Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Housing bubble in Australia

Housing bubble in Australia

Old Mar 9th 2010, 7:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Housing bubble in Australia

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I think asprilla meant that those factors drive growth. Some of you seem to have interpreted this as factors that drive a bubble. Not the same thing.

Has anyone actually said "it's different"?
He meant they drive prices. Not necessarily the same as growth.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 7:25 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steve2009
He meant they drive prices. Not necessarily the same as growth.
The post was in response to a quote that started "The growth..." so I had to assume he meant growth. Maybe he could clarify.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
The post was in response to a quote that started "The growth..." so I had to assume he meant growth. Maybe he could clarify.
Apologies, he replied to my post, I intended to refer to capital value growth.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 9:52 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Fair enough
Old Mar 9th 2010, 11:49 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I meant capital growth.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 11:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pomtastic
I love this post from an Australian Property Investor's Forum and would like to share.

"I've just had an unnerving conversation with a friend very much into property who bought a beautiful home in Santa Cruz of California in 2006 for $750,000. They are now seriously underwater, with a similiar house on the market in their street for, firstly $300K and now $200K - no takers.

She asked what the property market was like in Oz and I rambled on about the same stuff that we all said when I was living in Ca - oh, it's great, loads of immigration, lack of supply...market looking fantastic...limited land releases...can only go up.. blah blah blah.

There was a dead silence and she said "Do you know how idiotic you sound?".

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/show...8&postcount=22
Interesting how the crash played out differently in each place and was caused by different combinations of factors. I guess the friend didn't really understand that everywhere is not operating under exactly the same circumstances as her place. Wish they were...we'd all be nostradamus's....

Being cyclical I guess we all know it will either crash bigtime or maybe just drop a little and then stay static for years to let wages catch up (like last 2 bubbles in Australia). Knowing "when" that will start to happen is a lot harder.

Last edited by fish.01; Mar 9th 2010 at 12:10 pm.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 12:24 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard it all before. Every country that has a property bubble thinks that they are 'different'. Immigration is not guaranteed, neither is inflation and Australia is not short of land, zoned or otherwise.

You don't have to be Einstein to realise that prices can go both ways. Once capital appreciation is gone your investment, whether it is in your own housing utility or that of others, is a dud.

I see no shanty towns or families living in cars in Australia so I can only deduce that there is no vast shortage of properties. Housing is readily available and well priced, you don't need to buy it. There is a vast disconnect between rental pricing and purchase pricing, this implies that the purchase price is disconnected from the housing utility provided by the property.
To me, your post is full of flawed logic. Why do you think that the presence of Shanty towns indicates a shortage of housing supply?! Perhaps you should consider some of the other factors at play, I don't think I really need to expand on this point.

Then you state that there is a disconnect between rental and purchase pricing. Yet you will struggle to back up this statement, because it simply isn't true. Yes - I agree that perhaps 1% to 5% of properties exhibit the disconnect you are talking about.... $1m shacks being rented out for $300 per week. But by and large, your statement is simply false. The vast majority of properties show a relationship between capital value and income.

To me, this thread demonstrates a few things :
1) people will read what they want to read, not what is written in front of their eyes.
2) property - whether it is purely for investment purposes or "a home, because I didn't buy it to make money, I bought it as a place to live in" - is simply an asset, just like any other. A lot of people don't seem to understand this point.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

TakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
I'd just like to make my first post in the bubble thread, here it is:

And here's my only contribution, too

Old Mar 9th 2010, 9:30 pm
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

people keep telling me that there's not much land left in Australia suitable for housing, and this is a key factor in driving house prices...

"The most extensive land use in Australia is livestock grazing in arid and semi-arid regions and covers 430 million hectares or 56 percent of Australia.

The most intensive use is the built environment, which occupies about 2.4 million hectares, or 0.3 percent of Australia. The built environment encompasses both urban and periurban areas and open-cut mines."
http://www.anra.gov.au/topics/land/landuse
Old Mar 9th 2010, 9:50 pm
Account Open

Originally Posted by coolshadows
people keep telling me that there's not much land left in Australia suitable for housing, and this is a key factor in driving house prices...

http://www.anra.gov.au/topics/land/landuse

There's still plenty of land left that can be covered in concrete... Like you I don't believe that line.

But the bigger picture is that planet earth has a finite supply of land, and a human population that is growing fast. The number of people on earth has doubled in the past 45 or 50 years, and it is still increasing.

Not many people want to live out in the livestock grazing areas of Australia... they are generally very boring places, and very hot too.

It's the same story the world over. There are good places to live, and there are rubbish places to live. Practically everyone wants to live in the good places.

So it is pretty easy to conclude that the "good" places will simply get more and more expensive over time (for as long as they remain "good").

Perhaps if world population growth becomes negative, and we see deflation across the globe, then we'll also see land prices heading south in the long term. Doesn't seem likely though.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fish.01
Interesting how the crash played out differently in each place and was caused by different combinations of factors. I guess the friend didn't really understand that everywhere is not operating under exactly the same circumstances as her place. Wish they were...we'd all be nostradamus's....

Being cyclical I guess we all know it will either crash bigtime or maybe just drop a little and then stay static for years to let wages catch up (like last 2 bubbles in Australia). Knowing "when" that will start to happen is a lot harder.
That's not a correction (crash), that's a pause at best.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/08/op...08krugman.html
Old Mar 9th 2010, 10:00 pm
Just Joined

Stitchy is an unknown quantity at this point

RE: LAND

I'd just like to add that it's true there's finite usable land in Australia.

But land isn't a requirement for a home. Only space is.

We can and should greatly encourage the building up of what land we've already released.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by asprilla
Perhaps if world population growth becomes negative, and we see deflation across the globe, then we'll also see land prices heading south in the long term. Doesn't seem likely though.
We have seen land prices heading south in the long term: Japan, USA, Ireland, Netherlands.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 10:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

To me, your post is full of flawed logic. Why do you think that the presence of Shanty towns indicates a shortage of housing supply?! Perhaps you should consider some of the other factors at play, I don't think I really need to expand on this point.
Theres is no shortage of supply in Australia over a third of housing units in Australia have two or more vacant bedrooms as of 2008. There are hundreds of thousands of vacant units in a country with just over 8 million households. Every other economy in the world where there has been a bubble has thought that they were 'different' and that their bubbles were predicated on fundamentals. Even Ireland with it's inclement climate thought that the migration gravy train would never end. Our builders thought that 60 to 80 thousands new units per annum was a sustainable level of demand. Queensland is the Florida of Australia.
Then you state that there is a disconnect between rental and purchase pricing. Yet you will struggle to back up this statement, because it simply isn't true. Yes - I agree that perhaps 1% to 5% of properties exhibit the disconnect you are talking about.... $1m shacks being rented out for $300 per week. But by and large, your statement is simply false. The vast majority of properties show a relationship between capital value and income.
Any properties I have looked at have rental yields of less than 5% given that interest rates are currently historically low at 7% they are non-performing assets. Show me a suburb that yields an actual 10% plus per annum and I will invest today.
To me, this thread demonstrates a few things :
1) people will read what they want to read, not what is written in front of their eyes.
2) property - whether it is purely for investment purposes or "a home, because I didn't buy it to make money, I bought it as a place to live in" - is simply an asset, just like any other. A lot of people don't seem to understand this point.
Your first point is redundant and a poor basis for debate. I could equally accuse you of ignoring what's written in front of you. Hence I'll ignore that point.

Your second point is very valid. Property is no different to any other other investment asset or class, yet Australian's treat it differently and invest for a tax break on a loss making investment on the hopes of a capital gain. It's a 'greater fool' investment. They would not adopt the same approach to equities over the long term, but property is 'different'.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Amsterdam Study:
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/03/wo...lips.html?_r=1

If you think this thread is long then look at these:
http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=31710
and it's successor:
http://www.thepropertypin.com/viewto...t=264&p=362366

Last edited by Steve2009; Mar 9th 2010 at 10:20 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.