Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How bad are the flies/mozzies

How bad are the flies/mozzies

Old Jul 3rd 2008, 11:15 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How bad are the flies/mozzies

Originally Posted by stu and dawn
So, if you have a pool in your garden does that attract lots of mozzies or do the chemicals/chlorine in the water repel them?

I haven't got the hang of that quoting thing you all do but re: March flies and Xmas beetles are they a Queensland thing? They sound horrendous.
Xmas beetles are fine - they are like the Lancaster bomber of flying insects - you'll hear them coming, generally crashing into every wall they come across! Granted its a bit alarming when one flies into you.

March flies on the other hand, pure evil! I've seen these all over coastal Qld, but not sure about other areas.

As for your pool, if anything is living in it, then that's a very bad sign!!
Old Jul 4th 2008, 12:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Xmas beetles are fine - they are like the Lancaster bomber of flying insects - you'll hear them coming, generally crashing into every wall they come across! Granted its a bit alarming when one flies into you.

March flies on the other hand, pure evil! I've seen these all over coastal Qld, but not sure about other areas.

Ah March flies - scourge of the High Country. Bushwalking in Kosciusko in the summer you will end up being speared even through thick socks. Nasty little brutes.

The flying things I hate are the Bogongs, we seem to be on a migration path here in Canberra and they get everywhere. I dont mind the Christmas beetles much either, you know they are coming and when they slam into the fly wire the house does shake but they are harmless.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 12:51 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Ah March flies - scourge of the High Country. Bushwalking in Kosciusko in the summer you will end up being speared even through thick socks. Nasty little brutes.

The flying things I hate are the Bogongs, we seem to be on a migration path here in Canberra and they get everywhere. I dont mind the Christmas beetles much either, you know they are coming and when they slam into the fly wire the house does shake but they are harmless.
Aw, the poor March Fly lives only 3 - 4 weeks....it has my deepest sympathy!

So apparently only the women are the blood suckers.....the boys are strictly vegetarian!

Check out those fangs!

Last edited by bcworld; Jul 4th 2008 at 12:55 am.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 7:11 am
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lastere
bullshit. pests are a third world society mark. on a melbourne thread someone said 'you know it's not backwater, it's international and you should expect to pay rents accordingly'. if you have flies getting in your mouth and dengue fever from mosquitoes, it's not 'international' and it shows the government doesn't give a shit and maybe, just maybe, people's indolence.
yes i agree,bullshit,,it can cause flies...
Old Jul 4th 2008, 8:29 am
BE Enthusiast

dejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bcworld

Xmas beetles are lovely. Totally harmless and not very bright (will be seen repeatedly headbutting the same light for hours on end).
Old Jul 4th 2008, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

thedons will become famous soon enoughthedons will become famous soon enough

When i lived/ worked in Perth, aussie brickie said to me don't worry your get used to the flies ............. it was bad, you have a brick in one hand, a trowel in the other..............work it out horrible..... still it's only for about 2-3 months of the year
Old Jul 4th 2008, 10:21 am
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thedons
When i lived/ worked in Perth, aussie brickie said to me don't worry your get used to the flies ............. it was bad, you have a brick in one hand, a trowel in the other..............work it out horrible..... still it's only for about 2-3 months of the year
mate i agree it aint nice,but.....

i was throwing in a few down a gable back in a place called northfield(brum)..
the local kids where bouncing stones off us...

that aint happened to me here in perth yet...
Old Jul 4th 2008, 10:55 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nomadicmike
I dont know whats worse, flies, mozzies or Aussies!
Or sullen poms with spine-breaking sized chips on their shoulders ...
Old Jul 4th 2008, 10:59 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Hutch, you are a loser, and I have reported your website for suggesting illegal ways to watch TV....expect an email soon my friend.
Woooo - oh my god - is that a knock at the door I hear? My god - they're coming for me ... heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp !!!

:r ofl:
Old Jul 4th 2008, 11:00 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Hutch, you are a loser, and I have reported your website for suggesting illegal ways to watch TV....expect an email soon my friend.
Let me guess. You told your older brother too and he is bigger than Hutch.