Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How clean is CLEAN for the inspectors

How clean is CLEAN for the inspectors

Old May 11th 2005, 9:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

BillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura about
Default How clean is CLEAN for the inspectors

Hi all

Have just finished cleaning some wooden garden furniture with JEYES fluid and a scrubbing brush, cleaner than it was first bought i say, is this good enough for the customs inspectors?

Dont have much 'dirty' stuff to take, but just wanted to make sure what is expected :scared:

Cheers

Bill
Old May 11th 2005, 10:25 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How clean is CLEAN for the inspectors

They are looking for mud/grains of english dirt (which contain or may contain all the english diseases and nasties - unlike you who of course wont and wont be jet-washed at the airport) - if you cant see any then its fine.

Might be worth wrapping them in clear cellophane or something to show they've been cleaned?. Cling wrap maybe so they can see the thing and get to it easily in Aus but not in transit between...
Old May 11th 2005, 10:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

BillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by spalen
They are looking for mud/grains of english dirt (which contain or may contain all the english diseases and nasties - unlike you who of course wont and wont be jet-washed at the airport) - if you cant see any then its fine.

Might be worth wrapping them in clear cellophane or something to show they've been cleaned?. Cling wrap maybe so they can see the thing and get to it easily in Aus but not in transit between...

Cheers Spalen

Just glad there wont be any english mud on them, I take it goes the same for the clean, organic scottish stuff

Bill
Old May 11th 2005, 11:02 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yeah sorry - British Mud, I think they might let you get away with mud from the Isle of Wight , Isle of Skye, etc. ;-)

As opposed to mud from the Empire (which would be aussie mud too)

They call VE day here - Victory In Empire, I always thought it was Victory in Europe but I guess i must've been wrong or has it been rebranded here to gain more involvement from the Aussies... ;-)
Old May 12th 2005, 1:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spalen
Oh yeah sorry - British Mud, I think they might let you get away with mud from the Isle of Wight , Isle of Skye, etc. ;-)

As opposed to mud from the Empire (which would be aussie mud too)

They call VE day here - Victory In Empire, I always thought it was Victory in Europe but I guess i must've been wrong or has it been rebranded here to gain more involvement from the Aussies... ;-)
Our lawn mower and golf bag were both seized by quarantine depsite having been steam cleaned. Our removals guys said it was standard. At least in his experience. It cost us $90 to get them back.

HTH
Old May 12th 2005, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
Our lawn mower and golf bag were both seized by quarantine depsite having been steam cleaned. Our removals guys said it was standard. At least in his experience. It cost us $90 to get them back.

HTH

Cheers HTH

Am a bit worried about the golf clubs, dont know how clean i can get them, to much hacking about in the rough, loads of ingrained mud

Not taking the mower,but a bit concerned with the jigsaw (not the 1000 pieces type!) as it has wood dust i cant get off.

Is wood a problem

Bill
Old May 12th 2005, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=BillnLinz]Cheers HTH

Am a bit worried about the golf clubs, dont know how clean i can get them, to much hacking about in the rough, loads of ingrained mud

Hi Bill

I took my clubs out last year when we went for a holiday, I cleaned them up as best as I could and then wrapped them in bubble wrap. I declared them at customs and they even thanked me for making thier life easy for them.
I did not bother taking my golf shoes as they are so cheap out there, $85.00 for a really good pair.

John
Old May 12th 2005, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=jond]
Originally Posted by BillnLinz
Cheers HTH

Hi Bill

I took my clubs out last year when we went for a holiday, I cleaned them up as best as I could and then wrapped them in bubble wrap. I declared them at customs and they even thanked me for making thier life easy for them.
I did not bother taking my golf shoes as they are so cheap out there, $85.00 for a really good pair.

John
HTH - Hope This Helps!! It's not my name!!!
Old May 12th 2005, 10:55 am
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

Try soaking your golf clubs in Coca Cola overnight, that should make them look like new!!
Old May 12th 2005, 12:06 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BillnLinz
Hi all

Have just finished cleaning some wooden garden furniture with JEYES fluid and a scrubbing brush, cleaner than it was first bought i say, is this good enough for the customs inspectors?

Dont have much 'dirty' stuff to take, but just wanted to make sure what is expected :scared:

Cheers

Bill

It's not the mud, dirt etc they look for in wooden products like yours, no matter how hard you clean it. Its the little borers etc that could possibly live in the timber that they will want to guard against. You'll probably find they will scrutinise it more closely and then have it treated.

The clowns confiscated one of the wife's hats and was going to nuke it because it had a flower on it. The fact that it was PLASTIC didn't enter into the equation, it could possibly have things that could damage the environment.
Old May 12th 2005, 12:11 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

HTH
Were the drivers made of wood? Also they would probably be looking for small seeds that have got caught in the stitching of the bag and in the hard to get at crevices of the mower. Unless you pulled every little part completely apart you couldn't be sure of getting everything out.
Old May 12th 2005, 2:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

HTH - Hope This Helps!! It's not my name!!!

Sorry the Joneses, cant keep up with you lot