Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How clean are your whites?

How clean are your whites?

Old Jun 3rd 2007, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

leigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud of
Question How clean are your whites?

Since being in Oz I do not seem to be able to get my laundry clean
Even when using stain remover the stains just won't budge!
Is it the performance of the machines here (I have a top loader) or does anyone have a recommendation for a super washing powder/liquid?

Any ideas?

Leigh
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 10:22 am

julesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How clean are your whites?

Originally Posted by leigh&ivan
Is it the performance of the machines here (I have a top loader) or does anyone have a recommendation for a super washing powder/liquid?

Any ideas?

Leigh
Do you know, I nearly started a thread on this the other week! I've got a front loader and sometimes I swear the clothes are just as dirty on the way out....

I've tried different powders, the 'in-wash' stain treatments, everything and still my washing's naff!

I've never been very good a keeping whites white, but now my son's t-shirts display his meals from the previous week and just won't budge.
If there's a grease stain - well, just forget it!

I too am interested in any tips for the 'super-washers' out there.

Jules x (very grey; once white).
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

hoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nice

Originally Posted by julesandco
Do you know, I nearly started a thread on this the other week! I've got a front loader and sometimes I swear the clothes are just as dirty on the way out....

I've tried different powders, the 'in-wash' stain treatments, everything and still my washing's naff!

I've never been very good a keeping whites white, but now my son's t-shirts display his meals from the previous week and just won't budge.
If there's a grease stain - well, just forget it!

I too am interested in any tips for the 'super-washers' out there.

Jules x (very grey; once white).
I have the same problem, try adding a drop of household bleach although it still doesnt make the whites white!
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 10:48 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

I do the whites on a 90 degree wash and that seems to work. Can't get my coloureds clean though. Omo is the best washing powder for front loaders (I've tried all the rest ) but even that doesn't get food stains out.

Jane
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 10:48 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

NAPISAN.

Its the answer to everything and gets put in every wash.
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 10:54 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
NAPISAN.

Its the answer to everything and gets put in every wash.
But only if you don't have a bioseptic tank.

Jane
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 11:46 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JaneandJim
But only if you don't have a bioseptic tank.

Jane
I find stuff gets a lot cleaner now we have a front-loader, the top loader was kak, destroyed half the clothes and left the rest dirty. I use liquid, cos I'm allergic to powder, and the front-loader is pretty good now, but I do have to use more than the recommended amount to get some stuff clean.

If you fancy a few hours of good reading put "front loader" or "top loader" into the search thingy and settle down with the popcorn
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 12:03 pm
Born to be ignored

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I find stuff gets a lot cleaner now we have a front-loader, the top loader was kak, destroyed half the clothes and left the rest dirty. I use liquid, cos I'm allergic to powder, and the front-loader is pretty good now, but I do have to use more than the recommended amount to get some stuff clean.

If you fancy a few hours of good reading put "front loader" or "top loader" into the search thingy and settle down with the popcorn
Tried all the liquids too, still no good. You probably don't spill tomato, watermelon and banana down you as often as my boy does.

Jane
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 12:28 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.chaffinch.com/item.cs4?00=dylstain1 is my choice of stain remover. I have never had any bother with getting anything out, even bike oil. Only available mail order from England but worth it for me.

I use Dynamomatic I think it is called and use the above stain remover on stains.
Old Jun 4th 2007, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

leigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud of

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm using Dynamo liquid at the moment. I think I'll try other brands before forking out for a new washing machine. I know there's been loads of threads on 'top loader v front loader' but I'm still non the wiser

Thanks anyway & if anyone else has any suggestions please keep them coming.
Old Jun 4th 2007, 9:17 am
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

I put 2 capfulls of bleach in a dark wash and 4 cap fulls in a white wash, and they come out sparkling.
Old Jun 4th 2007, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

v moore is just really nicev moore is just really nicev moore is just really nicev moore is just really nicev moore is just really nicev moore is just really nicev moore is just really nicev moore is just really nicev moore is just really nicev moore is just really nicev moore is just really nice
Smile Re: How clean are your whites?

Hi. I use Napisan Max (pink container) To get your "whites" White I place them in a stainless steel container Thankfully my laundry sink is steel,and leave them in steep for half a hour or so.I got this tip from my aussie friend at work.
Then just place in washer with OMO powder (Green box) and conditioner.
My whites come out fab, Yes I have a front loader love it. We had a top loader and it also ruined alot of our clothes.
I also mix the napisan with water to make a paste and add to tuff stains.
I personally would highly reccomend a front loader.
Best of luck hope this helps.
Vanessa (Mrs Bravo)

Any ideas?

Leigh
Old Jun 4th 2007, 11:56 am
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

Bicarb of Soda does great things for my wash here in the UK, just bung a spoonful in with your wash and bobs your uncle!
Old Jun 4th 2007, 12:10 pm

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Any ideas?

Leigh
<cue bright lights, primary colours and homely bird with big knockers>
We use "Eco Sensitive Aware" and it gets my bloke's cricket whites whiter than white.
</annoying ad>
Old Jun 4th 2007, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

scotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by RedT
Bicarb of Soda does great things for my wash here in the UK, just bung a spoonful in with your wash and bobs your uncle!
Would second this - just dissolves any grease based stains - fab for food stains etc, that reguarly just don't come out. Only about a 80p for a bag that'll last about a month. Just chuck a bit in with the washing powder. Here its generally on top shelf next to washing powder area.

Do they have it in Oz?