Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How close were my fingers to grabbing this little chap?

How close were my fingers to grabbing this little chap?

Old Nov 30th 2008, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default How close were my fingers to grabbing this little chap?

Ans: About half an inch. Underneath the cover of our swimming pool filter this morning.
Attached Thumbnails How close were my fingers to grabbing this little chap?-red-back.jpg  
Old Nov 30th 2008, 1:51 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How close were my fingers to grabbing this little chap?

We've had more of them this year than we normal do. Squashed one on the pool patio area the other day.

I did have a huntsman run up my arm once when cleaning out the skimmer. That came as a bit of a shock.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 4:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

LOL the correct question should have been - how close was this little chap to grabbing your fingers! Close shave there. I dont know why they like pools - the only time one of us has been bitten was DS at swimming training when the redback was clutching the lane ropes!
Old Nov 30th 2008, 5:43 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

We don't have a pool, but we do have lots of red backs in the garden.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 5:50 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
We've had more of them this year than we normal do.
Funny that 'cos I would have said exactly the opposite. Usually see lots on the garden fences and I can't remember seeing a one yet so far this summer.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 6:07 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

I had one in my letterbox this morning. I am just glad I looked inside rather than just sticking my hand in to grab the post
Old Nov 30th 2008, 7:34 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Funny that 'cos I would have said exactly the opposite. Usually see lots on the garden fences and I can't remember seeing a one yet so far this summer.
Maybe they've come down for a holiday. Vic's the place to be apparently.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

Rachel69 will become famous soon enoughRachel69 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by quoll
LOL the correct question should have been - how close was this little chap to grabbing your fingers! Close shave there. I dont know why they like pools - the only time one of us has been bitten was DS at swimming training when the redback was clutching the lane ropes!
Did he have to go to hospital, was he ok? I thought these were deadly (we have loads in the garage) but ive heard people saying that they've been bitten by them and were ok.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 10:01 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

My son was bitten by a redback.. in a National Park in Exmouth.. it was a rather small one and we think male..

He had no adverse reactions and was fine (apart from a bit of shock when finding out that he was bitten by a deadly spider species!)

The males have the venom I understand but their fangs arent long enough to puncture the skin ... whereas a nice huge juicy female will do the job each time..

Em x

PS this is just stuff I have researched and read... can't vouch that it is completely spidererly correct.. just what I have been told
Old Nov 30th 2008, 12:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rachel69
Did he have to go to hospital, was he ok? I thought these were deadly (we have loads in the garage) but ive heard people saying that they've been bitten by them and were ok.
Yup, spent the evening in the hospital feeling very queer but we didnt think it got a real hold on him otherwise he would have been much sicker. The spider was later seen quite drowned!
Old Nov 30th 2008, 7:34 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Rachel69
They shouldn't be deadly to a healthy adult. Although a visit to hospital will save a lot of pain.

Here's some more info http://www.avru.org/health/health_redback.html

The biggest thing to be aware of with the red back is that the first aid treatment is the opposite to what you would do for other spider bites.