Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How can migrant accountants find employment in Australia

How can migrant accountants find employment in Australia

Old Jun 5th 2013, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

oz1234 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How can migrant accountants find employment in Australia

I have migrated to Melbourne about 4 months back and have yet not been able to secure job in Accounting. I have worked in accounting and finance for over four years in Sri Lanka and is qualified in CIMA -UK.

I have been applying even for very basic clerical level positions and graduate accounting positions. There have been instances where my resume was icked by agents but then they call and find out that my experience is not with in Australia, then they are like "sorry we can't help you, our client requires candidates with Australian experience". I have applied to organizations directly as well but all I have been getting was bunch of rejection emails.

I would like to know how to overcome this barrier of not having Aus experience? I tried looking for internships even but some agencies asked me to pay about AUD 2000 to get me 3 months non paid internship. I thought that is a waste.

Iam on the process of getting my CIMA converted to CPA but wondering whether it will hlp me secure a job because real problem is agents insisting that I dont have Australian Experience and by getting CPA I'd be having an Australian Qualification on my resume but still no Australian experience. I often wonder and asked those agents even "how can I have Australian Experience without been given a chance to prove myself?"

As skill migration issues high number of visas for accountants every year Iam sure there are lot of accountants who have come here. How did you'll over come this barrier? Especially the Asians whose experience is not regarded here? I know the market has worsened from the last year but it doesnt mean all recent accountants are without jobs right?
Please share your story. I feel like I have tried everything, looking for some tips in people who had similar experiences recently.

British Expat forum was very useful in my skill migration process as I received valuable advices many times , same way I hope I can use your expertise to help me in finding my career here. I feel so helpless
Thank You!
Old Jun 5th 2013, 9:12 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How can migrant accountants find employment in Australia

Originally Posted by oz1234
I have migrated to Melbourne about 4 months back and have yet not been able to secure job in Accounting. I have worked in accounting and finance for over four years in Sri Lanka and is qualified in CIMA -UK.

I have been applying even for very basic clerical level positions and graduate accounting positions. There have been instances where my resume was icked by agents but then they call and find out that my experience is not with in Australia, then they are like "sorry we can't help you, our client requires candidates with Australian experience". I have applied to organizations directly as well but all I have been getting was bunch of rejection emails.

I would like to know how to overcome this barrier of not having Aus experience? I tried looking for internships even but some agencies asked me to pay about AUD 2000 to get me 3 months non paid internship. I thought that is a waste.

Iam on the process of getting my CIMA converted to CPA but wondering whether it will hlp me secure a job because real problem is agents insisting that I dont have Australian Experience and by getting CPA I'd be having an Australian Qualification on my resume but still no Australian experience. I often wonder and asked those agents even "how can I have Australian Experience without been given a chance to prove myself?"

As skill migration issues high number of visas for accountants every year Iam sure there are lot of accountants who have come here. How did you'll over come this barrier? Especially the Asians whose experience is not regarded here? I know the market has worsened from the last year but it doesnt mean all recent accountants are without jobs right?
Please share your story. I feel like I have tried everything, looking for some tips in people who had similar experiences recently.

British Expat forum was very useful in my skill migration process as I received valuable advices many times , same way I hope I can use your expertise to help me in finding my career here. I feel so helpless
Thank You!
Sorry to hear you are going through this but I'm afraid its the norm for new migrants and nothing new mate what you are going through is run of the mill job applications. It hasn't changed for migrants for years and its prolly even worse because of the economy and job cutbacks in all sectors and all states - jeez some poor buggars who have lived in Aus years are finding it really hard to find work in skilled and non skilled work due to the current economic climate.

don't blame yourself or your skills its just how it is so keep on applying one day you'll get lucky mate
Old Jun 5th 2013, 11:15 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thank You!
You could try volunteering your services to a not for profit agency. There's bound to be more than one that would snap you up, and in addition to gaining experience in Australia and getting an Australian referee on your CV, it'd be a great help to your local community.
Old Jun 5th 2013, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

ABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
You could try volunteering your services to a not for profit agency. There's bound to be more than one that would snap you up, and in addition to gaining experience in Australia and getting an Australian referee on your CV, it'd be a great help to your local community.
That does work. I did the same many years ago, volunteered for 3 months at the Royal Blind Society in the accounting department, and then had a resume that worked.

www.volunteeringaustralia.org
Old Jun 5th 2013, 11:39 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

with the financial year end coming (30 June) there are plenty of contract positions usually available for the financial reporting. that's how i got my first aussie experience. but i'm in Sydney which is arguably stronger economically (lower unemployment rate) than Melbourne so i can't speak about the Melbourne market.
Old Jun 5th 2013, 1:03 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCD......
That does work. I did the same many years ago, volunteered for 3 months at the Royal Blind Society in the accounting department, and then had a resume that worked.

www.volunteeringaustralia.org
Nice one
Old Jun 5th 2013, 6:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Although you might have heard this line trotted out more than once, don't get yourself worked up about Australian experience. In fact they are just fobbing you off, so work on your CV and presentation and find another agent. You need to make a great impression on an agent so that they will put you forward.

As you have noted yourself, many accountants move to Australia and if it were true that it were not possible to find work without Australian experience then there would be no non Australian accountants working here. The volunteering is a great idea and you might as well try it, but we don't all start out by volunteering either.

I expect you are mainly struggling because the job market is very competitive for accountants t the moment and anyone looking for work might struggle. So keep focused on that and on making yourself as attractive as possible to employers rather than being hung up on local experience. Accounting is not that different no matter what country you are in.

Another tip from me, don't aim too low, applying for clerical or graduate positions when you are really four years qualified tells me that you don't think you are very good.
Old Jun 6th 2013, 1:47 am
Forum Regular

oz1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank You!
Thank you everyone for the encouraging words. Actually I started volunteering 2 days per week at a charity organization. The work I do is mostly administration with little bit exposure to accounts in payable and receivable functions. In addition I followed a course in taxation as well. Iam hoping to get seasonal work in taxation (which is only for about 3 months). Would that increase my chances to get employed uin Accounting, atleast having tax related Australian experience on my resume?