Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How bad are the bugs & spiders in the suburbs of Brisbane?

How bad are the bugs & spiders in the suburbs of Brisbane?

Old Jun 17th 2017, 3:20 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How bad are the bugs & spiders in the suburbs of Brisbane?

Originally Posted by ABD79
Oh God :-/ This doesn't help!!! :-/
On the plus side, at least Australian spiders aren't armed.
Old Jun 17th 2017, 6:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

Spouse - yes please Thank you! It's probable hard for some people to understand if they don't have a fear of spiders. If you can imagine somebody finding out they have a spider on them, then literally running around smacking themselves over the head, ruffling their hair, hitting themselves, screaming and making complete tit of themselves, well, that would be me! I once babysat for someone and there was a power cut. While I was sitting on their settee I saw a BIG spider (by UK standards), crawl over the back of the settee in the light of the streetlights from outside and with that I ran out the room, closed the door and had to sit on the stairs for the next 4 hours until the people came home :-/ I've no idea what I'd do in Australia if ever my husband had to be away with work (which he does) and a huntsman was in the house!
Can I ask (if you don't mind) whether you'd ever move back to Australia? My husband can turn down the relocation so we're weighing up what to do. The adventurer in me says life is short, we should go, enjoy the weather and the scenery and experience a different way of life. The "in my comfort zone" part of me says to stay here...no spiders! and family and friends are here. It's tough to know what to do when you have three young children to think of. I'd hope though that it would be a wonderful experience for them and would make an interesting set of chapters in their lives. Anyway, I should stick to the topic of spiders! I did start a new thread about life in Australia if you wanted to add any advice there!
So here you go:-

Snakes of Suburban Brisbane
spiders brisbane pictures https://www.google.ca/search?q=spide...C4KR8Qfr-7a4CA

Last edited by plasticcanuck; Jun 17th 2017 at 6:57 pm.
Old Jun 18th 2017, 12:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
When you go away for a few days bug bomb your house when you leave

Pack of 3 about $12 at Bunnings

They work well
Yes I have had to resort to those in the past when we had a damn flea infestation.

There was no other way to fix it, we had put up with them for about 4 months trying to vacuum our way out of the problem.

Got rid of the carpets during our renovation and kept the rugs to a minimum and not had the flea problem since.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jun 18th 2017 at 12:54 am.
Old Jun 18th 2017, 12:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Now this is what you call an infestation.

Old Jun 18th 2017, 6:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1Vz0fWOq3E
Wow that's a lot ! Probably had about 2 or 3 thousand ANTS coming out of the aircon over the past week . Got ourselves a new carpet in the front living room Barsteward things !
Old Jun 18th 2017, 7:54 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
When you go away for a few days bug bomb your house when you leave

Pack of 3 about $12 at Bunnings

They work well
We did that at the new house before I started the renovations. One in the roof space, and 2 inside the house (small house). A few days later I went over and swept up the corpses and now it's bug-free.
Old Jun 18th 2017, 9:04 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
We did that at the new house before I started the renovations. One in the roof space, and 2 inside the house (small house). A few days later I went over and swept up the corpses and now it's bug-free.
Old Jun 18th 2017, 2:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Hello!
We're looking at a possible relocation to the Brisbane area, (about an hour/hour and a half outside, most likely north of Brisbane), and I was just wondering how bad the bugs were, especially spiders :-/ I genuinely hate spiders, (just writing this I keep feeling tickles on my head or skin like fantom feelings and have to keep itching and looking around for spiders), even though it's VERY rare we ever get a spider in our house in the UK, and even more rare that it's a big one (by big I mean maybe a few centimetre, 5 at the most). So as you can imagine, I'm freaking out!!! Is it really THAT bad out there? What's people's experiences please? I have visions of sitting down to watch television and seeing bloody great 8 legged monsters crawling up the sofa or worst still, one crawling on me as I sleep!!! Help!!!
Hi ABD... I am not a huge fan of spiders either.. more to do with the speed they can run ,rather than their looks.lol
My sister had lived in OZ for 30+ yrs when I last went to visit her, she had never seen a snake or had many encounters with spiders,despite living in rural area's. I arrived and we saw a snake within an hour ..
Left for the ferry for Kangaroo Island (following the advice of my mum many yrs ago,I went to the least used i.e. last toilet cabin before boarding the boat) YEP humungous spider barring my exit..(a huntsman) I didn't die..(obviously) The exchange through the cabin door was somewhat hilarious... i.e. 'what does a poisonous spider look like? Answer. I don't know,never seen one... gee thanks. He/she remained in place and I quietly left at the speed of light.

I think the key is to get it in proportion..bites.are quite rare .only one death since 1981.. Your more likely to die of a bee sting( if your allergic that is) Anti venom means your pretty safe in every circumstance.. As a poster said.. Good housekeeping is important .. Critters love dark dusty undisturbed places... For the Redback , they like damp washing baskets in basements... so don't buy a house with one..lol... or get someone else to do the laundry... kidding.
A friend who also moved to Brisbane (Brit) was bitten twice by a redback...(like a bad bee sting and her arm swelled up) Now you would think she would have re-arranged her washing routine... Don't stuff it damp in a washing basket and leave in old dark basement..Then plunge your hand in ... but no... She's a countrywoman from Devon... she just said B****r and drove herself to the hospital.(twice) Attitude is everything Good Luck...
Old Jun 18th 2017, 5:29 pm
Banned

ABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1Vz0fWOq3E
This is horrific!!!! :-/