Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How big are spiders in Oz?

How big are spiders in Oz?

Old Aug 25th 2005, 9:00 pm
Just Joined

katy marks has a spectacular aura aboutkaty marks has a spectacular aura aboutkaty marks has a spectacular aura about
Smile How big are spiders in Oz?

Hello,

I Have A Phobia Of Spiders, Which I Am Currently Getting Therapy For- Which Is Going Well. I Need To Know Though What Is The Average Size Of A Spider In Australia???

I Really Need To Know. It Sounds A Daft Question But I Need To Prepare Myself.

I Could Also Do With Knowing How Often You See Them But That Question Is Not As Important As The Average Size Of The Spiders.

Please Help

Katie
Old Aug 25th 2005, 9:04 pm

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How big are spiders in Oz?

Originally Posted by katy marks
Hello,

I Have A Phobia Of Spiders, Which I Am Currently Getting Therapy For- Which Is Going Well. I Need To Know Though What Is The Average Size Of A Spider In Australia???

I Could Also Do With Knowing How Often You See Them But That Question Is Not As Important As The Average Size Of The Spiders.

Please Help

Katie
Look at the "humungous spider" thread just down the page. The second picture of a spider is a huntsman in WA.
Old Aug 25th 2005, 9:04 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

Please Help

Katie
BIG! Nah, not all of them. I had a real fear before I validated in OZ but although I am not totaly over it I am a bit better behaved around them. Try a wee search. There have been some useful posts about this.

Hope your therapy helps.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Aug 25th 2005, 9:05 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

Please Help

Katie
Poor You Katie , I feel for you as I don't like them either, but don't worry they are no bigger than your leg
Attached Thumbnails How big are spiders in Oz?-image001.jpg  
Old Aug 25th 2005, 9:23 pm
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Brisben
but don't worry they are no bigger than your leg

OR! ..... no bigger than a toilet roll of course! ...

Old Aug 25th 2005, 9:41 pm
Anyone seen my coat???

chopper boy is just really nicechopper boy is just really nicechopper boy is just really nicechopper boy is just really nicechopper boy is just really nicechopper boy is just really nicechopper boy is just really nicechopper boy is just really nice

It's not the big ones you need to worry about.
It's the li'l buggers that'll do the damage.
When we were in Brissy we saw one as big as a labrador............................
Or was that a labrador???????????????

Cheers'en.

Not long now!
Old Aug 25th 2005, 9:50 pm
Banned

Bradley7 will become famous soon enoughBradley7 will become famous soon enough

Hello,

Please Help

Katie

Spiders in Aus are -
MASSIVE

But it's not the big ones that'll kill ya
Wouildn't worry about em too much though Sharks, Crocs, Jellyfish and snake take far more people than lil old spiders
Old Aug 25th 2005, 9:58 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: How big are spiders in Oz?

Hello,

Please Help

Katie
Ironically, the harmless ones are the biggest; as a general rule of thumb, they get deadlier as they get smaller.

Only real exception to this rule is the Sydney funnelweb spider... :scared:
Old Aug 25th 2005, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

claire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant future

The one of the spider on the loo roll sent shivers down my spine, can you imagine being woke up with that crawling over you :scared:
Old Aug 25th 2005, 10:07 pm
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by claire33
The one of the spider on the loo roll sent shivers down my spine, can you imagine being woke up with that crawling over you :scared:

Hi Claire, yeah I bounce that one out once in a while ....lol, but as ppl say, it's the small ones that are worse!

No expert, but I think the loo roll one is a Huntsman, and it's the Redbacks that are worse. I think the Huntsman is good for getting rid of Roaches tho, which is good in my books! ...
Old Aug 25th 2005, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

claire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Jim2004
Hi Claire, yeah I bounce that one out once in a while ....lol, but as ppl say, it's the small ones that are worse!

No expert, but I think the loo roll one is a Huntsman, and it's the Redbacks that are worse. I think the Huntsman is good for getting rid of Roaches tho, which is good in my books! ...
Hi Paul,

Yeah I am sure that I had the pleasure of seeing one of those whilst on Rottnest, and yeah you would need something that big to get rid of the roaches only ever seen one of those whilst over there and that was bloody huge too!!!
Old Aug 25th 2005, 10:15 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by claire33
Hi Paul,

Yeah I am sure that I had the pleasure of seeing one of those whilst on Rottnest, and yeah you would need something that big to get rid of the roaches only ever seen one of those whilst over there and that was bloody huge too!!!
Yeah and don't they have flying Roaches too! ... :scared:
Old Aug 25th 2005, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jim2004
Yeah and don't they have flying Roaches too! ... :scared:

totally off topic now, hows things going for you have you made any final decisions yet??
Old Aug 26th 2005, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bradley7
Spiders in Aus are -
MASSIVE

But it's not the big ones that'll kill ya
Wouildn't worry about em too much though Sharks, Crocs, Jellyfish and snake take far more people than lil old spiders
But how about the heart attacks people get when one of the huge ones appears?
Old Aug 26th 2005, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

NIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really nice

Hello,

Please Help

Katie
Hello

I don't know how serious your question was, however if it was serious some of the answers posted were probably seriously unhelpful!

The picture of the spider as big as your leg was taken in the gulf, these are sand spiders (not in Aus)

If you want brief information try this http://www.termite.com/spider-identification.html It gives brief descriptions, as well as some sizes of common spiders.

Hope this helps

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.