Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How to choose a car in Melbourne?

How to choose a car in Melbourne?

Old Aug 12th 2005, 5:23 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of
Default How to choose a car in Melbourne?

How on earth are you supposed to pick one?

Thought to narrow it down I'd only go to the private sales (should be cheaper?), mileage under 100k km, up to 6 years old and 4 doors. Also a smaller engine would be good but I like the size and safety of bigger cars.

With a budget of around $13.5k I thought I'd be ok but I'm very confused.

Holden Vectra seemed sensible but the bigger commodore seems cheaper and there are loads of them but how do you tell the difference?

Any recommendations would be gratefully received or any information on how you go about registering it once you have it or where to get insurance (does it matter that we're on a 457 visa?)
Old Aug 12th 2005, 5:27 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: How to choose a car in Melbourne?

Originally Posted by flip
How on earth are you supposed to pick one?

Thought to narrow it down I'd only go to the private sales (should be cheaper?), mileage under 100k km, up to 6 years old and 4 doors. Also a smaller engine would be good but I like the size and safety of bigger cars.

With a budget of around $13.5k I thought I'd be ok but I'm very confused.

Holden Vectra seemed sensible but the bigger commodore seems cheaper and there are loads of them but how do you tell the difference?

Any recommendations would be gratefully received or any information on how you go about registering it once you have it or where to get insurance (does it matter that we're on a 457 visa?)

Well I asked my mechanic last year when I was buying one & he recommended either Toyota or Nissan followed by Holden or ford & NOT to touch Dawioo
Old Aug 12th 2005, 7:04 am
BE Enthusiast

robert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bordy
Well I asked my mechanic last year when I was buying one & he recommended either Toyota or Nissan followed by Holden or ford & NOT to touch Dawioo
did he say why not to touch daewoo? bought a holden astra as a 1st car and a daewoo as 2nd for my daughter to learn to drive in
Old Aug 12th 2005, 7:25 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by robert cowan
did he say why not to touch daewoo? bought a holden astra as a 1st car and a daewoo as 2nd for my daughter to learn to drive in
Yeah, he said it was one of the most popular makes coming in to be fixed. I suppose you get good & bad with every make though.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 7:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robert cowan

I think daewoo, stopped trading in Aussie, and parts are hard to come by ?