Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How bad are the flies?

How bad are the flies?

Old Oct 14th 2005, 11:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

AndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to all
Default How bad are the flies?

This is for expats in Perth. How bad are the flies in the summer time? Are they just annoying or are they a real problem? Been told the further from the City the worst it gets.
Old Oct 14th 2005, 11:21 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How bad are the flies?

Originally Posted by AndyD
This is for expats in Perth. How bad are the flies in the summer time? Are they just annoying or are they a real problem? Been told the further from the City the worst it gets.
I can only speak for myself, but I haven't been to Perth for 20 years and am still having nightmares about the flies :scared: - You know those films of starving african children who have flies everywhere - that's Perth in summer a few miles in from the coast :scared: If the b*stards can find an orifice with moisture in it, there will be 50 of them after it.

Hope I haven't put you off Seriously, they drove me round the bend.
Old Oct 14th 2005, 11:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

lindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the rough

They are annoying when they are here but it's only for a short time and you're over it.

Lindsey
Old Oct 14th 2005, 11:23 pm
A horse walks into a bar.

russmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond repute

Dreadful, scarey! Open a tin of tuna in the outdoors and see what happens. My god!
Old Oct 14th 2005, 11:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I dont know about Perth, but overall, in most of Aussie, they are a damned nuisance. They certainly put me off of eating outside in the summer months.
Old Oct 15th 2005, 12:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Steve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of light

They don't stay too long because they are gobbled up by the millions of Spiders!! :scared:

Old Oct 15th 2005, 12:26 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Have to say they are a pain in the arse!

We went to the beach one day and there was no breeze....we lasted 10 minutes before we couldn't stand the flies anylonger. They are very friendly flies! They are looking for moisture anywhere on your face...urgh!

They arrive towards the end of November, drive you completely potty for the first few weeks, then somehow you start to get used to them!

We don't eat outside as much as we thought we would as trying to eat one handed whilst swatting the flies with the other is a pain in the arse!

Thankfully, with the Freo Doctor breeze it somehow keeps the number of little winged critters off you for some of the day!

Anyway....don't stress about the flies....get your knickers in a twist about redbacks, hunstmen, white tips, snakes, sharks and barefooted bogans instead. Much more productive!
Old Oct 15th 2005, 12:28 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh yeah...forgot to add the blow flies! Now they are seriously yuck! They spray live mini maggots onto food... :scared:
Old Oct 15th 2005, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

Location: Back to UK Oct 05,Gold Coast Feb 05, Perth Jan 2005 (South Wales b4 that)
Wal10 will become famous soon enough

Very bad. Enough said!!!
Old Oct 15th 2005, 2:49 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

It was one of the things I expected to be a pain in the tropics but they have not been a problem. Well in the first 11 months anyway.

But as for Perth ?
I like posting this link

http://www.viacorp.com/flybook/fulltext.html/#bushflies
Old Oct 15th 2005, 5:50 am
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Out of curiosity how are the flies over on the East side?

I was out there end of July and didn't see a thing, let alone flies, but it WAS Winter!

Sure it'll be a totally diff story in December, but how bad on the fly front anyone?

Cheers
Old Oct 15th 2005, 6:03 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Very bad in summer and autumn along with the mossies. Hardly any during winter and spring. Roll on winter!
Old Oct 15th 2005, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

All I can say is they drive you bloody nuts!!
As today is nice and warm (currently 25) They are out in their thousands. We are 'doing' our garden at the mo, and we spend every other second swatting them away!!!!!!!1
Old Oct 15th 2005, 7:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Xgeminix has a reputation beyond reputeXgeminix has a reputation beyond reputeXgeminix has a reputation beyond reputeXgeminix has a reputation beyond reputeXgeminix has a reputation beyond reputeXgeminix has a reputation beyond reputeXgeminix has a reputation beyond reputeXgeminix has a reputation beyond reputeXgeminix has a reputation beyond reputeXgeminix has a reputation beyond reputeXgeminix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
It was one of the things I expected to be a pain in the tropics but they have not been a problem. Well in the first 11 months anyway.

But as for Perth ?
I like posting this link

http://www.viacorp.com/flybook/fulltext.html/#bushflies
Thanks Interesting Article...We're headed for Perth.

I've got images of fly vomit all over my food now.

Jude xx
Old Oct 15th 2005, 9:00 am
BE Enthusiast

AndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to all

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Have to say they are a pain in the arse!

We went to the beach one day and there was no breeze....we lasted 10 minutes before we couldn't stand the flies anylonger. They are very friendly flies! They are looking for moisture anywhere on your face...urgh!

They arrive towards the end of November, drive you completely potty for the first few weeks, then somehow you start to get used to them!

We don't eat outside as much as we thought we would as trying to eat one handed whilst swatting the flies with the other is a pain in the arse!

Thankfully, with the Freo Doctor breeze it somehow keeps the number of little winged critters off you for some of the day!

Anyway....don't stress about the flies....get your knickers in a twist about redbacks, hunstmen, white tips, snakes, sharks and barefooted bogans instead. Much more productive!

Great, sounds like lots of fun! Better invest in a fly squatter or stay and eat indoors Nov-Jan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.