Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How bad is Australian TV ?

Old Sep 2nd 2004, 2:57 am
ABCDiamond

Default How bad is Australian TV ?

To some people it is Bad, no doubt about it, as we hear the comments all the time.

But, to others? There are some people that do actually like what’s on.
Example viewing for Thursday night, info from: http://www.ebroadcast.com.au/tv/

6.00 Dr Who (or The News)
6.30 Neighbours
7.00 Home & Away or Frasier
7.30 Getaway (holiday program)
8.30 Law & Order
9.30 Law & Order
10.30 Stargate SG1
11.30 The X Files

and then Saturday:
7.30 Disney's "Bedknobs And Broomsticks" OR "Merlin The Movie" OR "Australian Idol"
and of course “Keeping up Appearances� at 6.30, The Bill at 8.30 and Taggart at 10.30

And if you like the Simpsons !! Plenty of that on.

Bottom line is that some people may have enough TV to watch to keep themselves indoors all the time, it all depends on what you like to watch.

and that's with just the free to air stuff !

And then they can fill any spare time with hiring the $1.95 overnight new release DVD's.

Old Sep 2nd 2004, 3:18 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How bad is Australian TV ?

$1.95 new release DVD!!!!! over $6 down at video ezy.

What I find strange is that most here get pay tv yet migrate for the outdoors lifestyle.

My low tolerance to adverts is also a factor in the amount of tv I watch.
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 3:29 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Is that bad as in good or bad as in BAD?

I used to love watching adverts cos where I grew up there were never any on the telly. 6 months of tv in oz and I hate em.
Especially that talking monkey thing for Optus. Don't you just wish it would explode at the beginning of the ad?
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 3:43 am
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

The ads are really too much, I agree. Even two sets of ads during Neighbours!
(oops, admitted to watching Neighbours).

A one and a half hour film on channel 9 or 10 that started at 8.30 will often last until way past 11pm - because of all the zillions of ads.
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 4:42 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by bondipom
$1.95 new release DVD!!!!! over $6 down at video ezy.
umm.... We pay $1.95 at our local Video Ezy and Blockbusters Both of them are always sending out vouchers, so you never run out of them. A bit like the $5.95 Pizza vouchers.

And if you pay them $29.95 per month, (thats about $1 a day), you can get up to 4 DVD's out at one time, and change them as often as you like, with no late fees either. If you pay more than $6 and rent 5+ per month, then its worth considering.

Originally Posted by bondipom
What I find strange is that most here get pay tv yet migrate for the outdoors lifestyle.
I agree. I don't even get time to watch some things on Free to Air TV, and have to tape them to watch later. I couldn't handle having cable aswell.

Old Sep 2nd 2004, 5:04 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

The quality of tv is of course largely subjective. what I would say is that in a tv station and it's schedule I'd be looking for a bit of balance. In my view (no pun intended) thats exactly what we aer not getting from 7,9 or 10. what we are getting there is an over supply of cheap reality tat with the remainder of the schedule comprising dreadful US comedy and/or US drama of variable quality. The only divergence from this norm is the intervention of sport. I'd go so far as to say that even the sport is covered poorly on these stations, my major gripe being the abundance of ads during the contest.

I'll exclude ABC and SBS from this equation. My view is that they do meet the requirements of a good public service broadcaster. Naturally by its nature some of SBS content is not understandable by me, and at the same time I believe the ABC has an over reliance on supply from the UK. This I guess is the price of underfunding.

Cable stuff is OK - I guess cable is a multi choice emporium where if you pay you get. I would say that Fox Footy provides a top rate service in covering AFL from top to bottom. It's not even a sport I like that much, but they show the entire games ad free and the panel based shows are way above the quality of anything available on free to air or even the rival Fox sport channels.

If you think it's bleak....move to Singapore and sample their delights.
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 5:41 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by RichS

If you think it's bleak....move to Singapore and sample their delights.
The Malaysian channel isn't too bad.. I was on it once , still got the tape I actually used to watch the Malay channel for films and news ( all in malay). It was when I was learning Malay. But Malaysian Tv censorship is still much the same.

But as for the sing channels.. my gawd .. you could not watch a film without any cuts. And as for their English channel Moses Lim under one roof - shoot me.

Funny thing - my mum used to send video tapes out to me, which always were nabbed for them to be looked at .. and censored ( for people who don't know Singapore - any horror will be cut out , even if it's funny, and if you show a tit .. well - cut! any bad language cut ) .

Anyway my mum sent rabCnesbit tape - when I picked it up from the censoring place - it was wound only two minutes into the film ( they normally come back with the tape not rewound .. ie it's at the end of the tape .. so you know they have watched it all) - they must have given up watching RabCnesbit , not understanding a word of him...lol
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 6:14 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

If you have cable TV & end up watching the same shows over & over, all I can say is that you must watch an awful lot of TV :scared: .

As for Singapore, I somehow ended up watching some asian soapy one day over there, my god, if you think aussie TV is bad you should all be subjected to an hour of that - you would be begging for Neighbours back! :scared:
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 6:21 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
If you have cable TV & end up watching the same shows over & over, all I can say is that you must watch an awful lot of TV :scared: .

As for Singapore, I somehow ended up watching some asian soapy one day over there, my god, if you think aussie TV is bad you should all be subjected to an hour of that - you would be begging for Neighbours back! :scared:
Try watching a non english language channel in Asia, Nothing is as bad as neighbours etc ( can't even rembember the last time I watched neighbours ... my Tv stays off most nights due to the Cr*p shows)

Cable TV .. been here around 7 years.. so add up how many times I have seen repeats over this time. Cable is full of repeats even for someone who dosen't watch a lot of TV like myself.

Cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Sep 2nd 2004 at 6:24 am.
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 6:41 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

I agree with you ABCD there are quite a lot of programmes on, but like others have said, its the amount of adverts that annoy me. I was watching an episode of Friends I think the other night, there were adverts after three minutes. I couldn't believe it (usually where the intro cuts in I guess).

Due to the amount of adverts, the amount of repeats and the variety of things to do outside, I just dont watch much tv over here at all. Not a bad thing I dont think.

(As you suggested) Blockbuster is doing $2 Tuesdays at the moment, and we have a whole load of money off vouchers for Video 2000, so its quite easy to get something good if I wanted it anyway.
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 6:57 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mlbonner
I agree with you ABCD there are quite a lot of programmes on, but like others have said, its the amount of adverts that annoy me. I was watching an episode of Friends I think the other night, there were adverts after three minutes. I couldn't believe it (usually where the intro cuts in I guess).

To be fair this is what Friends was made for. In the US you'll get the opening sequence and joke (2 minutes) then go to commercial, 10 minutes, commercial, 10 minutes, commercial, ending joke (2 minutes).
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 7:01 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RichS
The quality of tv is of course largely subjective. what I would say is that in a tv station and it's schedule I'd be looking for a bit of balance.
Totally agree. Its as if the schedulers have no imagination. They think they have a golden formula and they are sticking to it.

7 to 8.30 = American sitcoms\Simpsons\Renovation programs\Reality TV
8.30-10.30 = double episodes of american cop dramas. If your lucky one of them is "All new".

Yes ABC does have some different stuff but I sort of view them as a BBC2 of about 15 years ago. They do hae some good stuff but it can often get lost amongst the dross.

The only program I watch on SBS is Oz (Nothing to do with the country). We get a shit reception of it which puts me off watching much else on it.

I don't have major issues with a lot of the telly thats on apart from its so friggin monotonous. I like SVU but it was a bit scary when 2 weeks ago I saw my first repeat episode (I didn't watch it). I have only been here for 10 months

Also they put what would be classed as kids films on 8.30pm. Examples Hook (dire indeed) and Mary Poppins.

The planners are halfwits with no imagination or vision (It can't be money the amount of freakin adverts they put on!!!!!) to do anything different.
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 7:06 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HUP
Also they put what would be classed as kids films on 8.30pm. Examples Hook (dire indeed) and Mary Poppins.

The planners are halfwits with no imagination or vision (It can't be money the amount of freakin adverts they put on!!!!!) to do anything different.

I liked (or rather didn't) the way they put on Police Academy 2,3 and 4 back to back the other week. Also, what's the deal with putting on (older) films as they get released to DVD. And just how many times a year can you show the Terminator films?

That Saturday night kids movie stuff is the worst. As a family man, Saturday's are no longer 'going out' nights. However, I do not want to watch a kids movie at 8:30 and I certainly don't want my kids asking to stay up to watch them either!
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 7:10 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
umm.... We pay $1.95 at our local Video Ezy and Blockbusters Both of them are always sending out vouchers, so you never run out of them. A bit like the $5.95 Pizza vouchers.

And if you pay them $29.95 per month, (thats about $1 a day), you can get up to 4 DVD's out at one time, and change them as often as you like, with no late fees either. If you pay more than $6 and rent 5+ per month, then its worth considering.

I agree. I don't even get time to watch some things on Free to Air TV, and have to tape them to watch later. I couldn't handle having cable aswell.
We get some vouchers but I cannot remember the terms. I only eat pizza hut when work is paying as they are too doughy and involve far too much sweetcorn, pineapple and BBQ.
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 7:13 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by HUP

I agree with you on that. I think a few choice words passed my lips when I saw that Mary Poppins was on from 8.30 to 11.30 on Friday night, and Bedknobs & Broomsticks is on till 10pm on Saturday night !! These will need tapeing for my daughter to watch.

Has anyone timed the average Adverts ? I think it's about 3 mins 20 seconds

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.