Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How to chose an area/school to live in??

How to chose an area/school to live in??

Old Apr 30th 2016, 7:23 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to chose an area/school to live in??

Originally Posted by googley2
Ruled out Queensland as read it can be quite colour prejudice there, my daughter is mixed race and suffers with anxiety due to bullying. All she wants is some friends to play with and I dont want her to have to face any more emotional issues. Seems not the best area is your not pure Australian although I havent been there to visit to find out for myself, just doing research now. Thanks for the info.
Don't think its any worse or any better than most other parts of Australia nowadays. The more remote you go the more comments you may get but if its your daughter you're worried about kids are kids wherever they are. Many Queensland schools now have a huge number of immigrant children, white or otherwise, as wel as those born to previous migrants, and also many aboriginal children as well.
Old Apr 30th 2016, 7:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Ruled out Queensland as read it can be quite colour prejudice there, my daughter is mixed race and suffers with anxiety due to bullying. All she wants is some friends to play with and I dont want her to have to face any more emotional issues. Seems not the best area is your not pure Australian although I havent been there to visit to find out for myself, just doing research now. Thanks for the info.
Googley, you see, to be reading some very odd things here. A state cannot be prejudiced as a whole, only individuals bear prejudices and these individuals are in a minority and can live in any part of the country. Same as in UK.
Old Apr 30th 2016, 9:05 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry but that's nonsense. Also if someone is considered 'pure Australian' they're more likely to be Aborigine than anything else. Do you have any idea exactly how huge Queensland is? To claim 'it's' racist is bizarre, I don't know who you are talking to or what you're reading but they're/it's wrong. People are racist, not places and there are just under 5 million people here. Some will be racist as there are arseholes everywhere but most are not (in my limited experience).
Old Apr 30th 2016, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have any idea how many mixed race relationships there are in Oz? (the answer is lots).
Old Apr 30th 2016, 9:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

We have been given citizenship as my grandmother and mother was Australian which I only found out about a few years ago. Obviously I wouldnt dream of such a move without making sure all the legalities were in place beforehand.
But you would move to a country with crazy misguided perceptions that are completely removed anything like Australia. Sorry, I am not trying to be rude. But beachy Canberra,flu and sickness free Australia, pure Australians?? !!!.... It sounds from your house budget you or your partner could easily afford to visit the dream land, get a reality check/research trip underway asap!

Last edited by Pollyana; May 1st 2016 at 4:46 am. Reason: fixing the quote
Old Apr 30th 2016, 11:51 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I was a pure Australian until I was 16, when I met a hunky surfer dude one night on the beach
Old May 1st 2016, 2:40 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I was a pure Australian until I was 16, when I met a hunky surfer dude one night on the beach
Old May 1st 2016, 3:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Ho ho. That's a cracker of a paragraph. The "prejudice" of what you said is outstanding.

I wouldn't live in Queensland for many reasons but none to do with colour prejudice.

Look up a photo of the Queensland State of Origin team and tell me what colour the bulk of the players are.
Old May 1st 2016, 5:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
But you would move to a country with crazy misguided perceptions that are completely removed anything like Australia. Sorry, I am not trying to be rude. But beachy Canberra,flu and sickness free Australia, pure Australians?? !!!.... It sounds from your house budget you or your partner could easily afford to visit the dream land, get a reality check/research trip underway asap!
I the OP is given to sweeping generalizations as they've made a similar one about school placements in MBTTUK.

We need a Daily Fail detox, STAT!
Old May 1st 2016, 5:55 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
You dirty girl.
Old May 1st 2016, 11:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
Do you have any idea how many mixed race relationships there are in Oz? (the answer is lots).
Indeed. Even here in suburban Melbourne, my mixed up little kid is just part of the crowd. The blond kids are the ones who stand out!

In my daughter's class of 22, there are children from : America (Afro American), Somalia, Wales, Lebanon, Germany, Netherlands, Hungary, Vietnam- they are just the ones I know.
Old May 2nd 2016, 2:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pomster

Indeed. Even here in suburban Melbourne, my mixed up little kid is just part of the crowd. The blond kids are the ones who stand out!
That is so true

My youngest is 185cm, white hair ( natural white not dyed ) alabaster skin, and pale blue eyes. We live in a very multi cultural area close to a huge vietnamese area. People especially when we first arrived just gawp at him. Small children look up and point

Its kinda funny but a little bit annoying now. Hes a student paramedic and on prac they had to do patient pick ups, mostly elderly, they all used to comment things like how lovely he was, one said he looked like a angel, poor lady obviously does not know him

Middle son and I are a more regular height but blonde and green eyes, not unusual to get comments. My Doctor is the funniest, from Sri lanka, loves my still slightly brit accent, and jokes about me being from the Great British Empire
Old May 2nd 2016, 2:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Our daughter is having a bet each way, sometimes to me she looks Anglo enough to be from Cronulla, other times she looks Asian enough to be from Eastwood.

Living in Winchester in the UK, everyone assumes that she is one of the many kids from China being prepped for the £15k per Pilgrims Scool, then they see our car.