Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Houses and depression

Wikiposts

Houses and depression

Old Aug 7th 2003, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget to let us know how it all goes.

Whisky
Old Aug 7th 2003, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

booboo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

selling sucks, that,s for sure. A veiwer we had said he,d already seen 19 4 bed detached houses and can,t remember what he has seen.
The 4 beds around in mk are quite stagnant. Some people are dropping their prices so low and are still not able to shift the property. I just keep saying it will happen, it will happen but there is so much competition . The 2 and 3 beds are going pretty quick. Ive been convincing hubby for 14 years to move to Aus and now he has said yes the blinking houses selling is now holding me up.

BooBoo (fed up)
Old Aug 7th 2003, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Much the same around here. Everyone seems to be selling up and cashing in on heir equity by moving further out of London or abroad!
Tpo end of the market here is asleep and with 4 similar houses for sale down one road it is anyones guess how long they will take to sell.

I am so desperate I have just been outside in the dark and have hammered the 'for sale' board into the ground. We decided not to have one, but have finally relented. I didn't want people from my work-which is just down the road- asking questions.

My neighbours probably think I am potty now! Probably glad that I am leaving.
Old Aug 7th 2003, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

Reading this brings back unhappy memories. We were in the same position, had the visas but couldn't sell the house. It took about 9 months in the end, with two sales falling through, definetly the worst part of the emigration process.
We kept telling ourselves it would happen eventually but we did begin to give up hope and in the end dropped our price by about 7 thousand pounds (felt bad at the time but was worth it!).

BUT it DID happen eventually. We had flights booked to validate our visas and had a mad panic at the end, exchanged contracts just before we left and completed once we were here.

It is worth it and it will happen eventually, hang on in there and good luck to all of you trying to sell

Loopy

(Booboo, we were in Aylesbury so not too far away!)
Old Aug 7th 2003, 5:28 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Houses and depression

Originally posted by tinaj
I can't believe how many awful posts there are on here about house selling. I am feeling really down thinking about everyone who is trying to sell their house and the hassles they are getting. You would think it would be an easy thing to do.

Maybe we should send all these email to Tony Blair so they are prompted to bring the situation back into the limelight again. The system in England needs changing- fast.

I hope it all improves soon for all of my fellow house sellers. Lets bet on a fast going Autumn.
Immo's who have no idea how to sell a house should do well here , why do I get the feeling this country is letting in the worst kind of refugee.

Old Aug 7th 2003, 6:52 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by pommie bastard
why do I get the feeling this country is letting in the worst kind of refugee.

Perhaps you read your own posts too often.
Old Aug 7th 2003, 6:57 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Megalania
Perhaps you read your own posts too often.
Case proved I got in far too easy so the door is open for all.

:scared:
Old Aug 7th 2003, 7:08 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Case proved I got in far too easy so the door is open for all.

:scared:
Close it behind you on your way out.
Old Aug 7th 2003, 7:11 pm
Banned

Close it behind you on your way out.
Looking at the dross coming though it I would complain to little Johnny , no country should have to import rubbish when it so much of its own.

Old Aug 7th 2003, 7:16 pm
Banned

no country should have to import rubbish when it so much of its own.

You concern for the litter problem in the UK is touching. Just threatening then?
Old Aug 7th 2003, 7:18 pm
Banned

You concern for the litter problem in the UK is touching. Just threatening then?
Would it be better to have illegal refugees than the legal ones ?

Old Aug 7th 2003, 7:22 pm
Banned

You are illegal or illegitimate or both?
Old Aug 7th 2003, 7:23 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry gone dim...can use it in a sentence?
Old Aug 7th 2003, 11:10 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by whisky
Well Porkchop, can you explain to the rest of us, why we hardly get anyone coming to look at the homes that are on the market, and then when we do get buyers, the whole thing seems to go hay wire? Theres no point coming up with your statistics, unless you can sell my house, and I can be in Oz in 6 weeks time.
Look forward to your reply!!!!!!

Whisky

Whisky,

I'll have a go at replying to this..I like a challenge.

Maybe your house is overpriced.
Maybe it is not what people want.
Maybe it is not presented well enough.

Am I being harsh??

There are many reasons why houses don't sell quickly. In the market we are in at the moment, you cannot get away with what they have in the past few years (with the rising market). People are looking to pay a fair price, and it is a buyers market at the moment.

That said, many sellers on this site have sold their house in a short period for close to the asking price. My wife and I are in this category. We are lucky in that we have a very in demand location, and we also spent a long time getting the house ready for sale and determining what was a fair asking price.

Hope I don't come acroiss as smug and unhelpful, but a reality check might be useful here. You cannot change the house selling process in the next 6 weeks, nor can you change general buyers behaviour.

But you can a) look at the price, and b) look at whether the house could be presented differently. I always watch the House Doctor and other programmes of that nature, and you can always make a house more sellable (no matter that it might not be what you personally would want to live in).

All the best - I hope something happens for you soon!
Old Aug 8th 2003, 2:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point

We did everything possible to get our house ready for sale. Spent £4K on repainting, new accessories and curtains, etc. Lots of viewings, most of whom loved it but only one offer after 3 weeks (long time for London) - £20K below asking price. Plenty of houses in our suburb have been on the market for 6 months or more with no offers so we were lucky to get that. That's after dropping the price 10% below last summer's selling prices. Many buyers are waiting around to see if prices drop further it seems.

Have now waited 3 months to get the sale through with chain. Area is too pricey these days to expect first time buyers for a 4 bed 3 storey house.

We've put the house back on the market today! Just had the handyman round to fix the few things toddler has trashed since his last month long stint of repainting etc in April. Hopefully a wonderful new buyer will arrive or our old one will get a move on.

It's my birthday and I'm fed up. Never want to buy or sell a house in the UK again. I don't care if in Oz buyers can pull out after 7 days - it's 3 months I can't stand. And no more sodding chains...

Enough moaning - we'll get there soon and best wishes to all of you to get there too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.