Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How 2 use an old top loader washing machine

How 2 use an old top loader washing machine

Old Dec 7th 2008, 1:49 am
BE Enthusiast

The Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud of
Default How 2 use an old top loader washing machine

Hi Guys,im rentin an appartment,and it has a very old top loader washing machine with this stick in the middle. ive never used 1 before,so was wondering if anyone could tell me how to use it please. im not quite sure where the powder goes. thanks
Old Dec 7th 2008, 2:16 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How 2 use an old top loader washing machine

some have a bit on the middle that unscrews or pulls out to put the powder in if in doubt wait till it's filled and add the powder then straight into the water.
Good luck
Old Dec 7th 2008, 3:17 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Mine you had to just chuck the powder on the clothes. Don't put anything delicate, or that you ever want to wear again in it, or you might be disapointed. Going out and buying a front loader was the best thing I have done since getting here!
Old Dec 7th 2008, 3:47 am
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute

Since I've been here I've had to put up with a batty old top-loader with a stick in the middle. I loathe and detest it!

I use the liquid and just pour it straight on to the clothes, the fabric conditioner in my machine goes in container in the middle of the stick. I have found the top-loader to be very harsh on my clothes, I've always maintained looking after your clothes well and they will last and mine have, but clothes that I've had for years have fallen apart since I've been here. My next big spend will be getting a front-loader!
Old Dec 7th 2008, 4:03 am
ABCDiamond

Adding the Detergent
â–  Remove fabric softener dispenser. (the thing at the top of the middle agitator)
â–  Pour detergent down centre of the agitator.
â–  Some detergents MUST be fully dissolved before they are added to your machine.
â–  Check the instructions on the detergent packet.
â–  Pre-dissolving detergent when washing in cold water can improve its performance.

from page 28 of http://www.fisherpaykel.com.au/admin...785A_IW_UC.pdf

Then go and buy a front loader....
My wife always complained about clothes getting tangled etc in the top loader, funny, she stopped complaining after I got her a front loader

Old Dec 7th 2008, 4:14 am
BE Enthusiast

The Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud of

thanks for that.when we rent a proper place then i will buy a front loader,as ive always used one. i think i mite just stick in a few old clothes for now,and guess ill have to see wat happens.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 4:27 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by SillyOldBag
My next big spend will be getting a front-loader!
I would consider that sooner than later, you don't know how long the $200 rebate will last from the QLD Government.

With all these subsidies and rebates, in the current economic situation, it will have to dry up one day !

They changed the water tank rebate conditions to trim down the numbers that were entitled, washers could be next ?

Old Dec 7th 2008, 4:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Flintstones
Hi Guys,im rentin an appartment,and it has a very old top loader washing machine with this stick in the middle. ive never used 1 before,so was wondering if anyone could tell me how to use it please. im not quite sure where the powder goes. thanks
One good thing about top loaders, is you will be able to wash 3 times the amount of clothing in the same period of time.

The clothes damage comments are over-rated, it does happen but not very often.

Doubt If my Wife would ever use a Front Loader.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

They were not over rated in my house! You must have a good top loader.
I have NEVER had an underwire bent before I used our top loader. Every week I would find another hole somewhere. And the fibers all fluffed up, you could physically see the fabric wearing. And you can wash more, but you have to spend half an hour untangling them later.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 7:57 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

I saw this advert on TV here about top loaders and front loaders..it was telling you to buy top loader for those unhealthy woman who find it hard to bend down

Anyway i prefer front loader (automatic), top loaders seem so old fashioned.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

chuck it. they're shit.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 7:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Katherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really nice

Originally Posted by The Flintstones
get a net laundry bag from big w for your bras otherwise detangling them from the stick / your other clothes can be quite a challenge!
Old Dec 8th 2008, 12:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Rainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond repute

Top loaders definitely wreck your clothes. Agree with so many comments here, including the 15 mins spent untangling clothes, the horror of discovering that even fairly robust materials were frayed and threadbare after just one wash. I had to use one for the first few weeks after arriving in Sydney and I remember thinking I'd have to go out and replace my whole wardrobe soon at the rate things were going.

The other thing I find strange - given the drought here - is that toploaders apparently use 50% more water than frontloaders, so they're hardly economical with water.

Get a toploader. I did. Sanity restored.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 12:47 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Rainydaze
The other thing I find strange - given the drought here - is that toploaders apparently use 50% more water than frontloaders, so they're hardly economical with water.
That's one reason that most governments are now giving rebates for people buying the water efficient washing machines, mainly the front loaders.

QLD gives $200 back

Old Dec 8th 2008, 3:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Katherined0
get a net laundry bag from big w for your bras otherwise detangling them from the stick / your other clothes can be quite a challenge!
I bought one of those net bag thingies, and a couple of weeks later it had gone the same way as afair few of my clothes! Fell to bits!