Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How bad is the state school in Melbourne?

How bad is the state school in Melbourne?

Old Oct 11th 2009, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

Jennifer09 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How bad is the state school in Melbourne?

Originally Posted by Petals
Schools educate and so do parents, if parents are well educated and interested in their children then most children succeed to a career they wish to follow.

I know a lad who is in America now and has a phd in physics and he went to the local high school in Langwarrin and a lot of people moan about that school.

In my view if parents are disappointed with the child's results we have to look at our own abilities as well.

A child can be very very clever but there is no certainty that cleverness will prevent him/she from going off the rails.

Actually at private school the children have a lot more money to buy drugs than the children at the poorer State schools.

A State high school on the Peninsula, Westernport Secondary got the award for being the school to get all the children into work and university and to me that is all you can ask for.

If this lady is disappointed I would ask her how much time she puts into the education of her children.

Cannot judge a book by the cover.
Petals from what you said I believe you yourself is a very dedicated parent to ur kids...they must be proud of u...yeah some parents thought money is more important...as long as what they earn they can buy whatever their kids wants like PS2, PSP at the end these kids spend their time more on it rather than on study...

I was a career woman myself once before I married...but when I have my son I wanted to spend my every moment with him look at him grow and change everyday...but I'm being looked down by people around me...saying I'm not capable to earn money and work...but whatever people said is not important whats important is what I think and my goal is be with him when he needs me....

Anyway thanks Petals I got lots more to learn from u all here...
Old Oct 12th 2009, 12:44 am
BE Enthusiast

James516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Zambia
You could spend all this and still have your kid, turn into a souped up late model Commodore driving, big sunglass wearing, stupid baseball hat, pot smoking, mix can drinking, Bogan.
You make it sound like a bad thing
Old Oct 12th 2009, 1:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zambia

You could spend all this and still have your kid, turn into a souped up late model Commodore driving, big sunglass wearing, stupid baseball hat, pot smoking, mix can drinking, Bogan.
Or even an early-model Commodore driving..
Old Oct 12th 2009, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

In terms of academic achievement the top state schools in Melbourne do better than the really expensive private schools. For the past 7 years a state school has come top of the state.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 8:21 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by James516
You make it sound like a bad thing
Actually there is possibilities in anything....if this happened parents who spent more even more heartache later
Old Oct 12th 2009, 8:23 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by hereshoping
In terms of academic achievement the top state schools in Melbourne do better than the really expensive private schools. For the past 7 years a state school has come top of the state.
Thanks the answer really convincing...
Old Oct 12th 2009, 11:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.education.vic.gov.au/abou...ry/default.htm

My son goes to Melbourne High - excellent school.

Ian
Old Oct 12th 2009, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

Smartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud of

I agree there are some excellent state schools in Melbourne (as in the UK, our kids went to a fantastic state school) but unfortunately, (as in the UK) there are some equally poor ones (especially at secondary level) so my advice would be to get here, visit ones you are interested in and then make a choice depending on what best suits your child. We had planned to try and use state schools here, but after we arrived and had looked at the local ones in the area we wanted to be in, both our boys and us were definitely not impressed and we have ended up paying for a private education. Financially it has been (and is!) hard, but for us it was the right choice. Visit the schools of your choice first, then make your decision. With primary schools I don't think there is any real need to panic, our boys were both secondary, one already having GCSE's and going into VCE so we felt we didn't have the time to get it wrong.

One word of warning though, if you are considering a private education, don't expect there to necessarily be places available for your child in the school of your choice, most have waiting lists. We hedged our bets and got our boys onto waiting lists whilst in the UK (just in case) it does cost you to do this but we are so glad we did because the school was full when we arrived.

Good luck, it is one of the harder decision you will have to make.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 1:02 am
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Or even an early-model Commodore driving..
Damn I was drunk when I wrote that.... it should have been early

Want to play a game read the news and see how many times Early Commodore is prefixed with.

"Was hit by a" or "Suspects where last seen in an"