK. It will be a lot easier to beg borrow and steal bits and pieces from family and friends over here. Borrow some inflatables or buy some over here.

Regards

TerryG
Old Apr 10th 2003, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by sally1968
Hi Hazel.

It's a small world after all!!!

Where in Ware do you work? Hubby used to go to school there. Well he says he did, I'm not too sure!

We are heading to Adelaide. I'm an Aussie citizen and i still have family there. What about you? Have you got you visa yet?

Good luck if you haven't.

Sally
Hi Sally,

I work at the large Pharma company there, won't mention the name ............ I am sure your hubby will know the one I mean.

We applied in February, so have a while to wait, but all the same can't wait!!!!

It really is a small world, we met up with the Essex crew last Sunday, there were about 40 people there in all, it really was good to meet up with other people in the same boat. (From the thread "Calling all Essex girls...")

So you will be returning home !!!

Best of luck,
Hazel

Old Apr 10th 2003, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Rudy
Hi Sally,

I work at the large Pharma company there, won't mention the name ............ I am sure your hubby will know the one I mean.

We applied in February, so have a while to wait, but all the same can't wait!!!!

It really is a small world, we met up with the Essex crew last Sunday, there were about 40 people there in all, it really was good to meet up with other people in the same boat. (From the thread "Calling all Essex girls...")

So you will be returning home !!!

Best of luck,
Hazel

Hi,

do you mean Glaxo. Had a mate that worked there in IT department

Mandy
Old Apr 10th 2003, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Mandy Bale
Hi,

do you mean Glaxo. Had a mate that worked there in IT department

Mandy
yep thats the one! (Post merger - GSK)
Old Apr 10th 2003, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Not too worried about the bed situation we will just doss for a while. Have a feeling that my partner will buy something the minute he lands in Brisbane he has been finding his dream homes on the real estate sites so who know.

I imagine apart from clothes we will have to take laptop and sons PS2 because he sturggles to communicate at the best of time and if we take his life line away he may never talk again.

footie chick
Old Apr 10th 2003, 11:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by footie chick
I imagine apart from clothes we will have to take laptop and sons PS2 because he sturggles to communicate at the best of time and if we take his life line away he may never talk again.

footie chick
Know the feeling Footie Chick, My son is 13 and he is constantly playing either PS, PC or gameboy. Boys will be boys, lets hope that with sunshine and fresh air we might be able to encourage them to spend sometime outdoors. He does have an off road motorbike and loves to ride, but alas never gets too much opportunity, the ground is always too wet and soft!

We live in hope ........

Hazel
Old Apr 11th 2003, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes i would like him to leave his bedroom more often, once he gets outside he does enjoy it is just getting him there in the first place.

Yes kids will be kids, and him being a teenager he is probably better off in his room.

footie chick
Old Apr 11th 2003, 2:20 am
Forum Regular

Location: Ex-Bournemouth now Sunny Florida, heading for Perth
WannabeWallaby is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by terryg
Hi Sally

This really stresses me out too. My wife Sharon said that we should ship our stuff 6 weeks before leaving the UK. It will be a lot easier to beg borrow and steal bits and pieces from family and friends over here. Borrow some inflatables or buy some over here.

Regards

TerryG

We intend to pack a blow-up bed in our luggage and sheets and towels and stuff. We don't have kids so we can rough it for a few weeks and live on take-out with plastic cutlery! Our biggest problem is finding a place to stay that will take 2 cats after they come out of quarantine until we can buy our home, with the best will in the world I can't see us completing a house purchase in 30 days!

Wannabe Wallaby
Old Apr 11th 2003, 6:31 am
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute

we are very lucky I suppose!

My mum is moving house and her present house will be empty when we move from here probably. so we will send our stuff then leave UK 2 -3 weeks later, having lived in my mum's house rent free!!!!....
....Mind you it depends on when our neighbours sell. If we have to move out sooner then we will.
We plan to visit friends in Sydney for 2 weeks then arrive in Perth and stay in holiday. (fully furnished), rentals for about 6 weeks south of perth then 6 weeks north of perth...so our stuff should be there by then...well thats the plan anyway!!!!!

Last edited by yvsie; Apr 11th 2003 at 6:34 am.