Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

House up for sale!!(advice?)

House up for sale!!(advice?)

Old Jul 16th 2004, 8:57 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute
Default House up for sale!!(advice?)

Well decided to bite the bullet!,our house goes up for sale first week in August.
Hubby & i are pure sh!ttin ourselves i dont mind tellin you all!!
More to do with the small fact we dont have our visas yet & feel we are taking a gamble,our house is our only investment-our only ticket to Oz,the money made from the house sale is all we have to start our new life.
The house has also been quite an issue with mum & Dad (hubbys)they want us to let it out so we have a saftey net if we ever decided to come back home.We have still to tell them its up for sale in two weeks time as we know its going to cause us more grief!We both know they mean well but wont LISTEN??!to our point of view!!
At the moment we feel as if we,re just waitin on the next hiccup to stand in our way.
We have made our decision purely on the fact our agent has told us we could expect our visas roughly end of October?
But leaving the house sale untill October,theres probably no way things would be finalised to allow us to get to Oz before Xmas.
Is this a silly thing to do?
Are we risking too much on the agents say so?
Help us out Guys?
Madsads.
Old Jul 16th 2004, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya madsad,

have you sent off your meds etc, I guess if theres no probs there then it'll be pretty straightforward.

We sold ours before the visas came through, but we were willing to take the risk and if the gamble didn't work out then we'd have just bought another house. it's a bit testing on the nerves until the visas are granted, but it takes a hell of a lot of the pressure off when you know that you can book your flights for when YOU want to go and not based upon when the house might sell.

Like you, we needed ( and wanted ) to take the proceeds from the house sale with us, didn't want the feeling of a 'safetynet'.

Good luck and best wishes,
Old Jul 16th 2004, 9:04 pm

nikkers will become famous soon enoughnikkers will become famous soon enough

We are doing exactly the same

We will put our house on the market next Friday after we have done some last minute decluttering!

We hope to go Jan next year

So fingers crossed for you and us and everyone else trying to sell in this current market!

Nikki x
Old Jul 16th 2004, 9:07 pm
Just Joined

DBASS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: House up for sale!!(advice?)

Originally posted by madsad
Well decided to bite the bullet!,our house goes up for sale first week in August.
Hubby & i are pure sh!ttin ourselves i dont mind tellin you all!!
More to do with the small fact we dont have our visas yet & feel we are taking a gamble,our house is our only investment-our only ticket to Oz,the money made from the house sale is all we have to start our new life.
The house has also been quite an issue with mum & Dad (hubbys)they want us to let it out so we have a saftey net if we ever decided to come back home.We have still to tell them its up for sale in two weeks time as we know its going to cause us more grief!We both know they mean well but wont LISTEN??!to our point of view!!
At the moment we feel as if we,re just waitin on the next hiccup to stand in our way.
We have made our decision purely on the fact our agent has told us we could expect our visas roughly end of October?
But leaving the house sale untill October,theres probably no way things would be finalised to allow us to get to Oz before Xmas.
Is this a silly thing to do?
Are we risking too much on the agents say so?
Help us out Guys?
Madsads.
Hi there madsad i dont think your bonkers - what you are going through is all part of the adventure. we havnt even lodged our applicaation but we have put lots of things in motion. as far as you parents (hubbys) are concerned they will want to know that you would not be stuck there if it didnt work out - but they will also not have the b*lls you do to embark on such an adventure/
listen to your heart and not your head for a while - and remember the folks who have done this years ago with no assurances whatsoever
Old Jul 16th 2004, 9:12 pm
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

Madsads.
You'll be blo*dy lucky to get your house sold, done and dusted by October the way the housing market's going!!! Get it on the market NOW!!!!

.....my house has been on the market since January with only 3 viewings and 1 pathetic taking the p*ss offer
Old Jul 16th 2004, 9:14 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by nikkers
We are doing exactly the same

We will put our house on the market next Friday after we have done some last minute decluttering!

We hope to go Jan next year

So fingers crossed for you and us and everyone else trying to sell in this current market!

Nikki x
I know what u mean, Ive been de-cluttering since begining of this year & its still pilling up!
Made a decision to do one room at a time,de-clutter & clean from top to bottom,Started today & boy i thought i kept a clean house,i thought my bedroom was the easiest place to start!it took the full day & i can hold my hand up & say im ashamed at the amount of dust etc i found!!
Im dreading the kids rooms next!!
Donna.
Old Jul 16th 2004, 9:19 pm
4-1,4-1 i love it,love it

Arron is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Madsad,
To be honest ,i wish i'd have put our house up for sale earlier
before the visa's arrived.
We find ourselves in limboland now, with visa's in hand, bank account sorted, shippers sorted and flights booked, just waiting for the sale going through.
We booked flights for end of December to give us plenty of time to sell up, but the way things are going it looks like we'll have to hang around here till then.

Arron.
Old Jul 16th 2004, 9:20 pm

Originally posted by DBASS
Hi there madsad i dont think your bonkers - what you are going through is all part of the adventure. we havnt even lodged our applicaation but we have put lots of things in motion. as far as you parents (hubbys) are concerned they will want to know that you would not be stuck there if it didnt work out - but they will also not have the b*lls you do to embark on such an adventure/
listen to your heart and not your head for a while - and remember the folks who have done this years ago with no assurances whatsoever
The strange thing is hubbys parents did move to Dubai for 18yrs when hubby was only 4yrs,they were the same age as us when they done it,so you would think they would be more understanding?-Parents eh!
Donna.
Old Jul 16th 2004, 9:27 pm

Originally posted by steandleigh
Hiya madsad,

have you sent off your meds etc, I guess if theres no probs there then it'll be pretty straightforward.

We sold ours before the visas came through, but we were willing to take the risk and if the gamble didn't work out then we'd have just bought another house. it's a bit testing on the nerves until the visas are granted, but it takes a hell of a lot of the pressure off when you know that you can book your flights for when YOU want to go and not based upon when the house might sell.

Like you, we needed ( and wanted ) to take the proceeds from the house sale with us, didn't want the feeling of a 'safetynet'.

Good luck and best wishes,
We front loaded our meds last month,will arive in Adelaide for wed.
It just feels such a risk!but does feel it the right thing to do at the moment.
Thanx
Donna.
Donna.
Old Jul 16th 2004, 9:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

steve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to all

Donna

Sell, sell, sell

You can always buy another house, you don't know how long it will take. We have our visas and are still renovating our house to sell. Our one way tickets are booked for the 20th June next year. Hope its all done by then!!!!!!!!! With regard to parents, stressy for you but just remember its your life, you only live it once and don't give in to the emotional blackmail.

I was treated to stony silence this morning when I told the in-laws we had booked the flights.

So........... you're definately going then????

No we just spent the last 2 years going through hell for nothing!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep focused.

Jo
Old Jul 16th 2004, 9:59 pm

Originally posted by steve-n-jo
Donna

Sell, sell, sell

You can always buy another house, you don't know how long it will take. We have our visas and are still renovating our house to sell. Our one way tickets are booked for the 20th June next year. Hope its all done by then!!!!!!!!! With regard to parents, stressy for you but just remember its your life, you only live it once and don't give in to the emotional blackmail.

I was treated to stony silence this morning when I told the in-laws we had booked the flights.

So........... you're definately going then????

No we just spent the last 2 years going through hell for nothing!!!!!!!!!!!
Thankyou so much for your reply,
nice to know im not the only one with awkward inlaws!
Thanx,
Donna.
Keep focused.

Jo
Old Jul 16th 2004, 10:02 pm

Done that wrong! sorry!
Thanx so much for your reply,nice to know im not the only one with awkward inlaws!
Donna.
Old Jul 16th 2004, 10:18 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

We have EXACTLY the same dilemma, well I do. My interferring FIL has put it in to my hubby's head that we must not sell our home, but rent it. He says we will be fine to go out with 10k...whatever...what does he know. There is no way Im relocating to the other side of the world with just 10K! That wont even buy a new car! IN LAWS or should I say OUTLAWS gggrrrr Im taking them blindfolded to Beachy Head tomorrow for a number of reasons.
Old Jul 16th 2004, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

Nige37 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Donna, wer'e in the same boat. No Visas yet and we decided tae put the house on the market last week. Couple came for a look yisterday, coming back the morra and we are yes "pure shitting ourself" incase we sell afore the visas are granted.

Where in Scotland are you ? I'm originally from just outside Glasgow.

Helen
Old Jul 16th 2004, 11:06 pm

Originally posted by lucyb

We have EXACTLY the same dilemma, well I do. My interferring FIL has put it in to my hubby's head that we must not sell our home, but rent it. He says we will be fine to go out with 10k...whatever...what does he know. There is no way Im relocating to the other side of the world with just 10K! That wont even buy a new car! IN LAWS or should I say OUTLAWS gggrrrr Im taking them blindfolded to Beachy Head tomorrow for a number of reasons.
Lucy,
Your hubby should be acting on his own instincts for the sake of you & any family you may have.
This is your future & yes i will respect my familys opinions but i would freak if hubby was persuaded by his familys opinions or what they think is best.
At the end of the day ,yes they can (maybe)turn round & say "i told you so" but you have to find out for yourself?
My inlaws have went so over the top at times its unreal! but weve known all along they are going to miss thier grandkids so much, its destroying them knowing its becoming a reality,before they admited this we darent open our mouths about anything to do with us emigrating,even now its a touchy subject,telling them of the house sale is gut renching,not knowing if an argument will erupt or silient treatment left to simmer!
Hubby is very close to his mum, & i must say he has surprised me as i thought at some points he may have went more in his familys favour, but hes stood up for what he thinks is best for us, as a family.& yes i do sometimes feel guilty,i do have a family but havent spoken for a few years now(another story!)
Hubbys family are all the family i have,i am reasured by the fact i havent pushed my hubby into anything he wasnt prepared to do,u both must want it as much as each other.
"You go for it girl"!!
Make the most of what you have in this world.
You wouldnt come back to Britain pennyless,you would work all the harder to make a new start back here if it didnt work out over there?
Donna.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.