Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How accurate were your movers' volumes?

How accurate were your movers' volumes?

Old Aug 10th 2004, 5:28 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default How accurate were your movers' volumes?

We have just had three movers in to quote Sussex > Sydney. Now, I would expect a difference in the volume estimate - it's not an exact science and experience comes into it too - but they vary from around 950 cu ft to 1250 cu ft. A difference of about 30%: that seems a lot to me. The lower one was certain that a 20' container would suffice!

And of course, it brackets the 1050 cu ft 20' container allowance!

What are your experiences? And did the packers get the stuff into the estimated volume on the day?
Old Aug 10th 2004, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How accurate were your movers' volumes?

Originally Posted by Rog Williams
We have just had three movers in to quote Sussex > Sydney. Now, I would expect a difference in the volume estimate - it's not an exact science and experience comes into it too - but they vary from around 950 cu ft to 1250 cu ft. A difference of about 30%: that seems a lot to me. The lower one was certain that a 20' container would suffice!

What are your experiences? And did the packers get the stuff into the estimated volume on the day?

That seems to be the norm.

Our friends who have just gone to OZ also had three quotes all giving a different volume figure and cost, obviously they went with the cheapest and have had no problems with the estimated volume or price.

Its funny how every rep has their own idea on how much space your stuff is going to take up on a container, one even said they only needed just over 1/2 a 20 ft one while the others said a full 20 ft - strange!

So the lesson to be learnt here is definately have more than one quote

Old Aug 10th 2004, 8:43 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: How accurate were your movers' volumes?

I do wonder how close to the estimated volume the actual packers get it!

Haven't got the quotes yet so it's difficult to say, but I would expect them to be firm figures for the items viewed and not "variable" on the day.

Naive?

Old Aug 10th 2004, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

Well, they were quoted, £4,000 to £4,690 for same estmated volume

Bit of a difference - wouldn't you agree

Yours will probably be cheaper taking into account where you live etc.

Old Aug 10th 2004, 9:00 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

Where in Sussex are you?
Old Aug 11th 2004, 12:14 am
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice
Wink Re: How accurate were your movers' volumes?

Hi Rog. Got 9 quotes as you know from previous threads. Only two were close to correct space. Bishops Move and PSS. PSS advised there were two types of 20 ft container and one was larger than the other in internal capacity. Went with them for lots of reasons and they promised the larger capacity container which was packed to bursting - like a jigsaw puzzle.
Other quotes had various stupid quantities quoted which of course meant their prices were amazingly higher too.
Old Aug 11th 2004, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

ssinnige is an unknown quantity at this point

If you have a quote and go ahead with that one, and it turns out that you use much less volume, do you in the end pay less than what it was quoted for? This seems only fair to me as it is only a quote based on an estimation.

Anyone have any experience with this?
Old Aug 11th 2004, 7:41 am
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough

They all "estimate" the volume based upon what you show them. if you exceed the volume of , say, a 20ft container the surplus will go groupage at extra cost.

We have been advised to have a few bulky non essential items kept to one side, to go only if there is room!! We are, acording to all five quotes we have had, just over a 20ft container by 100 cu ft.
Kinda makes sense.

PJ
Old Aug 11th 2004, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jacko1
They all "estimate" the volume based upon what you show them. if you exceed the volume of , say, a 20ft container the surplus will go groupage at extra cost.

We have been advised to have a few bulky non essential items kept to one side, to go only if there is room!! We are, acording to all five quotes we have had, just over a 20ft container by 100 cu ft.
Kinda makes sense.

PJ

Hi PJ
Yes, thats right, as I said earlier - the estimates were based on the 'volume' of stuff to be taken - but thing is they were all shown the same stuff but all come up with different cu ft quotes and consequently prices!

Does that make sense I dont think so. Difficult to know which one is right and which one isn't as wouldn't want to incur extra costs because they got it wrong! After all they are supposed to be the 'experts'

Good luck in October - hope you like Perth

Last edited by Bix da Boss; Aug 11th 2004 at 8:01 am.
Old Aug 11th 2004, 8:09 am
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Bix da Boss
Hi PJ
Yes, thats right, as I said earlier - the estimates were based on the 'volume' of stuff to be taken - but thing is they were all shown the same stuff but all come up with different cu ft quotes and consequently prices!

Does that make sense I dont think so. Difficult to know which one is right and which one isn't as wouldn't want to incur extra costs because they got it wrong! After all they are supposed to be the 'experts'

Good luck in October - hope you like Perth
Agree, we are having trouble deciding who to use and who is right with volume etc. Seems a bit of a con that they (the movers) cannot agree on volume, and that you pay more if they get it wrong.
Old Aug 11th 2004, 12:21 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes, as I said it's not an exact science. I am surprised that the difference is 30% on volume though! It kind of makes it difficult deciding on a quote because you're not just dealing with the price but wondering if the one you choose had got the volume right!
Old Aug 11th 2004, 12:23 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by lucyb
Where in Sussex are you?
The garden city of Thakeham, nr. Storrington for my sins!
Old Aug 14th 2004, 1:09 pm
Banned

Ozbound7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, as I said it's not an exact science. I am surprised that the difference is 30% on volume though! It kind of makes it difficult deciding on a quote because you're not just dealing with the price but wondering if the one you choose had got the volume right!
I did my own spreadsheet on volumes to be able to mix and match what to take. I found that most overestimated (but you must allow for packing) but a couple of quotes agreed with my figures.

I aso found that different companies used different volume figures for a standard sized container.