Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

household appliances e.t.c

household appliances e.t.c

Old Jul 14th 2005, 8:28 pm
jocky boy 'JOHN' DOC'

jocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant future
Default household appliances e.t.c

can anyone tell about taking my fridge freezer over.
i was told on a different site that i could not becauase of the gases that are on the back of the freezer.

is the voltage requirements different in aussy compared to ours. also what about the wall sockets is and plug fixtures, i am just wondering incase i need to change my appliance's fixtures in any way.
if there is anything else hope you can help.
thanks
john..
Old Jul 15th 2005, 12:25 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: household appliances e.t.c

All the plugs will need to be changed on your appliances, as we have a different wall socket type here.

Bring a number of 4 or 6 gang extentions with you to help in the beginning, so you can just change the one plug, until you get around to the rest.
(Have a count up of how many plugged appliances you have )

The voltage is the same though.

Old Jul 15th 2005, 3:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

we brought our fridge freezer with us and it is still going strong- the only problem is that it is way too small for life here.
We had to buy a big fridge freezer to go with it, and UK one is downgraded to beer fridge!

All other UK appliances except TV and video are fine. (TV - you get sound or vision only.)
Old Jul 15th 2005, 8:39 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jocky boy
i was told on a different site that i could not becauase of the gases that are on the back of the freezer.

is the voltage requirements different in aussy compared to ours. also what about the wall sockets is and plug fixtures, i am just wondering incase i need to change my appliance's fixtures in any way.
thanks
john..
We have had shippers around to quote this week and they told us you can't take anything with CFC's or HFC's in. You may need to prove that. Our fridge is 3 years old and okay.

TOP TIP: I e-mailed Hotpoint to get a statement from them about what coolants and other chemicals it contains.

As other said though, it won't be big enough for Australian life but it will make an excellent beer fridge in the garage

Another thing to consider is whether it is up to the job. With hotter temperatures in Aus it will need to work harder to keep the contents cool. I turned ours up at the start of this hot spell and some stuff actually froze so I think it will be okay for keeping my beer cold.
Old Jul 15th 2005, 6:19 pm
jocky boy 'JOHN' DOC'

jocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant future

thanks a bunch guys's appreciate it loads .
could you please tell me about televisions, i was told that you have to change parts of the mechanics on the inside of the tv. if there is anything else like like that like my computer god i would die without it.
Old Jul 15th 2005, 6:38 pm
Bring me SUNSHINE!

emmieshaw19 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jocky boy

thanks
john..
Hi, Is it worth shipping household appliances over or to sell the lot and buy new when you get there? As with everything i.e: settee, beds, dining table and chairs etc. I know you will have to ship some things with you but I have been told it's really not worth it, so I really don't know what to do. I have also been told that electrical appliances are expensive in Australia compared to the UK does anyone know if this is true please?
Old Jul 15th 2005, 7:40 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emmieshaw19
Hi, Is it worth shipping household appliances over or to sell the lot
IMO it is best to ship the lot - look around at all your pocessions, think what someone would pay for them, especially if you were in a hurry to off load them. Then look at the same items and think how much it would cost to replace them (just use UK prices for simplicity). For us the difference to replace less proceeds would be a lot more than the cost to ship the items over. Plus saves the hassle of trying to find stores to replace items from cultery to TV (can you guess I am about to have a TV dinner? ) in a new place when you have housing, jobs schools etc to sort out and I'm sure familiar thing will help a place feel like your home much quicker.
Old Jul 15th 2005, 10:26 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

You will certainly get pictures.

In some Tv's you have a option in the settings for PAL I/B/G if you see that then the sound will work too. It'll be on the tuning menu or individual channel station tuning menu an I or a B or a G

If they dont work wiht sound you buy a cheap VCR or DVD player or a Set-Top Box to act as a tuner and use a rgb or scart cable to connect dvd thingy to the TV and you'll be fine. cables usually come free with dvd's or vcrs and they start at 39$ (!).

Search on the search forum button up top and you'll see about 1,036,245 answers to this ;-), including details of what megahflups poppadoodles and gigawurtz the sound is broadcast on .

cheers.
Old Jul 16th 2005, 5:57 am
Gone surfin'

Soi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Pomster
we brought our fridge freezer with us and it is still going strong- the only problem is that it is way too small for life here.
We had to buy a big fridge freezer to go with it, and UK one is downgraded to beer fridge!
See, you're becoming an Aussie already A beer fridge is something to be proud of
Old Jul 16th 2005, 7:53 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spalen
In some Tv's you have a option in the settings for PAL I/B/G if you see that then the sound will work too. It'll be on the tuning menu or individual channel station tuning menu an I or a B or a G
cheers.
I sent another email, this time to Sharp abour my TV. They said it was not possible to change this configuration using the set up options etc. They also droned on about not tampering with it / invalidating the warranty etc but reading between the lines it is possible to get someone in Australia to adapt your TV to Aussie sound standards as others have said on here in the past.

Anyone know how much?
Old Jul 16th 2005, 8:49 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
I sent another email, this time to Sharp abour my TV. They said it was not possible to change this configuration using the set up options etc. They also droned on about not tampering with it / invalidating the warranty etc but reading between the lines it is possible to get someone in Australia to adapt your TV to Aussie sound standards as others have said on here in the past.

Anyone know how much?
Someone said tehy paid $250 !?

VCR's are like 39$
Old Jul 16th 2005, 10:45 am
Gone surfin'

Soi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by worzel

Anyone know how much?
IMHO not worth the effort, unless you have an LCD or Plasma screen. Conventional CRT TVs can be found very cheaply in Oz.
Old Jul 16th 2005, 12:24 pm
ah-beng

Originally Posted by Soi Oz
IMHO not worth the effort, unless you have an LCD or Plasma screen. Conventional CRT TVs can be found very cheaply in Oz.
For sure - like 299$ for a 28" widescreen from k-mart.

But bring it - its no more expensive in the container, probably worth only a few quid in UK and you can put it in one of the many spare rooms/bedrooms in your new aussie mansion.
Old Jul 16th 2005, 12:47 pm
Back in Uk and loving it

Emzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by emmieshaw19
Hi, Is it worth shipping household appliances over or to sell the lot and buy new when you get there? As with everything i.e: settee, beds, dining table and chairs etc. I know you will have to ship some things with you but I have been told it's really not worth it, so I really don't know what to do. I have also been told that electrical appliances are expensive in Australia compared to the UK does anyone know if this is true please?
From my experience i would recommend you to bring as much as you can. We bought essential pieces of furniture ie- sofa, bed, TV, computer, DVD player and a limited amount of kitchen equipment. We did not bring any appliances, but i would love to have a front loading washing machine right now, as our god forsaken second hand top loader that ruined half our clothes and didn't clean properly has broken down for the 2nd time :scared: . Initially we thought everything was cheaper over here, but when you start earning earning aussie dollars you soon change your mind. Also as the houses are bigger over here you will find you need more furniture than before (hence we are living in a half empty house ), so i think unless you are coming over with loads of $$$ you will be grateful for everything you send. Thats my opinion anyway
Old Jul 16th 2005, 1:00 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Soi Oz
See, you're becoming an Aussie already A beer fridge is something to be proud of
Mine pommy one is in my outdoor entertaiments area and holding up very well

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.