Reload this Page >

Houses and depression

Wikiposts

Houses and depression

Old Aug 8th 2003, 2:19 am
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Jolyn

It's my birthday and I'm fed up. Never want to buy or sell a house in the UK again. I don't care if in Oz buyers can pull out after 7 days - it's 3 months I can't stand. And no more sodding chains...

Enough moaning - we'll get there soon and best wishes to all of you to get there too.
Happy Birthday! Cheer up - the sun's shining and it's Friday!!

Nicola
Old Aug 8th 2003, 2:23 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Happy birthday Jolyn!

Got anything special planned?
Old Aug 8th 2003, 2:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the birthday wishes Southerner and Nicola.

We're planning a night out next week when we can round up our regular babysitter. And a trip on the London Eye. Meanwhile I'm going to enjoy a drink in the garden as soon as it cools down a bit out there.

We're a bit skint as we haven't had any work since Aug last year. Don't mind it though - it's been great to have Mike around all the time. Getting used to living cheaper ready for 'downsized' lifestyle we want in Oz.

Hubby has bought me a secondhand laptop on ebay for my birthday - great bargain too. It's to use when we move. How sad is that? Me, I mean - cos that's what I wanted!

I'm very happy with life right now - just not naturally a patient kind of person I think!
Old Aug 8th 2003, 2:45 am
BE Forum Addict

booboo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Happy birthday Jolyn........

Cheers
BooBoo
Old Aug 8th 2003, 3:55 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Happy birthday Jo, hope things pick up for you. (i have pm'ed you re: number! )
Old Aug 8th 2003, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

alextoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Jolyn
We did everything possible to get our house ready for sale. Spent £4K on repainting, new accessories and curtains, etc. Lots of viewings, most of whom loved it but only one offer after 3 weeks (long time for London) - £20K below asking price. Plenty of houses in our suburb have been on the market for 6 months or more with no offers so we were lucky to get that. That's after dropping the price 10% below last summer's selling prices. Many buyers are waiting around to see if prices drop further it seems.

Have now waited 3 months to get the sale through with chain. Area is too pricey these days to expect first time buyers for a 4 bed 3 storey house.

We've put the house back on the market today! Just had the handyman round to fix the few things toddler has trashed since his last month long stint of repainting etc in April. Hopefully a wonderful new buyer will arrive or our old one will get a move on.

It's my birthday and I'm fed up. Never want to buy or sell a house in the UK again. I don't care if in Oz buyers can pull out after 7 days - it's 3 months I can't stand. And no more sodding chains...

Enough moaning - we'll get there soon and best wishes to all of you to get there too.
Hi Jolyn

Sorry to hear about the problems with your house sale but look on the positive side that soon you'll be in Aus and not have to worry about U.K sales again! Your house will sell!

Our house went on the market this week and we've got it all to come!

All the best and happy birthday

Alex
Old Aug 8th 2003, 7:39 am
Crocodile Member

Location: Wurtulla, Sunshine Coast. Crikey Terri, That's a BIG ONE!
Andy_Hanrahan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Houses and depression

Phew!! reading this lot really brings home what I've been going through for the last four months. It sounds like there a lot of us out there with visas burning a hole in our passports, but unable to make the move without that all important sale.

Fortunately for us, after such a long delay we were able to get together enough funds without selling. We now plan to rent our house to some friends and if all goes according to plan, we'll be on that plane at the beginning of October. Nevertheless, I still find myself constantly thinking that something will go wrong!

I know it's not much consolation, but at least none of us is going through it alone.The number of posts on this subject is testimony to that. But a friend of mine who is from a family of property developers told me recently that ALL houses sell in the end, no matter what the market. It's just a matter of time. Of course, this is something that most of us don't have, at least not to waste.

The best of luck to each and every one of you who is going through this torture. I know exactly how you feel!

Andy

Originally posted by tinaj
I can't believe how many awful posts there are on here about house selling. I am feeling really down thinking about everyone who is trying to sell their house and the hassles they are getting. You would think it would be an easy thing to do.

Maybe we should send all these email to Tony Blair so they are prompted to bring the situation back into the limelight again. The system in England needs changing- fast.

I hope it all improves soon for all of my fellow house sellers. Lets bet on a fast going Autumn.
Old Aug 8th 2003, 8:00 am
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by southerner
Whisky,

I'll have a go at replying to this..I like a challenge.

Maybe your house is overpriced.
Maybe it is not what people want.
Maybe it is not presented well enough.

Am I being harsh??

There are many reasons why houses don't sell quickly. In the market we are in at the moment, you cannot get away with what they have in the past few years (with the rising market). People are looking to pay a fair price, and it is a buyers market at the moment.

That said, many sellers on this site have sold their house in a short period for close to the asking price. My wife and I are in this category. We are lucky in that we have a very in demand location, and we also spent a long time getting the house ready for sale and determining what was a fair asking price.

Hope I don't come acroiss as smug and unhelpful, but a reality check might be useful here. You cannot change the house selling process in the next 6 weeks, nor can you change general buyers behaviour.

But you can a) look at the price, and b) look at whether the house could be presented differently. I always watch the House Doctor and other programmes of that nature, and you can always make a house more sellable (no matter that it might not be what you personally would want to live in).

All the best - I hope something happens for you soon!

No Sunlover, its non of those reasons.
We have a place that is right out of the way, no neighbours and land included, and to be honest, I really don't think that people around here can afford it. Those that have been have come from other parts of the country.
But after posting about our troubles, we had someone come and have a look on Thursday evening, one tomorrow at 2.0 clock and one on Sunday. Perhaps they were all reading this forum and feel sorry for me.
Good luck to everyone who is trying to sell this weekend. I will keep my fingers crossed for you all.
Whisky.
Old Aug 8th 2003, 12:53 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Houses and depression

Originally posted by Megalania
You are illegal or illegitimate or both?
Both.

Old Aug 8th 2003, 4:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to all

best of luck with your weekend viewers, whisky.
our buyer's surveyor came last night, they are paying him £450 for a thorough search so we were a bit worried.
in our area there has recently been alot of concern about what is under the concrete floors, some kind of red shale which may or may not cause a problem in the future (about 9 - 12 inches down) there are several bungalows in our road which have had their floors dug up as a condition of sale - cost approx £8k. the company which do the survey always get the job too! it is a real scam we feel, there is no sign of anything here but we were worried nontheless.
he was here for about an hour and a half walking in, out, up in the loft, on the roof, around the garden and garage talking into a dictaphone.
so picture our relief when he said no problem, if it ain't broke don't fix it! just minor maintenance things for alan to do. the report will be typed up and with our buyer tuesday so it seems to be all systems go!
Old Aug 8th 2003, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Hope it all goes well after your survey. I will keep my fingers crossed.

Whisky
Old Aug 8th 2003, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hope it all goes well after your survey. I will keep my fingers crossed.

Whisky
Old Aug 8th 2003, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

I have never bought or sold a house before and am now grey before my years. Ours went on the market and we have had 8 veiwings in 4 days 5 in one night alone, we got our first offer yesterday, but rejected it. I love selling and have decided to be honest with people tellling them what would show up on the survey (as we have paid for the work to be done).

Also as their are few flats to people up here at the moment everyone is having a closing date for example all interested parties need to put in a silent bid by 12 noon on a certain day, this is great for the seller but in my experience of friends purchasing people lose interest because they could be outbid, so we are playing the trump card by saying we are not in a rush and people can look round for a second time and bring other people with them if they want a look round. This seems to win them over.

This is the most stressful part of the process as you just cannot tell who likes it and who doesn't, the people who put the offer in did love it but went round very quickly and and we thought had just come for a nosey, we had been warned previously by friends that never to believe the anyone and only believe when an offer is on the table. Which up here is legally binding if accepted.

Again I wish you all the best of luck with the sale of your houses. I shall be dishing out the valium later

Old Aug 8th 2003, 10:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck with your weekend viewings Whisky - we're both keeping our fingers crossed for you. We've said viewings to start again from Wed - it's just too hot here right now to clean the house!

Karen - congrats on the good survey. Do you think they train surveyors to look stern and worried just to alarm you? The last surveyor looked serious for an hour then said it's a great house and the buyers are getting a bargain.
Old Aug 9th 2003, 4:34 am
BE Enthusiast

karenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to all

Karen - congrats on the good survey. Do you think they train surveyors to look stern and worried just to alarm you? The last surveyor looked serious for an hour then said it's a great house and the buyers are getting a bargain. [/QUOTE]

definitely, jolyn! never cracked his face and even refused a drink!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.