Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Housing market....again

Housing market....again

Old Apr 9th 2010, 5:02 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Housing market....again

Originally Posted by coolshadows
Yeah and isn't it next year when 'fuel duty' is added to LPG for the first time? (raising again in 2012).
Didn't know that. I'd thought LPG would get cheaper considering the world is discovering gas left right and centre and Aus is the epicentre of world gas reserves. Oh well, another rip off to add to the pile.

Anyway, I'm not listening to that rubbish, it's cheap here in Aus and everything is rosy and everyone's bleeding 50 dollar notes coz were so bloody better than the rest of the world and I love gloating at the poor Poms who are trying to migrate here..
Old Apr 9th 2010, 5:06 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by pomtastic
Didn't know that. I'd thought LPG would get cheaper considering the world is discovering gas left right and centre and Aus is the epicentre of world gas reserves. Oh well, another rip off to add to the pile.

Anyway, I'm not listening to that rubbish, it's cheap here in Aus and everything is rosy and everyone's bleeding 50 dollar notes coz were so bloody better than the rest of the world and I love gloating at the poor Poms who are trying to migrate here..
probably putting duty on LPG cause of the following...

"Recent testing indicates Autogas fuelled vehicles have no cleaner exhaust emissions than late model petrol fuelled vehicles."
Old Apr 9th 2010, 5:06 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
They do ? Not what I have seen.

They are
I'm glad you have finally seen the light ABCDiamond.

It wasn't that long ago you were telling everyone how different the Aussies were, how they wasn't in debt as much as other Western countries and how so much more prudent they are.

Good work, keep it up.

PS, can't remember exactly what you said but it was along those lines and I can't be arsed to source it.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 5:13 am
BE Enthusiast

probably putting duty on LPG cause of the following...
What next? The price of beef going up (again) because cows farting is causing more damage to the ozone layer than first thought.

Oh dear, probably given the tax people an idea ... should of kept that quiet.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 5:17 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

What next? The price of beef going up (again) because cows farting is causing more damage to the ozone layer than first thought.

Oh dear, probably given the tax people an idea ... should of kept that quiet.
nah, otherwise they'd start taxing tins of beans too.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 5:32 am
BE Enthusiast

nah, otherwise they'd start taxing tins of beans too.
Price of Baked Beans doesn't affect me personally, too expensive to buy as it is.

Missing those 9p tins of Tesco Value beans, do they still do those in UK?
Old Apr 9th 2010, 5:51 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Housing market....again

I try to avoid troll threads these days, but this one was irresistible. Since when was Australia "the epicentre of world gas reserves"? If you look at the data you'll see that we're actually 27th on the list, which in global terms is little more than a polite burp.

The epicentre of world gas is Russia, with gas reserves 212 times larger than Australia's.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 6:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I try to avoid troll threads these days, but this one was irresistible. Since when was Australia "the epicentre of world gas reserves"? If you look at the data you'll see that we're actually 27th on the list, which in global terms is little more than a polite burp.

The epicentre of world gas is Russia, with gas reserves 212 times larger than Australia's.
Thanks for letting me know that Vash. From reading the West Australian newspaper here in Perth I was under the impression that we had hit gold on Gorgon and that everyone in the world was going to be queuing up to get our gas supply and we'd be all rich forever and more. Amen.

27th on the list - that's made my day!
Old Apr 9th 2010, 6:45 am
Pie Eater

Thanks for letting me know that Vash. From reading the West Australian newspaper here in Perth I was under the impression that we had hit gold on Gorgon and that everyone in the world was going to be queuing up to get our gas supply and we'd be all rich forever and more. Amen.

27th on the list - that's made my day!
Probably like that moment when Rudd had been talking big about being the center player in signing an imminent global agreement on emissions, only to find out the big players had privately 'signed' an agreement without his input.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 6:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Probably like that moment when Rudd had been talking big about being the center player in signing an imminent global agreement on emissions, only to find out the big players had privately 'signed' an agreement without his input.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 10:34 am
ABCDiamond

I'm glad you have finally seen the light ABCDiamond.

It wasn't that long ago you were telling everyone how different the Aussies were, how they wasn't in debt as much as other Western countries and how so much more prudent they are.

Good work, keep it up.

PS, can't remember exactly what you said but it was along those lines and I can't be arsed to source it.
I think you you should try to find it, you may be mistaken slightly...

What I did say was that the recession was not going to hit Australia as hard as everywhere else, due to the overall situation here being such that the country was able to avoid it.

I was also talking about the countries debt, not individual householders. Two different things that should not be confused so easily...

I have however mentioned credit card debt, but the change was not overly significant, and only mentioned to clarify someone else stating over-inflated / exaggerated figures. I probably said it wasn't as bad as they were saying, very different to what you seem to have inferred.

eg: Average Credit Card debt balances:
Sep-2008 $2,240.38
Sep-2009 $2,260.14

Old Apr 10th 2010, 3:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I think you you should try to find it, you may be mistaken slightly...

What I did say was that the recession was not going to hit Australia as hard as everywhere else, due to the overall situation here being such that the country was able to avoid it.

I was also talking about the countries debt, not individual householders. Two different things that should not be confused so easily...

I have however mentioned credit card debt, but the change was not overly significant, and only mentioned to clarify someone else stating over-inflated / exaggerated figures. I probably said it wasn't as bad as they were saying, very different to what you seem to have inferred.

eg: Average Credit Card debt balances:
Sep-2008 $2,240.38
Sep-2009 $2,260.14
It's not the credit debt that's the biggie, it's the mortgage refinancing, you know, bunging on a lump sum on your mortage to do household improvements, new car, holidays, pay off credit card debt.

Apparently, mortgage refinancing is the biggest growing sector of the mortgage market - basically, loans against house prices staying high. Scary concept if it goes tits up.

Nicholas Cage, 5th highest paid actor with earnings of $40 million a year, according to Forbes magazine, has been unable to sell his Bel Air mansion for the asking price of $35 mill, bidding started at $10.4 mill but no takers. Cage had 6 loans against his property of $18 mill (he spent it on shit, yachts, more property, art, jewellry. I know this is an extreme case but I bet plenty of Aussies would be in a scaled down version if property prices dropped, that is, they would owe more than the house is worth even though they have been paying off the mortgage for 10 + years.

http://www.theage.com.au/world/and-t...0409-ryr1.html

I know plenty of Perthies 'living the life' here, new car, flash holidays, latest gear all on the never never - it's more rife than you think and people just don't seem to give a damn. Glad, I'm doing the total opposite as I think the majority have got it so wrong and will get stuffed eventually.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 4:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Here we go, one for ABCDiamond. This isn't going to end well.

Property boom spurs spending spree

SURGING property prices appear to be driving a spending spree in Australia, with home owners taking out bigger mortgages to help fund the purchase of big-ticket items, from new cars to holidays.

While many struggle to get a foothold in the housing market, home owners buoyed by double-digit rises in property prices are increasingly using their homes as ATMs.

It has rekindled memories of the early 1990s when banks encouraged home owners to borrow for a holiday or new car and add it to their mortgage.

But regulators and economists fear that the borrowing binge could leave home owners vulnerable to rising interest rates, while any sudden reversal of housing prices might tip many into negative equity - when the size of the loan exceeds the value of the property.