Houseboats?

Old Aug 22nd 2005, 12:13 pm
Just Joined

Bugger is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Houseboats?

Hi guys,
I like the idea of living in a boat so I was wondering, are there Australians that actualy live on boats in marina's or is that more of an American TV thing over there?
Thanks for any help
Dave
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 12:16 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Houseboats?

Originally Posted by Bugger
Hi guys,
I like the idea of living in a boat so I was wondering, are there Australians that actualy live on boats in marina's or is that more of an American TV thing over there?
Thanks for any help
Dave
It would appear so - these arent like the ones I remember in the dock outside my flat in london tho !.

http://www.anchoragehouseboatsales.com.au/

A quick google.com.au for houseboats for sale found lots of similar hits. These are more like mini cruise liners!.
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 12:28 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys,
Thanks for any help
Dave
Sure do

Do a search on Hope Island Gold Coast.
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 12:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Flutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud of

I have always fancied living on a houseboat like the ones at Cheney Walk in London.
As yet, havent found anything online for Sydney (or anywhere else) apart from holiday lets.
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 12:36 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flutterscutter
I have always fancied living on a houseboat like the ones at Cheney Walk in London.
As yet, havent found anything online for Sydney (or anywhere else) apart from holiday lets.
Arent' the cheney walk boats mostly converted coal-barges , thats what makes them that unique shape. Might be hard to get something similar here - take a look at that website the boats there look like something out of blakes seven.
Those london houseboats are huge underneath I couldnt believe it when I saw inside one. But when you think they can have 2 containers stacked on top of each other and only half the top one is visible it makes you realise how deep they are.
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Flutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by spalen
Arent' the cheney walk boats mostly converted coal-barges , thats what makes them that unique shape. Might be hard to get something similar here - take a look at that website the boats there look like something out of blakes seven.
Those london houseboats are huge underneath I couldnt believe it when I saw inside one. But when you think they can have 2 containers stacked on top of each other and only half the top one is visible it makes you realise how deep they are.
Yes they are mostly old barges. Lucky you to get a look inside!!
I doubt very much you'd find anything like them down here, but i am more in love with the concept of just living on a boat. Wouldnt mind if they didnt look like the barges. Never heard of permament type moorings in Aus. Not near Sydney anyway.
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flutterscutter
There used to be four permanent houseboats at Pearl Beach (near Spit Bridge) - the last four in Sydney to have houseboat licences (they don't get issued any more). Think a couple of them might have burnt down - not sure how many there are now.

John Singleton used to own one of them and the guy who started greengrocer.com used to own another. Worth a fortune, they are..
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 12:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nickyc
There used to be four permanent houseboats at Pearl Beach (near Spit Bridge) - the last four in Sydney to have houseboat licences (they don't get issued any more). Think a couple of them might have burnt down - not sure how many there are now.

John Singleton used to own one of them and the guy who started greengrocer.com used to own another. Worth a fortune, they are..
Thanks for that nicky. Ahh well, i dont have a fortune so wont be buying!
You'd think with the amount of water in and around Sydney, it would be quite popular.
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 1:31 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys,
Thanks for any help
Dave
It can be a very cheap way to live if you can manage the equivalent of living in a cramped floating caravan. We lived on a boat at Tin Can Bay for 7 months when we first arrived. The first few weeks were idyllic, wake up jump overboard for a pre breckie swim, sitting on the jetty fishing and drinking stubbies, watching the Sea Eagles and Kites not to mention swimming with the dolphins. After a few months it became a real headache very little space and everyone living in each others pockets. 40+ days and nights in the 30's, no air con and no space or sufficient amps to run more than a small fan.
In short, excellent for an extended holiday or for a childless couple, not a long term option for 4 adults and 2 teenage children.
We've loads of friends who live on their boats permanently most are mature couples with kids who have left home. Good thing is if you get fed up of the scenery you just move on.
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 10:10 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
It can be a very cheap way to live if you can manage the equivalent of living in a cramped floating caravan. We lived on a boat at Tin Can Bay for 7 months when we first arrived. The first few weeks were idyllic, wake up jump overboard for a pre breckie swim, sitting on the jetty fishing and drinking stubbies, watching the Sea Eagles and Kites not to mention swimming with the dolphins. After a few months it became a real headache very little space and everyone living in each others pockets. 40+ days and nights in the 30's, no air con and no space or sufficient amps to run more than a small fan.
In short, excellent for an extended holiday or for a childless couple, not a long term option for 4 adults and 2 teenage children.
We've loads of friends who live on their boats permanently most are mature couples with kids who have left home. Good thing is if you get fed up of the scenery you just move on.
Would agree with that, great if you are a couple & the boat is big enough (dont underestimate how much space you need!) but hopeless if there are more than 2 of you.

They arent the sort of thing you will find for rent, you would need to buy your own & moor it somewhere Flutter.

Most marinas up here in Qld have plenty of permanent moorings.
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 10:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Good morning Mrs D.

Yes, i doubt i would want to live on one with kids in tow, but as theres only me and Mr Flutter, i reckon it would work (although he IS a hoarder )
I'm just dreaming really.