Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

HOw to change .co.uk to .com.au for business purposes?

Wikiposts

HOw to change .co.uk to .com.au for business purposes?

Old Apr 25th 2005, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute
Default HOw to change .co.uk to .com.au for business purposes?

Hello all,

I had my own business in the UK and am thinking of starting up again in the same vein over here.

I was a www.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXx.co.uk and am wondering if anyone knows how to go about changing it to www.XXXXXXXX.com.au

I got my web address from 123reg in the UK if that helps.

Plus, anything I should know about regarding setting up a business from scratch? Already have TFN and hubby has TFN and ABN (which we applied for online and had the number at the end of the process). Presume I also just need ABN?

Sorry, bit of a boring post really!!!

Thanks so much if anyone can help?
Old Apr 25th 2005, 11:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

boom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: HOw to change .co.uk to .com.au for business purposes?

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
Hello all,

I had my own business in the UK and am thinking of starting up again in the same vein over here.

I was a www.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXx.co.uk and am wondering if anyone knows how to go about changing it to www.XXXXXXXX.com.au

Plus, anything I should know about regarding setting up a business from scratch? Already have TFN and hubby has TFN and ABN (which we applied for online and had the number at the end of the process). Presume I also just need ABN?

123reg can register the .com.au domain name for you (obviously for a charge) and then you can either let the .co.uk address lapse so you aren't paying for it or you can set it up to redirect to the .com.au address
Old Apr 25th 2005, 11:32 pm
Forum Regular

Phil-UK will become famous soon enough

Hello all,

Hi,

You can't convert a .co.uk to a .com.au or any other domain name space for that matter. What you will have to do is register the .com.au address (probably with an Oz domain name provider) so you will effectively have two domains.

So if your biz is www.mybiz.co.uk you would need to register www.mybiz.com.au, assuming it's not taken. What you can then do is upload all you web pages to the .com.au site and redirect anyone who goes to .co.uk to your new .com.au homepage.

I hope that makes sense.

Phil
Old Apr 25th 2005, 11:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

gavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nice

Hello all,

Hi

First thing to do will be to register your new domain name in Australia. Have a look at http://www.domainregistration.com.au/ to get an idea of availability and cost - I haven't used them, but it's a start...

Next would be to find someone to host your new domain in Oz. Then transfer your web site to the new host. Not that it matters where your host is, it could still be in the UK if you want, just a matter of invoicing etc.

Speak to your current .co.uk host and ask them to set up a redirection to your new Oz web site (IP address) or just cancel it if you don't need it anymore.

Hope that helps

Gav
Old Apr 25th 2005, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

Wonderful, that makes sense.

The people I had doing my design/webhosting in the UK were excellent, so happy to go through them again.

So, will see if the domain name is taken then go from there.

Cheers all

Mrs Jones
Old Apr 25th 2005, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks all, that makes sense.

Will do as advised, very grateful.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 1:38 am
Just Joined

ajec is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all, that makes sense.

Will do as advised, very grateful.

We have registered several domain names in WA using netregistry and melbourneit but have always had to register the business name first with the department of consumer protection - on St George's Terrace in Perth. Your domain name has to be a part or same as the registered name. On the form you fill in to apply for the domaine name it asks you for the registered business name and number - not sure if this will apply to you but worth looking into.

Good luck!