Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

House sold ! What shall I do with my equity tho ?

House sold ! What shall I do with my equity tho ?

Old Oct 27th 2003, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

sydneybound is an unknown quantity at this point
Default House sold ! What shall I do with my equity tho ?

Well, It hasn't actually COMPLETED yet, but I've had a great offer that I've accepted, theres no chain, the buyer is v v keen to get in ASAP, and the solicitors are talking.... fingers crossed huh !

My question now is what to do with the equity ? I have a additional flat which I can pay off the mortgage on by slapping my house sale equity across, but, what with the current drop in rental income that is affecting the area I live in, a part of me wants to just sell up everything, and 'go liquid' and then plop it all in either a UK or Oz high interest savings account, stock etc..

Theres no way I'm buying in Sydney, too expensive for my liking at the mo.

so, do I;

a) pay off mortgage on flat, rent it out, then enjoy spending the rental income in Oz.

b) liquidize all my assets, slap cash into high interest accounts, get an IFA to manage a portfolio (STILL BEING RUN IN THE UK THO) etc.. etc.. then POUNCE when Sydney property is sensible again.

c) do the same as above, but run the investments from Oz, I notice that interest rates seem to be better in Oz, I guess tax is worse tho huh ? oh yeah, and the exchange rate seems a bit crap at the mo.

d) something else all together....

Any help appreciated !!

Rob
Old Oct 27th 2003, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

If I was you I would contact Alan Collett You may be liable to pay tax in Oz on any rental income.
Old Oct 27th 2003, 5:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

arlene is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: House sold ! What shall I do with my equity tho ?

My question now is what to do with the equity ?

donations greatly recieved

arlene
Old Oct 27th 2003, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you can service mortgage on flat with rental and have some left over I would keep flat and have cash available. Two reasons, one you keep a footing on UK market, rental will pay your mortgage, and the extra is x 2.4 (or whatever) second it keeps your cash free in case you decide to buy in Oz.

Depends how big your mortgage is and how much spare wonga you have. Could be worth reducing your mortgage and getting a good deal maybe fixed rate.

We sold up bought a rental property have an income from that put rest in UK high interest account and moved a limited amount to Oz for us to live on. The plan being !! if we liked it here and found we could make it work we had money avialable for a deposit, if it does not work out we go home still have a place to live and re-think our options.

Guess its all down to individual choice and how much cash you have to play with, we have knowhere near what some are quoting on this forum so chose to minimise risk. Eggs and baskets and all that mlarky.
Old Oct 27th 2003, 7:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

etlniwd is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd go for option d)

Originally posted by sydneybound
Well, It hasn't actually COMPLETED yet, but I've had a great offer that I've accepted, theres no chain, the buyer is v v keen to get in ASAP, and the solicitors are talking.... fingers crossed huh !

My question now is what to do with the equity ? I have a additional flat which I can pay off the mortgage on by slapping my house sale equity across, but, what with the current drop in rental income that is affecting the area I live in, a part of me wants to just sell up everything, and 'go liquid' and then plop it all in either a UK or Oz high interest savings account, stock etc..

Theres no way I'm buying in Sydney, too expensive for my liking at the mo.

so, do I;

a) pay off mortgage on flat, rent it out, then enjoy spending the rental income in Oz.

b) liquidize all my assets, slap cash into high interest accounts, get an IFA to manage a portfolio (STILL BEING RUN IN THE UK THO) etc.. etc.. then POUNCE when Sydney property is sensible again.

c) do the same as above, but run the investments from Oz, I notice that interest rates seem to be better in Oz, I guess tax is worse tho huh ? oh yeah, and the exchange rate seems a bit crap at the mo.

d) something else all together....

Any help appreciated !!

Rob
Old Nov 2nd 2003, 2:15 am
Forum Regular

Ansy is an unknown quantity at this point

Give it to me....It appears that you are very comfortable. I COULD USE extra cash.....Anyway, jokes aside. Investing is always a great idea!!