Reload this Page >

Housing Advise - Willoughby, Sydney, NSW

Housing Advise - Willoughby, Sydney, NSW

Old Aug 25th 2009, 5:02 pm
Just Joined

promaipete is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Housing Advise - Willoughby, Sydney, NSW

Hi all,

I am hoping that I would be able to seek some advise from the members of this forum!

My girlfriend and I are moving to Sydney in a few months and are looking at living in the Chatswood/Willoughsby area. Unfortunately, we have had a few issues finding flats -

Firstly, all of our offers seem pretty cheap (About $600 a month, some of them including facilities) in comparision to the photos. In your experiance, is this figure fairly low, or average?

Also, people have been reluctant in giving us tennant contracts for review, often askin for a security deposit first. This is screaming at me as being a load of rubbish, as there is no way it would happen in London - am I being paronoid, or are my instincts correct?

Thank you in advance for any advice you can give!

All the best,
Pete
Old Aug 25th 2009, 5:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

shorrock is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Housing Advise - Willoughby, Sydney, NSW

Originally Posted by promaipete View Post
Hi all,

I am hoping that I would be able to seek some advise from the members of this forum!

My girlfriend and I are moving to Sydney in a few months and are looking at living in the Chatswood/Willoughsby area. Unfortunately, we have had a few issues finding flats -

Firstly, all of our offers seem pretty cheap (About $600 a month, some of them including facilities) in comparision to the photos. In your experiance, is this figure fairly low, or average?

Also, people have been reluctant in giving us tennant contracts for review, often askin for a security deposit first. This is screaming at me as being a load of rubbish, as there is no way it would happen in London - am I being paronoid, or are my instincts correct?

All the best,
Pete
Renting in Australia is quite safe, unlike UK. Less landlords trying to rip you off.

The deposit is a sign of good faith. Why would they give you the contract without you showing intrest in the place esp when your not in the country. The deposit if fully refundable (or should be), if you don't sign the contract or you are not offered the place.

Most of the time you should be filling in an application form. Basic details + jobs so they can decide if your a good bet (pay the rent on time without issues).

$600 a MONTH sounds cheap. I would say it is more $600 a WEEK. Usually in Aus they quote by the week, so check that out.

Also given the rental market in Sydney, they are not going to wait for you to turn up. There is probably 2 or 3 other people who are willing to rent now. I think vacancy rates in Sydney are around the 2-3% which is very low and makes it hard to find given the high demand for rental places.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 10:15 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

There's no way in hell that's $600 a month in those areas. As the PP says, rents are quoted weekly, which seems about the going rate if you are looking at a 2 bed 2 bath.

Have you been on www.domain.com.au?

I would think it highly unlikely you will secure a rental from a distance. Too much hassle and too risky for the landlord. Most people book themselves into serviced apartments or holiday rentals for at least a couple of weeks while they look around.

If you look for old threads on renting in Sydney (perhaps under my name) you will find other people's experiences, and also what paperwork you need.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

HeatherandTim is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

All the best,
Pete
I think a better area would be Crows Nest. Its a younger vibe than Willoughby. (depending on your age of course) Willoughby is a quieter suburb attracting wealthier families. House prices are expensive. Crows Nest has more cafes, restaurants and shops. It is also closer to the city but also close to Chatswood. Sorry I cant help with the rental questions.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 12:37 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

All the best,
Pete
Pete, as the others have stated, you have got it wrong, it will be $600 per week not month which puts a completely different slant on things from your perspective!! Not so cheap now huh!!
DO NOT take a place before you arrive, remember that advertising NEVER shows you the real deal and some photos can be old and not show how the property is now. Even so, it is highly unlikely that an agent will let you rent before seeing anyway, its for their own protection as well.
Your best bet, if you really want or need to be in that area, is take a short term serviced apartment or B&B for 2 weeks then look around then. Good apartments go really quick and can be spaced out so you will need to plan your viewings carefully. Try and engage with a Estate Agent and ask about properties that are SOON to come on the market and which may have not yet been advertised, mthat way you may get ahead of the crowd.
If you can afford it get a relocation agent to help you as they know the business inside out and can show you round in their car, invaluable! But if you can't afford it then be prepared for some disappointments till you get the right place.
I was fixed on a location before I got here by looking at Domain and then checking out the commute times, but then it all changed once in Sydney. Its a HUGE city and has so many different factors to take into account.
Good luck!
Old Aug 26th 2009, 5:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

North Sydney is a good place to base yourself when you first arrive (plenty of short term "holiday" apartments) if you're looking to rent along the North Shore line. Unless you are working in Chatswood there are much nicer places to live in that area. You NEED internet access if you're trying to get a rental, as often things come onto the real estate agents' sites before domain and realestate.com. It's well worth visiting agents in the areas you are interested in and trying to build a personal relationship so they will show you things privately rather than taking your chances with everyone else at the open viewing. If a place is particulaly nice there is every chance that yours won't be the only application then it's up to the landlord to decide who s/he wants which is when being newly arrived can be a disadvantage.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 2:56 pm
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

Also, people have been reluctant in giving us tennant contracts for review, often askin for a security deposit first.
Your instincts are right, this is a scam.

Rental Scam

I've heard of a few cases recently. Where did you see the properties advertised?

Last edited by Big Galah; Aug 26th 2009 at 3:01 pm.