Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How to chill white wine quickly

How to chill white wine quickly

Old Dec 27th 2004, 7:27 am
I AM 1 PERSON-UNDERSTAND?

SherKhan66 will become famous soon enough
Default How to chill white wine quickly

Got e-mailed an interesting fact today...if you want to quickly chill a bottle of white wine you should do it in an ice bucket containing ice, water and salt...apparently the salt brings the temp down quickly - going to try this now and will let you know what happens...could be a useful tip for when friends pop round at short notice if it works. Anyone else tried this? Or knows why this works? For a ten minute quick chill it beats even putting the bottle in the freezer. Great tip for when you are having a barbecue!
John
Old Dec 27th 2004, 7:37 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all
Default Re: How to chill white wine quickly

Originally Posted by SherKhan66
Got e-mailed an interesting fact today...if you want to quickly chill a bottle of white wine you should do it in an ice bucket containing ice, water and salt...apparently the salt brings the temp down quickly - going to try this now and will let you know what happens...could be a useful tip for when friends pop round at short notice if it works. Anyone else tried this? Or knows why this works? For a ten minute quick chill it beats even putting the bottle in the freezer. Great tip for when you are having a barbecue!
John
at a guess the salt would make the ice melt faster as it would decrease the freezing temperature at which the ice would remain ice... or something like that. basically you'll end up with colder water than you would have if you just let the ice melt at room temperature coz salt water freezes at a lower temperature than ordinary water. i think.
Old Dec 27th 2004, 7:46 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Or you could go into Woolworths or Dan Murphys and buy a bottle of wine, pop it into their speed chillers....5-10 mins later.....whammo!! A chilled bottle of wine...
Old Dec 27th 2004, 7:48 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

here another tip, having thought about it. If you want your ice in the ice bucket to last longer, mix the water with a bit of salt before freezing the ice cubes This also works with ice to put in drinks but obviously don't put so much salt in that you can taste it!
Old Dec 27th 2004, 8:59 am
I AM 1 PERSON-UNDERSTAND?

SherKhan66 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by scutterUK
at a guess the salt would make the ice melt faster as it would decrease the freezing temperature at which the ice would remain ice... or something like that. basically you'll end up with colder water than you would have if you just let the ice melt at room temperature coz salt water freezes at a lower temperature than ordinary water. i think.
Yeah, I suppose that makes a bit of sense actually. Probably more so after I've actually drunk the wine though

BTW, sort of on topic - the best Oz white wine we've had recently by a royal mile is without doubt....

Lindemans Bin 65 Chardonnay - about 7 or 8 dollars and it's an absolute stunner. Rich and buttery - It will blow you away and at a bargain price.

Amazing quality