Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Houses/flats to rent.

Houses/flats to rent.

Old Sep 20th 2010, 12:21 pm
Just Joined

JoeyTurnbull is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Houses/flats to rent.

Hi, im moving to Brisbane in November for a year and plan to work to fund my time there and would prefer to rent somewhere rather than bounce between youth hostels etc.

I was interested to know what sort of cost should i be expecting to have, what sort of digs can you get for weekly/monthly cost, and utilities such as council tax?! (if this is even paid in Australia?!)
Is there plenty of oportunity for rented accom, and is it worth looking into house sharing with current Oz residents?!

Thanks
/Joey
Old Sep 20th 2010, 12:24 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Houses/flats to rent.

Originally Posted by JoeyTurnbull
Hi, im moving to Brisbane in November for a year and plan to work to fund my time there and would prefer to rent somewhere rather than bounce between youth hostels etc.

I was interested to know what sort of cost should i be expecting to have, what sort of digs can you get for weekly/monthly cost, and utilities such as council tax?! (if this is even paid in Australia?!)
Is there plenty of oportunity for rented accom, and is it worth looking into house sharing with current Oz residents?!

Thanks
/Joey
Forgive me if this is negative but what visa do you have? You say you plan to work.....
Old Sep 20th 2010, 12:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
Forgive me if this is negative but what visa do you have? You say you plan to work.....

working holiday visa...
Old Sep 20th 2010, 12:29 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

working holiday visa...
Fair go then. The Brisbanites will be along to help soon I'm sure. Good luck.

Alistair.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

Fair go then. The Brisbanites will be along to help soon I'm sure. Good luck.

Alistair.

did you think i was tryin to sneak in hehe

cheers anyway
Old Sep 20th 2010, 12:48 pm
221b Baker Street

did you think i was tryin to sneak in hehe

cheers anyway
You'd be surprised (or not). We do get people asking about work when they are on tourist visas and then get annoyed when we tell then they can't work. BE can't aid and abet breaking immi rules AND Diac staff read this site.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

You'd be surprised (or not). We do get people asking about work when they are on tourist visas and then get annoyed when we tell then they can't work. BE can't aid and abet breaking immi rules AND Diac staff read this site.
in that case your fully entitled to ask those sort of questions! tbh, i apologise on behalf of the idiots!! haha
Old Sep 20th 2010, 12:55 pm

expatasia is an unknown quantity at this point

in that case your fully entitled to ask those sort of questions! tbh, i apologise on behalf of the idiots!! haha
No need to be reverential to our friendly Alistair of Dock Green.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 12:56 pm
221b Baker Street

Originally Posted by expatasia
No need to be reverential to our friendly Alistair of Dock Green.
G*ll*x
Old Sep 20th 2010, 1:11 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
/Joey
A few hints in here but really you can get whatever sort of accommodation you want once you're here, just a question of how much you want to spend/have available to spend and how big a place you need. I assume though that you'd want it furnished, so that would limit you a bit more than if you have your own stuff.
Have a look on www.realestate.com.au for furnished places, I think they have some shared places on there as well. SOme people have used a site called Gumtree as well but I've got no experience of that personally.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 3:56 pm
Just Joined

Laurab1987 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, I don't suppose this is Joey Turnbull from Kent? I used to play hockey with someone with the same name!!
Old Sep 20th 2010, 11:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
A few hints in here but really you can get whatever sort of accommodation you want once you're here, just a question of how much you want to spend/have available to spend and how big a place you need. I assume though that you'd want it furnished, so that would limit you a bit more than if you have your own stuff.
Have a look on www.realestate.com.au for furnished places, I think they have some shared places on there as well. SOme people have used a site called Gumtree as well but I've got no experience of that personally.
Thanks for the links im sure they will be helpful ill check them out in the morning just got back from a long shift, yeah i will be looking for furnished too. ive looked on gumtree and alot is house sharing and only for one room, need 2 rooms as im travelling with a friend! anyway thanks again

Originally Posted by Laurab1987
Hey, I don't suppose this is Joey Turnbull from Kent? I used to play hockey with someone with the same name!!
Sorry to disappoint but im from co.durham tup north although your friend has a very good name, im am not him! hehe although i did used to play hockey but not the kind your probly talkin about.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 12:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

I think $150 per week would be a good starting point for a room in a share house commutable from the city.