Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How bad is the drought?

How bad is the drought?

Old Apr 21st 2007, 2:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How bad is the drought?

Originally Posted by Amazulu
So what are you trying to say to the OP? Don't come?
It could rain in the next few weeks and the crisis will be over. Indications from the bureau are that it will rain.
The OP asked how bad the drought was, accordingly I answered the drought question and offered absolutely no opinon on where he should live.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 2:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

It could rain in the next few weeks and the crisis will be over. Indications from the bureau are that it will rain.
I hope it does rain. However having seen parts of VIC NSW and QLD that are in drought I think we need one hell of a lot of rain. Plus take QLD, we are coming into the dry season, the wet seasons been and gone usually starts up again next november december.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 4:07 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
cant water gardens, wash windows, cars, fill pools in many places now.
**** the garden, windows & cars etc :curse: - in 6 months time we wont have any water to drink, let alone wash the car with.

Originally Posted by DagBoy
Notwithstanding that a lot of the population do not want this because to them, drinking treated recycled water is akin to drinking straight from the toilet
Funny thing is, if no-one does anything about it they don't realise that is EXACTLY WHERE they will be directly drinking from - cos there wont be any water coming out of the taps!

So what are you trying to say to the OP? Don't come?
I don't think she's saying anything of the sort - but to suggest that the crisis will be over if we get a bit of rain is deluding people. Here in Brisbane (or rather, in the dam catchment areas) we need serious rain in the region of 6-12 inches in a short space of time (like a week) for our crisis to be averted (no, not fixed, merely postponed!) & as Jad mentioned this is our dry season now, so the chances of that happening are close to zero.

Originally Posted by cresta57
As an example Brisbane has level 5 restrictions, the situation there is fast approaching critical. Actual rainfall for Brisbane in the last three months has been in the region of 200mm multiply that by the area of an average sized home and you have 200m² [roof area] X .2m [rainfall] giving 40,000 litres of water that has run down downpipes and away from every household, that's two 5000 gallon tanks full. To put it in perspective that's every drop that us rural households would have to survive on for all our needs, as I said earlier we still have 50% of that left.
I usually agree with you Sean, but in this case I cant. Some parts of Brisbane may have had 200mm in 3 months (which btw for anyone who doesnt know, are our wettest 3 months of the year & all together should average 460mm) but at our place we are nudging 4 months & we've had only had 170mm (average is 550 for the same period). That's less than one third of our average rainfall for that period. But the part that's the worst is that alot of it has been in little showers which are almost useless, 5mm here, 2 mm there, which is just enough to wet the roof & that's about all, hardly enough to cause any run off it & certainly not enough to put water in our dam either. We havent had a single drop at our place since the 6th March & only 70mm since Feb 1st (almost 3 months) .

Originally Posted by DagBoy

Basically - what the governments (federal, state and local) are doing is too little too late. Plus, they are all putting in plenty of effort scoring political points off each other and placing blame and basically doing anything except try and fix the bloody problem.

Bearing in mind all of that, for once John Howard is not far off the mark - we should all be praying for rain.
Amen!

Last edited by MrsDagboy; Apr 21st 2007 at 4:09 am.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 4:13 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by M_and_J
Just seen a piece on BBC news about the drought in Aus where they showed a map highlighting the worst hit areas. This included Melbourne where we'd heading in Sept.

It's not putting us off, just wondered what's the deal?
It's not too bad we've been trying to follow the water saving advice so Hubby has just grabbed crate of beer so we don't have to drink any water today... .
Old Apr 21st 2007, 5:18 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
The OP asked how bad the drought was, accordingly I answered the drought question and offered absolutely no opinon on where he should live.
Point taken.
There is talk of food rising 500%. So say you are paying $200/week for food, you will be paying $1000/week by the end of winter.
I don't think so. There would be near starvation and probably a depression.

Ain't going to happen.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 5:23 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
**** the garden, windows & cars etc :curse: -

I usually agree with you Sean, but in this case I cant. Some parts of Brisbane may have had 200mm in 3 months (which btw for anyone who doesnt know, are our wettest 3 months of the year & all together should average 460mm) but at our place we are nudging 4 months & we've had only had 170mm (average is 550 for the same period). That's less than one third of our average rainfall for that period. But the part that's the worst is that alot of it has been in little showers which are almost useless, 5mm here, 2 mm there, which is just enough to wet the roof & that's about all, hardly enough to cause any run off it & certainly not enough to put water in our dam either. We havent had a single drop at our place since the 6th March & only 70mm since Feb 1st (almost 3 months) .

Amen!
Yep not all areas have had that amount that's true, though the ones that have would still have had water going into their tanks, thus equaling less of a strain on the reticulated supply.
We've had very little up here for quite a number of weeks, hence the tanks being at half volume when usually at this time of year we'd have been taking baths and long showers knowing the tanks were overflowing.
Your right about it coming in dribs and drabs the last time our rain guage clocked 10mm or more was a couple of months back.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 7:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

"'Our'' draught is easing, 30mm a few weeks ago, 4mm this last hour.

Our new water tanks installed last week are being christened as we speak. Our slimline tank is catching about 3-5l a minute. I keep going out and watching the stream of water.

The grass has been green for a few weeks and I'm back to mowing again.

If this is part of the BoM prediction for autumnal rain,bring it on.

B
Old Apr 21st 2007, 7:08 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I tried to find a picture to post of an ostrich with its head in the sand - but couldn't find one which was free to copy.....
Old Apr 21st 2007, 7:16 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

So is everyone metered ?
Old Apr 21st 2007, 7:37 am
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
I tried to find a picture to post of an ostrich with its head in the sand
oh so true
Old Apr 21st 2007, 7:47 am
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
I tried to find a picture to post of an ostrich with its head in the sand - but couldn't find one which was free to copy.....

this might be more apt anyway
Attached Images  
Old Apr 21st 2007, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

InBetween is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by M_and_J
Just seen a piece on BBC news about the drought in Aus where they showed a map highlighting the worst hit areas. This included Melbourne where we'd heading in Sept.

It's not putting us off, just wondered what's the deal?
Take a look at the 'water issues' thread - this has started a debate on Desalination and whether is a good or bad thing, and no matter where you are living or heading in Australia, it will have affect on you in one way or another. It is a problem that the whole of Australia needs to confront, not just the dry areas.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 7:50 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I can remember reading back in the seventies that water would become the reason for conflict all over the world within 50 years.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 7:59 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Point taken.
There is talk of food rising 500%. So say you are paying $200/week for food, you will be paying $1000/week by the end of winter.
I don't think so. There would be near starvation and probably a depression.

Ain't going to happen.
They didn't say that all food would rise by 500%, but that it could happen for produce from these regions. Imports will have to increase, which will probably negate the price rises a little.
I've heard the water tank theory too - apparently if all the Sydney households had tanks then there would not be a shortage there. Can't remember where I got that from though!
Where I am, in the Hunter Valley, it is hard to see any shortage - it's all over the papers, obviously, but when you look at the countryside it is beautiful and green, there are cattle & horses grazing in the fields, it's gorgeous. Makes me feel lucky to be here and not in a dustbowl somewhere. Having said that, there have been lots of times in the last week when OH or I have seen something and raised eyebrows - there are still a lot of green lawns around, sprinklers, car washes, etc. Makes me think if there really is this big shortage (which seems undeniable) then how come all this water is being used unnecessarily? Are water shortages something that affect only some regions whilst other regions aren't really suffering?
Old Apr 21st 2007, 8:00 am
Rocket Scientist

Originally Posted by cresta57
Yep not all areas have had that amount that's true, though the ones that have would still have had water going into their tanks, thus equaling less of a strain on the reticulated supply.
We've had very little up here for quite a number of weeks, hence the tanks being at half volume when usually at this time of year we'd have been taking baths and long showers knowing the tanks were overflowing.
Your right about it coming in dribs and drabs the last time our rain guage clocked 10mm or more was a couple of months back.
It's definitey pretty dry that's for sure & I agree that it would take part of the strain off the system, but IMO it's a bit too little too late. Someone mentioned that the gov is now considering giving rainwater tanks out free instead of having to go through the palava of buying one, getting it installed & claiming the money back as a rebate (which anyone who has done it knows isnt a speedy process) - why the hell didnt they do that 12 months or 2 years ago??? Then it may have actually made a difference instead of waiting until the horse has bolted to close the stable door :curse: , there are thousands & thousands of people out there who would never be able to afford to pay for a tank outright, so why not help them help everyone by making the process easier? And why not have made installing water tanks & other ideas mandatory in new builds years & years ago - my biggest gripe with tanks has always been that if Joe Blow down the road installs a tank & hasnt got a clue what he's doing with it, the chances of problems ie health problems from water not being clean, using it incorrectly etc are huge but if it was installed properly to start with in new builds the problems would be much reduced. But as Wol said, the head in the sand approach seems to be much more in favour with our politicians - hey, lets just build a new dam - despite the fact that there is no rain to fill it or lets build a pipeline to be able to pipe the water around - ohh hold on, there's no water to pipe - & lets build a water treatment works - even though by the time it's built we will have run out of water anyway - yeah good one

< /offsoapbox>

But hey, at least no-one has had to ask for refund on their visa cos it's rained .

Edited to add - by the way I was just doing a few rough calculations & working on the govt's spin on the water usage, if we all used our 140litres/day/head (maximum allowed that they want us all to get down to) a family of 4 would use 560 litres/day, 3920 litres/week & 50,960 litres in 13 weeks (3 months). So the 44,000 litres that have run off the roof in the last 3 months wouldnt have been enough for the household. Of course the point is not so much that the water tanks wouldnt have worked, but that BOY some people must us an awful lot of water if they are trying to encourage us to cut down to 140l/day per person

Last edited by MrsDagboy; Apr 21st 2007 at 8:10 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.