Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How big is aus drug problem?

How big is aus drug problem?

Old Apr 9th 2005, 7:33 pm
patrickgoldsmith

patrickgoldsmith is on a distinguished road
Default How big is aus drug problem?

I have just read and replied to jwinch,s post about pot smoking.
Just wanted to know how aus compares to the uk in terms of evident drug use and the effects?
Old Apr 9th 2005, 7:41 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all
Default Re: How big is aus drug problem?

I didn`t go to high school in the UK, but in Aus pot is pretty prevalent in your teens. Nothing much stronger than that. I think it`s a bigger problem in the UK afaik.

If you`re not into drugs then it`s not a problem. If you are then you will find them somewhere.
Old Apr 9th 2005, 7:45 pm
patrickgoldsmith

Originally Posted by Stormz
I didn`t go to high school in the UK, but in Aus pot is pretty prevalent in your teens. Nothing much stronger than that. I think it`s a bigger problem in the UK afaik.

If you`re not into drugs then it`s not a problem. If you are then you will find them somewhere.
Cheers Stormz but i hate drugs to be honest although i do drink and smoke i just don,t wanna throw my kids outa the fryin pan into the fire!!
Old Apr 9th 2005, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

Didnaeseeu is a jewel in the roughDidnaeseeu is a jewel in the roughDidnaeseeu is a jewel in the roughDidnaeseeu is a jewel in the roughDidnaeseeu is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by patrickgoldsmith
Cheers Stormz but i hate drugs to be honest although i do drink and smoke i just don,t wanna throw my kids outa the fryin pan into the fire!!
Really this is not such a big issue as some people make out!!!

When I was growing up most people smoked pot at some point throughout highschool, it was all part of growing up!!!

I now have children and I can tell you this I hope they never smoke anything but it they had to try pot I would rather they have a silly year or so with this than became a loser who smoked tabs all their lives!!!!!

My opinion not a professional one!!
Old Apr 9th 2005, 8:20 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by Stormz
This is true, the only difference I found in Australia and this is with reference to the harder drugs is the drug buckets in public loo's, I could not recall seeing them before, or those blue lights. You get them in loo's and kids playgrounds in Oz so the smack heads can't see their veins.

Has anyone seen those in the UK? Seems sensible to me?

Seen the same probs in the UK and Oz, so neither place immune.

M

Old Apr 9th 2005, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

Didnaeseeu is a jewel in the roughDidnaeseeu is a jewel in the roughDidnaeseeu is a jewel in the roughDidnaeseeu is a jewel in the roughDidnaeseeu is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Merlot
This is true, the only difference I found in Australia and this is with reference to the harder drugs is the drug buckets in public loo's, I could not recall seeing them before, or those blue lights. You get them in loo's and kids playgrounds in Oz so the smack heads can't see their veins.

Has anyone seen those in the UK? Seems sensible to me?

Seen the same probs in the UK and Oz, so neither place immune.

M
These blue lights do also exist up here anyway. Hubby was just saying that he has had to install them before, especially in cinema toilets, where the junkies go, buy a cheap ticket (daytime), jackup in the toilet and sit at back of the screen (seems to be a big problem)!!!!

Although, I must confess although drugs are a major problem in most societies these days, I do not agree with some peoples thoughts on smoking dope will deffo lead onto harder drugs. Most of my schoolmates smoked dope and none went onto anything harder. Some did in our school although they were never my friends or even acquantances.

So in my view these people are in a different league, if you are very susceptable to peer pressure this may happen (not a lot of teenagers actually are, believe it or not)!!!!

I think good parenting means a lot and being aware of what the signs are!!!

Kids are a pain in the butt but we all want them to suceed and do the best they can!!!
Old Apr 9th 2005, 8:35 pm
patrickgoldsmith

Originally Posted by Didnaeseeu
Really this is not such a big issue as some people make out!!!

When I was growing up most people smoked pot at some point throughout highschool, it was all part of growing up!!!

I now have children and I can tell you this I hope they never smoke anything but it they had to try pot I would rather they have a silly year or so with this than became a loser who smoked tabs all their lives!!!!!

My opinion not a professional one!!
Sorry but i don,t think you have a clue about drugs or asociated issues
Old Apr 9th 2005, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry but i don,t think you have a clue about drugs or asociated issues

Please explain what you are trying to say!!!

I have lots of experience with drug users, I work in the main hospital in Aberdeen!!!
Old Apr 9th 2005, 8:38 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by Didnaeseeu
These blue lights do also exist up here anyway. Hubby was just saying that he has had to install them before, especially in cinema toilets, where the junkies go, buy a cheap ticket (daytime), jackup in the toilet and sit at back of the screen (seems to be a big problem)!!!!
Wonderful isn't it, the way the world is going, never seen them around here but maybe I have not been looking.

Like many I have tried various things in my life and I agree that smoking dope certainly does not mean it leads to hard drugs, otherwise the most of the world would be on crack by now.

I think if anyone, kids, teenagers whoever are wanting to try things, they will regardless. Good communication, education and example from parents/teachers/etc does go a long way to keeping them on the straight and narrow so to speak.

M

Old Apr 9th 2005, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

nursenancy has a spectacular aura aboutnursenancy has a spectacular aura aboutnursenancy has a spectacular aura about

I have just read and replied to jwinch,s post about pot smoking.
Just wanted to know how aus compares to the uk in terms of evident drug use and the effects?
A Bayside state school had to close for a few days last year as the teachers staged a strike as they were fed up of the kids coming into school stoned. I find it worst than in the UK, depending on where you lived or currently live.
Old Apr 9th 2005, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nursenancy
A Bayside state school had to close for a few days last year as the teachers staged a strike as they were fed up of the kids coming into school stoned. I find it worst than in the UK, depending on where you lived or currently live.
There you go, they are obviously getting a bit bolder with age, most people I went to school with would wait until after school before getting stoned!!!!

That was some time ago!!!!!
Old Apr 9th 2005, 8:56 pm
patrickgoldsmith

Originally Posted by Merlot
Wonderful isn't it, the way the world is going, never seen them around here but maybe I have not been looking.

Like many I have tried various things in my life and I agree that smoking dope certainly does not mean it leads to hard drugs, otherwise the most of the world would be on crack by now.

I think if anyone, kids, teenagers whoever are wanting to try things, they will regardless. Good communication, education and example from parents/teachers/etc does go a long way to keeping them on the straight and narrow so to speak.

M
I have recently seen the consequences of prolonged cannabis use on one friend of mine, i assure you this guy had no other issues and took no other drugs on a regular basis. He is only one of a large number of people i personally know who have serious lifelong mental health issues that will not be cured only stabilised with prescribed medication (when they finally stop him being a danger to society and release him). I am no prude i have tried many things as a young man and regretfully accept that my kids will make mistakes too i also know that experimentation for a short period is usually a fad that will blow over with little or no consequences. What needs to happen is drug culture and bad attitude to become unfashionable again not through scare tactics that no one listens to, but through objective and honest observation and calculated action, people need to be aware of the truth about drugs of all kinds not simply the latest pacifying soundbyte. I opted out of the drug culture as a teenager because i noticed that the salesmen were a bad advertisement for the product! others didn,t
Old Apr 9th 2005, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

I have recently seen the consequences of prolonged cannabis use on one friend of mine, i assure you this guy had no other issues and took no other drugs on a regular basis. He is only one of a large number of people i personally know who have serious lifelong mental health issues that will not be cured only stabilised with prescribed medication (when they finally stop him being a danger to society and release him). I am no prude i have tried many things as a young man and regretfully accept that my kids will make mistakes too i also know that experimentation for a short period is usually a fad that will blow over with little or no consequences. What needs to happen is drug culture and bad attitude to become unfashionable again not through scare tactics that no one listens to, but through objective and honest observation and calculated action, people need to be aware of the truth about drugs of all kinds not simply the latest pacifying soundbyte. I opted out of the drug culture as a teenager because i noticed that the salesmen were a bad advertisement for the product! others didn,t
This must have been a horrible experience for you to know someone personally I am asuming with mental health probs, after the consequences of drugs!!

What you must understand is that there are many people in hospitals these days under 50 who are dying of cancer (lung variety) because they thought it was cool to smoke when they were young. Although unlike most dope users they did'nt stop when they grew up!!! (sad fact of life)!!!!

Anyway everyone always has a reason why they believe so strongly in a subject, but be aware we may all have different attitudes and opinions and that really is a fact of life!!!!

Bye for now
Old Apr 9th 2005, 9:16 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Alcohol and cigarrettes are much worse drugs imo than pot.
Old Apr 9th 2005, 9:18 pm
Merlot

I think the problems are that drug dealers and associates rule the roost. And get away with it.

The Hacienda club in Manchester in 1991 when drug dealers ran it and basically got away with murder. It was a few years into the "E" thing and it was rife. No amount of education stopped any of my mates from trying anything they pleased to feel loved up. These mates were the average age of 21.

When I was 22 opium was the choice drug up in the foothills in Thailand for young British Packpackers.

Then when I was 25 in 1995, in Manchester I worked a very swish office with a group of 20/30 somethings that snorted coke from the toliet lid at 9.30 am in the morning. It was cool to do this.

I guess where the hell do we start in sorting out the problems???

Tricky one.

M

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.