British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   How Clean does Machinery have to be????? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/how-clean-does-machinery-have-509879/)

kkwall36 Jan 28th 2008 9:34 pm

How Clean does Machinery have to be?????

Hi All,

I am in the process of cleaning my machinery before having it shipped.

Pickfords informed me that it must be "Showroom" clean, and cannot have any wood dust on them.:eek:

I am using an air compresser and oily rags, but wondered about them being generally dirty? As they are tools, they have collected an aray of stains from oil to paint, will this need to be cleaned off?:confused:

I will do my best, but any advice or info from your own experiences would be greatly appreciated.:unsure:

Thanks,
Kenny

Trevski Jan 29th 2008 8:20 am

Re: How Clean does Machinery have to be?????

Hi
im affraid that if they think it is not clean enough then they will charge you plenty,some people who we migrated to australia had their shoes pulled and they were charged $60.00 to clean a pair of golf shoes,so they told them not to bother, customs now have charged them $20.00 to dispose of them,customs will have you if they want to
all the best

moneypenny20 Jan 29th 2008 8:48 am

We compressor cleaned everything - I mean everything - from the shed, then sanded off all rust, compressed again, painted where necessary - we now have some very old tools that are gold :D, wd40'd everything and everything was passed no problem, We had many many tools, some about 70 years old that him outdoors was not prepared to let go of.

travelbug Jan 29th 2008 10:59 am

Originally Posted by moneypen20 (Post 5852617)
We compressor cleaned everything - I mean everything - from the shed, then sanded off all rust, compressed again, painted where necessary - we now have some very old tools that are gold :D, wd40'd everything and everything was passed no problem, We had many many tools, some about 70 years old that him outdoors was not prepared to let go of.

what have people done with tools / garden stuff etc once cleaned? Have you just made sure you packed them straight away in boxes and haven't used them prior to shipping? We know that we will need certain things right up to when we're due to ship stuff.....

moneypenny20 Jan 29th 2008 11:40 am

We were able to put everything either in the tool boxes - also cleaned within an inch of their lives, or wrapped in paper. Perhaps if you keep the stuff you're going to need to a minimum, clean it with everything else and then when the packers are there, they'll only need a final once over. Should be fine. Just make sure everything is bone dry and use plenty of WD40 (sorry, I'm obsessed with the stuff :lol:).

kkwall36 Jan 29th 2008 5:41 pm

Thanks everyone.

I kind of get the idea!:blink:

Clean and Clean and when you think it is clean.....clean somemore!:p

I will liberallly use the wb40, and attempt to remove any rust etc. (Dremel to the rescue)

Cheers,

Nozzys Jan 29th 2008 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by travelbug (Post 5853203)
what have people done with tools / garden stuff etc once cleaned? Have you just made sure you packed them straight away in boxes and haven't used them prior to shipping? We know that we will need certain things right up to when we're due to ship stuff.....

After thoroughly cleaning we sprayed everything that had been outside, garden furniture, tools, lawnmower, bikes etc. with Vircon S - the shippers had recommended this. Even wiped over the soles of all the shoes with it. It can only be sprayed on within 24 hours of being packed if I remember rightly. We obtained Vircon S from a local pet/horse suppliers. They use it to disenfect stables etc. It comes in sachets, very cheap and you just mix it with water. Shippers noted which items had been treated with Vircon S on the paperwork sent with everything. None of our stuff got pulled on inspection.

Nat X