Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How can I get a 457 visa quick?

How can I get a 457 visa quick?

Old Nov 27th 2002, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

gbarker is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face How can I get a 457 visa quick?

Our PR Application has only been in a couple of months, and we are resigned to the fact we are in for a long wait. Is there anyway we can get out sooner on a 457 visa in the meantime? On our last visit I visited a management company who were prepared to arrange a PBQS -the snag being I have to arrange the job first. Very difficult when you are in the UK! I'm an IT Manager and my partner is an HR Manager. Any ideas or advice?
Old Nov 27th 2002, 10:20 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How can I get a 457 visa quick?

If you are an IT manager and are happy to move to Melbourne you could seek a State Nomination - a Skilled-State Nominated Independent visa should be granted in 4 to 6 months.

Just a thought ...

Best regards.

Originally posted by gbarker
Our PR Application has only been in a couple of months, and we are resigned to the fact we are in for a long wait. Is there anyway we can get out sooner on a 457 visa in the meantime? On our last visit I visited a management company who were prepared to arrange a PBQS -the snag being I have to arrange the job first. Very difficult when you are in the UK! I'm an IT Manager and my partner is an HR Manager. Any ideas or advice?
Old Nov 27th 2002, 11:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

shorrock is on a distinguished road

Hi

Are you really sure you want to come out sooner and you can't wait 12 months???

I've been reading the forum now for 6 months and read stories of people wanting to come to oz ASAP. The problems are the physical move. If you have a house to sell and things to ship to oz, it's going to take time. 12 weeks on avg to sell the house once you find a buyer.

If you did get the 457, you employer would expect you to start work ASAP. Selling the house, getting movers in, transporting pets and the like takes time.

Also, assuming your applying for a Skilled independant visa. You have to leave Australia to collect it. Which means more expense, flights to NZ or singapore.

On another point. IT market here in Australia is very bad at the moment and it coming up to xmass. Finding a job will not be easy. THe job market doesn't pick up until Feb. Lots of job adverts now say AU people only.

Sit tight and the 12 months will nearly be up. I put my application in 3 months ago.

Try and earn as much cash as possible, because once you start to earn AU $$$'s your going to wish you had stashed that cash.

If you really want to come to oz. Sell up and come here on a tourist visa and spend the next 12 month travelling with 3 or 4 side trips to NZ, coz your tourist visa runs out after 3 months.

Any reason why you can't wait the cops after you

Kieron
Old Nov 28th 2002, 12:26 am
Retired *********

pread is an unknown quantity at this point

gbarker,

Not all PQBS sponsors require that you have a job before they will sponsor you (mine didn't), but in theory, if you don't work for 4 weeks, your sponsor can revoke their sponsorship. And DIMA can kick you out, which is presumably why your PQBS company has a prior job requirement. But trying to sort out a job while outside of Australia is next to impossible. I tried this, and the agencies just tell you to call them once you're in situ.

I am currently in Melbourne on a PQBS-sponsored 457 visa. If you wish to contact me directly, send me a PM.

Cheers,
Paul.

Old Nov 28th 2002, 10:39 am
Forum Regular

gbarker is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile

Well, at least it looks like there might be options open to me!
In an ideal world I would like to come across in March - gives me time to tie up all the loose ends over here, and something positive to work towards throughout the UK winter. I don't mind the idea of moving down to Melbourne if that is going to knock 6 months off the wait. I think I may pursue that option further.

Thanks for all the positive info given so far.