Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Housing bubble in Australia

Housing bubble in Australia

Old Feb 9th 2010, 3:45 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of
Default Re: Housing bubble in Australia

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
This then gets reduced by the Child Care Tax Rebate of about 50%.
Getting a little side tracked, but the rebate depends on salary, therefore if you have 2 in full time work, you'll not get as much rebate (probably fair enough I guess).

We are paying about $30/day per child, and that's after the rebate. It would likely cost more with an increase in household income.

Still, I would have thought that the average household income would be 1x full time and 1x part time. With the minority being 2x fulltime and single income.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 3:58 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by coolshadows
Getting a little side tracked, but the rebate depends on salary, therefore if you have 2 in full time work, you'll not get as much rebate (probably fair enough I guess).

We are paying about $30/day per child, and that's after the rebate. It would likely cost more with an increase in household income.

Still, I would have thought that the average household income would be 1x full time and 1x part time. With the minority being 2x fulltime and single income.
There is no income test for the Child Care Rebate.
If you are using approved child care for work, training or study related reasons, the government will provide you with 50 per cent of your out-of-pocket child care costs, up to $7778 (indexed) for each child each year.

Old Feb 9th 2010, 4:30 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pomtastic
Australia's loan mortgage market is doing so well that the Commonwealth Bank has freezed it's mortgage fund.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/cba-f...0113-m705.html
oopsa daisy and this at a time when the economy is "on a roll" and has managed to "evade a recession".

All I can think of when I see numbers touted here to prove that there won't be a crisis in the property sector, mortgage repayments are but just a small fraction of monthly, house prices have/have not increased/ will always rise/never fall...blah...blah is "lies damned lies and statistics".
Old Feb 9th 2010, 4:40 am
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pomtastic
Australia's loan mortgage market is doing so well that the Commonwealth Bank has freezed it's mortgage fund.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/cba-f...0113-m705.html
In context it is not CBA it is Colonial Funds Management which is not guaranteed like the Banks and
Code:
The freeze was limited to only one of the eight mortgage-style funds offered by Colonial, the spokesman said.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 4:42 am
Banned

swigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
How much is a reasonable amount of household income, to pay for a median mortgage.

That chart quotes "Sydney 57.4% share of median household income to pay mortgage on median property prices."

Average Sydney wages are:
Male $1,353.00 pw
Female $1,103.60 pw

Combined income = $127,743 per year

57.4% of that = $6,110 per month in repayments.
That would cover a mortgage of about $1,000,000

However a mortgage for the median priced house would be about $400,000 with repayments of about $2,620 per month, or 24.6% of the income.

Does that look like a reasonable option for housing affordability. A median house with two full time average incomes, with repayments at 24.6% of the income. ?
Lets see what affect using NET income has and the actual Sydney median price?

Using the same figures as ABC.

Combined NET income = $101,400

57.4% of that = $4850 per month in repayments
That would cover a mortgage of about $700,000

However a mortgage for the median SYDNEY house would be about $510,000 with repayments of about $3530 per month, or 41.7% of the income.

A median house with two people earning median wages with repayments at 41.7% of NET income Considering the figure where mortgage repayments are considered at stress levels is 30%
Does this look like an affordable option for housing affordability?

Last edited by swigski; Feb 9th 2010 at 4:43 am. Reason: a
Old Feb 9th 2010, 4:42 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mulben
In context it is not CBA it is Colonial Funds Management which is not guaranteed like the Banks and
Code:
The freeze was limited to only one of the eight mortgage-style funds offered by Colonial, the spokesman said.
Colonial are part of CBA.

I'm amazed this didn't make headline news when it happened a couple of weeks ago.

Shows just how toxic the mortgages it has on its books are. "No sub-prime in Australia" - yeah right!
Old Feb 9th 2010, 4:59 am
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth

I'm amazed this didn't make headline news when it happened a couple of weeks ago.

Shows just how toxic the mortgages it has on its books are. "No sub-prime in Australia" - yeah right!
Owned by CBA but not under a Bank guarantee - it does make a difference and by the way it was frozen over a year ago
Old Feb 9th 2010, 5:06 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by swigski

However a mortgage for the median SYDNEY house would be about $510,000 with repayments of about $3530 per month, or 41.7% of the income.

A median house with two people earning median wages with repayments at 41.7% of NET income Considering the figure where mortgage repayments are considered at stress levels is 30%
In that case no money left for renovation (I've noticed most houses in decent areas at median prices, actually make that 30% over median prices are in need of extensive repairs/renovation to make it habitable), private school, cars etc. Hang on, of course it's affordable. You can always use personal loans or the credit card for that. Problem solved.

Last edited by IndieG; Feb 9th 2010 at 5:29 am.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 5:08 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by hereandthere
Houses are three or four times more expensive today than they were 30 years ago, and this is responsible for every social problem we have in our society.
Every social problem ?
I think that is stretching it...

However, on the more relevant topic, where is your "three or four times more expensive" figure coming from, and does that take account of increasing wages also?

1979 average wages $ 238 pw (Australia)
2009 average wages $1,353 pw (NSW) showing a 569% increase
ABS figures

Property Price Index for Sydney
1979 $ 50,700
2009 $447,000 showing a 881% increase.

Real increase = a 55% rise

Old Feb 9th 2010, 5:19 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by swigski

Could you do the same comparison for the other countries so we can compare like with like...

The normal calculation is done on Gross incomes, but of course doing it on a net income does make it look much worse than everywhere else....

Check out this: http://www.insolvency.gov.uk/insolve...cialStress.pdf

Where do you get your median mortgage of $510,000 from ?

These are figures that I have seen being quoted.
Average New Mortgages in Australia - January 2010
$397,888 NSW
$320,579 QLD
$286,101 SA
$328,323 VIC
$388,463 WA
$349,604 Australia
And the ABS quotes the median established house prices as $447,000

Old Feb 9th 2010, 5:22 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by IndieG
oopsa daisy and this at a time when the economy is "on a roll" and has managed to "evade a recession".

All I can think of when I see numbers touted here to prove that there won't be a crisis in the property sector, mortgage repayments are but just a small fraction of monthly, house prices have/have not increased/ will always rise/never fall...blah...blah is "lies damned lies and statistics".
I haven't actually seen any figures to prove that there won't be a crisis in the property sector. Nor have I seen any to prove that there will be.

There could be a crisis, but also there may not be. Only a few people are certain of what will happen. And I doubt anyone that is certain of the future.

Old Feb 9th 2010, 5:29 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by renth

It appears that it originally happened over a year ago, but re-opened for withdrawals in November, but have frozen it again recently.
Colonial reopened the fund to withdrawals about a month ago after a year-long freeze that was aimed at protecting the fund as jittery investors poured savings into safer bank deposits.
Up to $30 billion of mortgage funds were frozen last year - affecting 150,000 investors - after the Rudd Government introduced a guarantee on bank deposits that prompted a switch to the lower-risk investment.

Old Feb 9th 2010, 5:55 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

At least with the guaranteed continual increase in house prices, we'll all be better off.

the graph shows perfectly sustainable trends {cough}.

Last edited by coolshadows; Feb 9th 2010 at 5:57 am.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 6:04 am
ABCDiamond

At least with the guaranteed continual increase in house prices, we'll all be better off.

http://i46.tinypic.com/2ex7cqd.jpg

Having seen Sydney houses prices staying basically stable for so long, 2003-2010, I am not sure where a guaranteed continual increase in house prices comes from. In real terms they have dropped when wages are taken into account.

They will of course rise again one day, and go down again, and then rise again etc.

Old Feb 9th 2010, 6:19 am
ABCDiamond

http://i46.tinypic.com/2ex7cqd.jpg

The spike with that is all those people buying investment properties, and bumping up the total debt levels.

It probably also resulted in this change.

Household Debt to Household Assets ratio

-

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.