housing

Old Feb 7th 2005, 12:04 pm
Just Joined

crook_n_bottom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default housing

Hello,
I'm a newbie so excuse any faux pas. Me and my partner are aiming to go to melbourne on a skilled independent visa. A 'friend' has just informed us that once we get there we can only rent as only nationals can buy a house. Is this true?
Old Feb 7th 2005, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: housing

hiya,just wanted to say welcome to the forum, you ll find the people on here invaluable.
Of course we can buy a house in oz,but if you need a mortgage i think you need to be employed for a year, although this does vary from state to state,i think as long as youve built up a good credit rating your ok.

tracey.
Old Feb 7th 2005, 12:54 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crook_n_bottom
Hello,
I'm a newbie so excuse any faux pas. Me and my partner are aiming to go to melbourne on a skilled independent visa. A 'friend' has just informed us that once we get there we can only rent as only nationals can buy a house. Is this true?
Welcome to the madhouse

You might get more / better responses to this sort of question on the immigration forum but I think what you are referring to is:

if you have a permanent visa you can buy straight away but it you have a temporary (eg sponsored) visa you need permission from an agency called something like the Foreign Investment Review Board to buy.

Someone will no doubt correct me if I am wrong
Old Feb 7th 2005, 1:31 pm
Just Joined

crook_n_bottom is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the help. I've moved the thread.