Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How 2 sell your house on time!!

How 2 sell your house on time!!

Old May 31st 2008, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

daddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to all
Cool How 2 sell your house on time!!

I hope this may be a solution - I'm serriously considering it
I am hoping to move to Perth next year and wondering if anyone has financial experience o can keep me right if I'm wrong. I plan to sell my house for 80% of its full price to one of these house buyer companies. I will then place my money into a high savings account (6%) for the year hoping to make up some of what I will have lost. I will rent property for a year which will again give me the chance to save a couple of grand. House prices will drop about 10% anyway so in total I will have lost very little but will at least have the flexibility of leaving next year when the time comes. What do you think??

Alan:
Old May 31st 2008, 11:14 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How 2 sell your house on time!!

Originally Posted by daddyofthree
I am hoping to move to Perth next year and wondering if anyone has financial experience o can keep me right if I'm wrong. I plan to sell my house for 80% of its full price to one of these house buyer companies. I will then place my money into a high savings account (6%) for the year hoping to make up some of what I will have lost. I will rent property for a year which will again give me the chance to save a couple of grand. House prices will drop about 10% anyway so in total I will have lost very little but will at least have the flexibility of leaving next year when the time comes. What do you think??

Alan:
If you could answer this your name would be Warren Buffet and not Daddyofthree <g>.

FWIW I don't think the current slack in house prices in Australia has really started. Apart from the "boom" states there are many many over-extended mortgagees and lenders are at last getting chary of extending loans to people with no chance of paying them back apart from selling up. As the repossessions mount I think it will get worse and prices will at best remain static overall. The only thing holding prices up now is the number of immigrants trying to buy - but there's got to be a limit on how much they can afford before having to stop eating!.
Old May 31st 2008, 11:19 pm
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

House prices will drop about 10% anyway
will they?
personally i doubt it
Old Jun 1st 2008, 3:17 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

How do you know you will sell your house for 80% to one of these companies? Do you have that amount in a legally binding document? I'd trust those people as far as I could throw them. 80% sounds high to me, that's if they even decide they like the look of your house.
Old Jun 1st 2008, 3:58 am
Forum Regular

brickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nice

You have to remember that when they say they will give you 80% of the value of your property, what they mean is 80% of what they think your property is worth, not what you think it is worth. I think you should keep thinking and try and find another solution.
Old Jun 1st 2008, 4:10 am
BE Enthusiast

quercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of light

It's worth getting the figures. It would be a way of buying here if you wanted to straight away and can afford to take loss for yours.

I hung on and rented mine out. I'm not getting anything like what I would get in a bank, not even British. Meanwhile it's getting harder to sell, the pound drops against the Aud, and cutting and running sounds attractive.
Old Jun 1st 2008, 5:09 am
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

Alan:
These sort of companies crawl out of the woodwork when times are tough. I would have a low comfort level with them. I would prefer to get 3 estate agent valuations, pick the middle one and market for 85% of their valuation (allowing a further 5% for negotiation, agent costs, etc). BTW you can get 8% plus interest pa in Australian bank account.
Old Jun 1st 2008, 6:41 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tiggs+Graz
will they?
personally i doubt it
It could go either way. But consider: Australian house prices have rocketed overall for several years now, way beyond the cost of build in many cases. They have been kept artificially high (like for like with respect to similar UK units) by the growth of population and by the willingness of lenders to pump cash into the market, which just goes into inflating the "values" of houses on sale.

Now that lenders aren't so willing to shove money at people who are overextended, that effect at least has diminished. In an ideal world this would lead to a sharp reduction in prices, especially as the worst of the 'junk" mortgages fall apart and the units are sold at firesale prices. It's really only the increasing number of people entering the market that can sustain these still high valuations. Which way it goes is anyone's guess: my own is that there will be a long period of price reductions or static prices, especially at the lower end of the market.

There are still plenty of people in the capital cities who are buying $3m plus places and this segment is probably different in kind.

A new build just up the road sold recently for $2.75m: the land cost was about $800k and the build cost probably in the order of the same: nice builder's profit - but only because it was a Sydney buyer who equated local prices with those in town! Otherwise things are very slow and asking prices are nothing like selling prices.
Old Jun 1st 2008, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

daddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Wol
It could go either way. But consider: Australian house prices have rocketed overall for several years now, way beyond the cost of build in many cases. They have been kept artificially high (like for like with respect to similar UK units) by the growth of population and by the willingness of lenders to pump cash into the market, which just goes into inflating the "values" of houses on sale.

Now that lenders aren't so willing to shove money at people who are overextended, that effect at least has diminished. In an ideal world this would lead to a sharp reduction in prices, especially as the worst of the 'junk" mortgages fall apart and the units are sold at firesale prices. It's really only the increasing number of people entering the market that can sustain these still high valuations. Which way it goes is anyone's guess: my own is that there will be a long period of price reductions or static prices, especially at the lower end of the market.

There are still plenty of people in the capital cities who are buying $3m plus places and this segment is probably different in kind.

A new build just up the road sold recently for $2.75m: the land cost was about $800k and the build cost probably in the order of the same: nice builder's profit - but only because it was a Sydney buyer who equated local prices with those in town! Otherwise things are very slow and asking prices are nothing like selling prices.
Thanks a great deal for your advice.
I have been looking at buying a new build in Aus but they seem reluctant to give me a price. Can you tell me if you can buy a newly built 4 bedroom house (which I believe I will need to wait approx. 6 months for it to be built) for $370,000? Thanks again for your advice.
Old Jun 1st 2008, 7:12 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks a great deal for your advice.
I have been looking at buying a new build in Aus but they seem reluctant to give me a price. Can you tell me if you can buy a newly built 4 bedroom house (which I believe I will need to wait approx. 6 months for it to be built) for $370,000? Thanks again for your advice.
Piece of string!

Depends on where the house is, standard of build and accessories etc - and also, here, what they reckon you'll stand!

They seem reluctant to get back to you? Welcome to the Australian Business Model: most companies just don't put themselves out to get back to you until you have contacted them three or four times. It's too much trouble, you see.
Old Jun 1st 2008, 7:44 am

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wol
Piece of string!

Depends on where the house is, standard of build and accessories etc - and also, here, what they reckon you'll stand!

They seem reluctant to get back to you? Welcome to the Australian Business Model: most companies just don't put themselves out to get back to you until you have contacted them three or four times. It's too much trouble, you see.
Amen Brudda!!!