Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Houses/flats to rent.

Houses/flats to rent.

Old Sep 20th 2010, 12:21 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 13
JoeyTurnbull is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Houses/flats to rent.

Hi, im moving to Brisbane in November for a year and plan to work to fund my time there and would prefer to rent somewhere rather than bounce between youth hostels etc.

I was interested to know what sort of cost should i be expecting to have, what sort of digs can you get for weekly/monthly cost, and utilities such as council tax?! (if this is even paid in Australia?!)
Is there plenty of oportunity for rented accom, and is it worth looking into house sharing with current Oz residents?!

Thanks
/Joey
JoeyTurnbull is offline  
Old Sep 20th 2010, 12:24 pm
  #2  
221b Baker Street
 
Sherlock Holmes's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Miles from anywhere, Victoria, Australia.
Posts: 14,125
Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Houses/flats to rent.

Originally Posted by JoeyTurnbull View Post
Hi, im moving to Brisbane in November for a year and plan to work to fund my time there and would prefer to rent somewhere rather than bounce between youth hostels etc.

I was interested to know what sort of cost should i be expecting to have, what sort of digs can you get for weekly/monthly cost, and utilities such as council tax?! (if this is even paid in Australia?!)
Is there plenty of oportunity for rented accom, and is it worth looking into house sharing with current Oz residents?!

Thanks
/Joey
Forgive me if this is negative but what visa do you have? You say you plan to work.....
Sherlock Holmes is offline  
Old Sep 20th 2010, 12:25 pm
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 13
JoeyTurnbull is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Houses/flats to rent.

Originally Posted by alistairboyle View Post
Forgive me if this is negative but what visa do you have? You say you plan to work.....

working holiday visa...
JoeyTurnbull is offline  
Old Sep 20th 2010, 12:29 pm
  #4  
221b Baker Street
 
Sherlock Holmes's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Miles from anywhere, Victoria, Australia.
Posts: 14,125
Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Houses/flats to rent.

Originally Posted by JoeyTurnbull View Post
working holiday visa...
Fair go then. The Brisbanites will be along to help soon I'm sure. Good luck.

Alistair.
Sherlock Holmes is offline  
Old Sep 20th 2010, 12:30 pm
  #5  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 13
JoeyTurnbull is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Houses/flats to rent.

Originally Posted by alistairboyle View Post
Fair go then. The Brisbanites will be along to help soon I'm sure. Good luck.

Alistair.

did you think i was tryin to sneak in hehe

cheers anyway
JoeyTurnbull is offline  
Old Sep 20th 2010, 12:48 pm
  #6  
221b Baker Street
 
Sherlock Holmes's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Miles from anywhere, Victoria, Australia.
Posts: 14,125
Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Houses/flats to rent.

Originally Posted by JoeyTurnbull View Post
did you think i was tryin to sneak in hehe

cheers anyway
You'd be surprised (or not). We do get people asking about work when they are on tourist visas and then get annoyed when we tell then they can't work. BE can't aid and abet breaking immi rules AND Diac staff read this site.
Sherlock Holmes is offline  
Old Sep 20th 2010, 12:50 pm
  #7  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 13
JoeyTurnbull is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Houses/flats to rent.

Originally Posted by alistairboyle View Post
You'd be surprised (or not). We do get people asking about work when they are on tourist visas and then get annoyed when we tell then they can't work. BE can't aid and abet breaking immi rules AND Diac staff read this site.
in that case your fully entitled to ask those sort of questions! tbh, i apologise on behalf of the idiots!! haha
JoeyTurnbull is offline  
Old Sep 20th 2010, 12:55 pm
  #8  
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 3,890
expatasia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Houses/flats to rent.

Originally Posted by JoeyTurnbull View Post
in that case your fully entitled to ask those sort of questions! tbh, i apologise on behalf of the idiots!! haha
No need to be reverential to our friendly Alistair of Dock Green.
expatasia is offline  
Old Sep 20th 2010, 12:56 pm
  #9  
221b Baker Street
 
Sherlock Holmes's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Miles from anywhere, Victoria, Australia.
Posts: 14,125
Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Houses/flats to rent.

Originally Posted by expatasia View Post
No need to be reverential to our friendly Alistair of Dock Green.
G*ll*x
Sherlock Holmes is offline  
Old Sep 20th 2010, 1:11 pm
  #10  
Alone again, naturally
 
Pollyana's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Posts: 92,326
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Houses/flats to rent.

Originally Posted by JoeyTurnbull View Post
Hi, im moving to Brisbane in November for a year and plan to work to fund my time there and would prefer to rent somewhere rather than bounce between youth hostels etc.

I was interested to know what sort of cost should i be expecting to have, what sort of digs can you get for weekly/monthly cost, and utilities such as council tax?! (if this is even paid in Australia?!)
Is there plenty of oportunity for rented accom, and is it worth looking into house sharing with current Oz residents?!

Thanks
/Joey
A few hints in here but really you can get whatever sort of accommodation you want once you're here, just a question of how much you want to spend/have available to spend and how big a place you need. I assume though that you'd want it furnished, so that would limit you a bit more than if you have your own stuff.
Have a look on www.realestate.com.au for furnished places, I think they have some shared places on there as well. SOme people have used a site called Gumtree as well but I've got no experience of that personally.
Pollyana is offline  
Old Sep 20th 2010, 3:56 pm
  #11  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 8
Laurab1987 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Houses/flats to rent.

Hey, I don't suppose this is Joey Turnbull from Kent? I used to play hockey with someone with the same name!!
Laurab1987 is offline  
Old Sep 20th 2010, 11:30 pm
  #12  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 13
JoeyTurnbull is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Houses/flats to rent.

Originally Posted by Pollyana View Post
A few hints in here but really you can get whatever sort of accommodation you want once you're here, just a question of how much you want to spend/have available to spend and how big a place you need. I assume though that you'd want it furnished, so that would limit you a bit more than if you have your own stuff.
Have a look on www.realestate.com.au for furnished places, I think they have some shared places on there as well. SOme people have used a site called Gumtree as well but I've got no experience of that personally.
Thanks for the links im sure they will be helpful ill check them out in the morning just got back from a long shift, yeah i will be looking for furnished too. ive looked on gumtree and alot is house sharing and only for one room, need 2 rooms as im travelling with a friend! anyway thanks again



Originally Posted by Laurab1987 View Post
Hey, I don't suppose this is Joey Turnbull from Kent? I used to play hockey with someone with the same name!!
Sorry to disappoint but im from co.durham tup north although your friend has a very good name, im am not him! hehe although i did used to play hockey but not the kind your probly talkin about.
JoeyTurnbull is offline  
Old Sep 21st 2010, 12:27 am
  #13  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,412
Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Houses/flats to rent.

I think $150 per week would be a good starting point for a room in a share house commutable from the city.
Steve2009 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.