British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   How bad are the flies/mozzies (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/how-bad-flies-mozzies-546517/)

bcworld Jul 3rd 2008 11:15 pm

Re: How bad are the flies/mozzies

Originally Posted by stu and dawn (Post 6532258)
So, if you have a pool in your garden does that attract lots of mozzies or do the chemicals/chlorine in the water repel them?

I haven't got the hang of that quoting thing you all do but re: March flies and Xmas beetles :eek: are they a Queensland thing? They sound horrendous.

Xmas beetles are fine - they are like the Lancaster bomber of flying insects - you'll hear them coming, generally crashing into every wall they come across! Granted its a bit alarming when one flies into you.

March flies on the other hand, pure evil! I've seen these all over coastal Qld, but not sure about other areas.

As for your pool, if anything is living in it, then that's a very bad sign!!

quoll Jul 4th 2008 12:40 am

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 6532330)
Xmas beetles are fine - they are like the Lancaster bomber of flying insects - you'll hear them coming, generally crashing into every wall they come across! Granted its a bit alarming when one flies into you.

March flies on the other hand, pure evil! I've seen these all over coastal Qld, but not sure about other areas.

Ah March flies - scourge of the High Country. Bushwalking in Kosciusko in the summer you will end up being speared even through thick socks. Nasty little brutes.

The flying things I hate are the Bogongs, we seem to be on a migration path here in Canberra and they get everywhere. I dont mind the Christmas beetles much either, you know they are coming and when they slam into the fly wire the house does shake but they are harmless.

bcworld Jul 4th 2008 12:51 am

Originally Posted by quoll (Post 6532507)
Ah March flies - scourge of the High Country. Bushwalking in Kosciusko in the summer you will end up being speared even through thick socks. Nasty little brutes.

The flying things I hate are the Bogongs, we seem to be on a migration path here in Canberra and they get everywhere. I dont mind the Christmas beetles much either, you know they are coming and when they slam into the fly wire the house does shake but they are harmless.

Aw, the poor March Fly lives only 3 - 4 weeks....it has my deepest sympathy!

So apparently only the women are the blood suckers.....the boys are strictly vegetarian!

Check out those fangs!

http://www.geocities.com/brisbane_fl...ages/wpe51.jpg

aston man Jul 4th 2008 7:11 am

Originally Posted by lastere (Post 6531126)
bullshit. pests are a third world society mark. on a melbourne thread someone said 'you know it's not backwater, it's international and you should expect to pay rents accordingly'. if you have flies getting in your mouth and dengue fever from mosquitoes, it's not 'international' and it shows the government doesn't give a shit and maybe, just maybe, people's indolence.

yes i agree,bullshit,,it can cause flies...

dejags Jul 4th 2008 8:29 am

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 6532330)

Xmas beetles are lovely. Totally harmless and not very bright (will be seen repeatedly headbutting the same light for hours on end).

thedons Jul 4th 2008 8:48 am

When i lived/ worked in Perth, aussie brickie said to me don't worry your get used to the flies ............. it was bad, you have a brick in one hand, a trowel in the other..............work it out horrible..... still it's only for about 2-3 months of the year

aston man Jul 4th 2008 10:21 am

Originally Posted by thedons (Post 6533343)
When i lived/ worked in Perth, aussie brickie said to me don't worry your get used to the flies ............. it was bad, you have a brick in one hand, a trowel in the other..............work it out horrible..... still it's only for about 2-3 months of the year

mate i agree it aint nice,but.....

i was throwing in a few down a gable back in a place called northfield(brum)..
the local kids where bouncing stones off us...

that aint happened to me here in perth yet...:)

Hutch Jul 4th 2008 10:55 am

Originally Posted by nomadicmike (Post 6533672)
I dont know whats worse, flies, mozzies or Aussies!

Or sullen poms with spine-breaking sized chips on their shoulders ...

Hutch Jul 4th 2008 10:59 am

Originally Posted by nomadicmike (Post 6533702)
Hutch, you are a loser, and I have reported your website for suggesting illegal ways to watch TV....expect an email soon my friend.

Woooo - oh my god - is that a knock at the door I hear? My god - they're coming for me ... heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp !!!

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::r ofl:

worzel Jul 4th 2008 11:00 am

Originally Posted by nomadicmike (Post 6533702)
Hutch, you are a loser, and I have reported your website for suggesting illegal ways to watch TV....expect an email soon my friend.

Let me guess. You told your older brother too and he is bigger than Hutch.