Reload this Page >

How cool is Manly???

How cool is Manly???

Old Nov 7th 2004, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

Alan&Sonia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How cool is Manly???

Hi All

We moved here exactly one year ago from Oxford. It was hard in the beginning but we have now found our feet and loving every minute of our new life here in Manly

Good luck to everyone still in the application process

Alan & Sonia
Old Nov 7th 2004, 9:13 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: How cool is Manly???

Originally Posted by Alan&Sonia
Hi All

We moved here exactly one year ago from Oxford. It was hard in the beginning but we have now found our feet and loving every minute of our new life here in Manly

Alan & Sonia
Hi
Glad to hear that you are liking it.. Are you talking about Manly in Sydney, or Manly in Brisbane ?

There's been a few threads about Manly recently, but mainly the Sydney one

Old Nov 7th 2004, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

We mean Manly near Sydney. We only just discovered this website today and didn't realise that there has been some discussion about Manly already.

Manly in Brisbane is supposed to be a good place too - is that true?

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Hi
Glad to hear that you are liking it.. Are you talking about Manly in Sydney, or Manly in Brisbane ?

There's been a few threads about Manly recently, but mainly the Sydney one
Old Nov 7th 2004, 10:28 am
ABCDiamond

We mean Manly near Sydney. We only just discovered this website today and didn't realise that there has been some discussion about Manly already.

Manly in Brisbane is supposed to be a good place too - is that true?
Yes, it is pretty good. It's about 15-20 minutes away from us

Here's a link to show you the "other" Manly (QLD):
http://www.wynnum-manly.net/01_about...ly_village.htm

Old Nov 21st 2004, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

HeatherandTim is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All

Alan & Sonia
Hi Alan and Sonia,
I totally agree with you. Manly is a great place. We have everything we need close by. Just a ferry ride to the city but a far enough away to be relaxed and laid back with the beaches, the watersports and the walks etc . Congratulations on your one year in Oz.
Old Nov 21st 2004, 8:06 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HeatherandTim
Hi Alan and Sonia,
I totally agree with you. Manly is a great place. We have everything we need close by. Just a ferry ride to the city but a far enough away to be relaxed and laid back with the beaches, the watersports and the walks etc . Congratulations on your one year in Oz.
We had a day in Manly a couple of years ago and liked the place. I assumed it would be way too expensive to live in though, being so close to Circular Quay by ferry. Do you mind me asking where /what you live in and what it costs?
Old Nov 21st 2004, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

HeatherandTim is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by worzel
We had a day in Manly a couple of years ago and liked the place. I assumed it would be way too expensive to live in though, being so close to Circular Quay by ferry. Do you mind me asking where /what you live in and what it costs?
I've been here 8 years. We bought our 4 bed house 6 years ago for $400,000.
The same arguments about the expense went on then but we stuck our neck out and now its fine. It does cost a bit more to live here but the benefits are well worth it. The best climate and amenities etc. We live 10-15 mins drive from Manly. Hope that helps
Old Nov 22nd 2004, 12:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by HeatherandTim
I've been here 8 years. We bought our 4 bed house 6 years ago for $400,000.
The same arguments about the expense went on then but we stuck our neck out and now its fine. It does cost a bit more to live here but the benefits are well worth it. The best climate and amenities etc. We live 10-15 mins drive from Manly. Hope that helps
Yes it is expensive by Australian standards but you only pay for what you get. The convenience of everything is next to none, the climate is perfect, public transport is brilliant and we are only minutes away from the city life if you want it. Rents are just the same as we'd pay in Oxford and what facilities did you get there? You can't even compare. At least when you rent here you don't have to pay rates, water etc.

Bye for now...
Old Nov 22nd 2004, 8:06 am
Just Joined

manlymonkeys is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes it is expensive by Australian standards but you only pay for what you get. The convenience of everything is next to none, the climate is perfect, public transport is brilliant and we are only minutes away from the city life if you want it. Rents are just the same as we'd pay in Oxford and what facilities did you get there? You can't even compare. At least when you rent here you don't have to pay rates, water etc.

Bye for now...
Hi,

I've just moved to Manly, (moved in a week ago) with my girlfriend. We're from Reading. Wondering if anyone has any advice for things to do, clubs/ activities to join etc.

Fell in love with Manly because of the climate and the relaxed lifestyle. A world away from grey Berkshire.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Old Nov 22nd 2004, 8:36 am
Just Joined

ILoveTheSun is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by manlymonkeys
Hi,

I've just moved to Manly, (moved in a week ago) with my girlfriend. We're from Reading. Wondering if anyone has any advice for things to do, clubs/ activities to join etc.

Fell in love with Manly because of the climate and the relaxed lifestyle. A world away from grey Berkshire.

Thanks

Glad to hear that you are loving Manly too. What are your interests as there are loads of different types of clubs etc.
Old Nov 22nd 2004, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by manlymonkeys
Hi,

Thanks
Hi Manly Monkeys
Well there is plenty to do, you could try diving at the wharf on the weekend then go on to do scuba diving, there is loads to see in the harbour. The pubs are good, and if you join a football team you will be sure to meet loads of people.

It took us a while to meet people, as it does, but we really enjoy everything about being here.

Maybe we shoudl all meet for a pre-Christmas drink on 3rd December, at the Ivanhoe Hotel? Is anyone up for that?

Bye for now ..
Old Nov 22nd 2004, 9:24 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Just from the other point of view, we moved into a rental in Manly nearly 2 months ago. Got well and truly fleeced, and the place is a joke!

What is NOT a joke is the low life around here: the noise is indescribeable all through the night - at least until the takeaways close at about 5am. The drunks stagger about, shouting and screaming at each other, you see the drug dealing from our balcony, girls peeing in the street, both sexes chundering copiously over whatever wall happens to be available - and all to the racket from megawatt loudspeakers.

Welcome to Manly, folks!

(oh, I forgot to mention the police sirens....)

Manly by day is a rather beaten, but not unpleasant, Blackpool-in-the-sun. By night, the area around the Eastern Corso is a place not to be.

The police are polite on the noise hotline, but have a lot more to do than control several thousand drunken yobs.
Old Nov 22nd 2004, 9:36 am
PommieLeague

And dont forget up the road in Brookvale you have the Manly Leagues and Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles Footy team to look forward too comewhat Feb!

Old Nov 22nd 2004, 9:55 am
Just Joined

IpswichToSydney is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys,

We'll be up for a drink at the Ivanhoe on the 3rd, we have lived in Manly, well Fairlight but its close enough :-) for nearly a year.

Always good to meet new people

Cheers,
Chad and Sharon

Hi Manly Monkeys
Well there is plenty to do, you could try diving at the wharf on the weekend then go on to do scuba diving, there is loads to see in the harbour. The pubs are good, and if you join a football team you will be sure to meet loads of people.

It took us a while to meet people, as it does, but we really enjoy everything about being here.

Maybe we shoudl all meet for a pre-Christmas drink on 3rd December, at the Ivanhoe Hotel? Is anyone up for that?

Bye for now ..
Old Nov 22nd 2004, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by IpswichToSydney
Hi Guys,

We'll be up for a drink at the Ivanhoe on the 3rd, we have lived in Manly, well Fairlight but its close enough :-) for nearly a year.

Always good to meet new people

Cheers,
Chad and Sharon
Okay - that would be good, speak to you closer to the time. Shame about the guy in the living hell in Manly. We used to live in East Esplanade and used to get the noise from the Wharf bar hitting our apartment building, I used to go to bed with ear plugs in on a Saturday night. We moved to Balgowlah (and can still see the sea) and it is so quiet, but only a 5 minute drive if you want a night out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.