Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How to cook an authentic restaurant curry in Australia

How to cook an authentic restaurant curry in Australia

Old Nov 21st 2003, 2:31 pm
Badge

Default How to cook an authentic restaurant curry in Australia

You can't get it maybe in your local waterfront cafe, so make it yourself.

www.curryhouse.co.uk taught me to make curries as they taste in a restaurant. Surprisingly good results. You need a liquidiser.

the secret is the ubiquoutus "sauce" it teaches you to make, which you then use to make the korma, dopiaza, vindaloo etc.

I realise now that my past mistake is to make curries with loads of curry powder etc when what you really need is loads of onions, loads of ginger and garlic, half a teaspoon of chili, and a TINY amount of the Indian stuff - garam, cumin..also by frying the onions first you get all the sweet flavour.

I'm cooking it tonight - I do it once a week.

Badge

Old Nov 21st 2003, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice

hi badger

That's exactly how my hubby has learnt how to do it using the Curry Secret book I mentioned in an earlier thread. Yummy! shame I'm now a veggie, he's got to make two different curries now...ah poor him!!

He loves using the liquidizer, I think that's the reason he cooks so many curries!!

love sophia x
Old Nov 21st 2003, 2:42 pm
Badge

wish I'd learnt it years ago!!

Badge

Old Nov 21st 2003, 2:45 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all
Default Re: How to cook an authentic restaurant curry in Australia

Originally posted by badgersmount
You can't get it maybe in your local waterfront cafe, so make it yourself.

www.curryhouse.co.uk taught me to make curries as they taste in a restaurant. Surprisingly good results. You need a liquidiser.

the secret is the ubiquoutus "sauce" it teaches you to make, which you then use to make the korma, dopiaza, vindaloo etc.

I realise now that my past mistake is to make curries with loads of curry powder etc when what you really need is loads of onions, loads of ginger and garlic, half a teaspoon of chili, and a TINY amount of the Indian stuff - garam, cumin..also by frying the onions first you get all the sweet flavour.

I'm cooking it tonight - I do it once a week.

Badge
Ditto Badger. I've used this site myself for the same reason...the recipes you get in the books just don't seem to produce restaurant sytle curries. I don't do much cooking, but I dabble in the curry-making thing. Luverly...all washed down with copious amounts of ice cold beer.

What you making tonight? How about a nice chicken tikka madras, pilau rice, bombay spuds & veg curry. (no nan bread tho...yuk!)
Old Nov 21st 2003, 2:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice

yeah, he said that too!

Just make sure though, that if you have to make a larger amount of the sauce DO NOT double the quantity of the ingredients (':scared:') CRIKEY that was a hot curry!!!

love sophia x

Ps, he has started doing the popadoms too...he thinks he's a proper curry master now!!('')
Old Nov 21st 2003, 2:47 pm
WBB

good site badge, will attempt one of those this weekend.

cannot beat a good ruby

Old Nov 21st 2003, 2:50 pm
Free at last!

Houdini is on a distinguished road

Here's the link to the book - every curry-loving household should have it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...338758-5357203
Old Nov 21st 2003, 3:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

(no nan bread tho...yuk!)
No way! I reckon I'd just order rotis and breads and chappatis and pakora and poppadums without the curry if I could get away with it!
Old Nov 21st 2003, 3:38 pm
Badge

Default Re: How to cook an authentic restaurant curry in Australia

Originally posted by chippy
What you making tonight? How about a nice chicken tikka madras, pilau rice, bombay spuds & veg curry. (no nan bread tho...yuk!)
Dopiaza.
Nothing, at this rate. I'm still stuck on this pc. And Mrs B is due back any mo. (She does the rice).

Badge

Old Nov 21st 2003, 3:40 pm
Badge

Originally posted by sophia
Just make sure though, that if you have to make a larger amount of the sauce DO NOT double the quantity of the ingredients (':scared:') CRIKEY that was a hot curry!!!
bugger. I made twice as much as normal last time....

but used half of it last week - and froze the remainder for the next batch. (so tonight I won't be so 'good'.

Badge

Old Nov 21st 2003, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

WheelsOfSteel is on a distinguished road

Badgersmount:

Great link you provided to the Curry Web-site!

One thing I guess you learn is that for any good curry you have to have the Ghee/butter. Don't try and skip the amounts, except that curries are fattening and not good for your cholesterol levels.

Trying to make a curry all nice and slimline just doesn't work.

Everything in moderation. Also, the 'Basic Curry' mix he mentions on the web site is a good idea as I know that most curry houses have a basic 'Masala' mix common in all there dishes.

Cheers...