Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

House Sold - Money Transfer

House Sold - Money Transfer

Old Nov 15th 2010, 2:18 am
Living on the Gold Coast

Spellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to behold
Default House Sold - Money Transfer

Hi all reading,

I know there is a lot of information about this on the site but it seems to be burried in pages of a thread so I am asking for specific info relating to my circumstances, hoping someone has had this experience.

My FIL died earlier this year, both my husband and I are executors. All the estate has been sorted, apart from the sale of his flat which has now sold to a cash buyer who wants to complete in four weeks.

My husband and I have no bank accounts in the UK and left about 6 years ago.

When everything is settled what will be the best way of getting our share of the estate monies to Aus, allowing for exchange rates, accounts, Australian taxes etc?

Any advice, comments or 'watch for warning' possiblities appreciated.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 2:22 am
BE Enthusiast

James516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud of
Default Re: House Sold - Money Transfer

In the short term the money will be held by your solicitor so no need to panic about getting an account within 4 weeks. Suggest you get an account with an international bank such as HSBC or Citi who should be able to open a sterling account for you.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 1:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

If you can open a Premier a/c with HSBC they will allow you to open a UK a/c from here too and allow you to transfer between accounts without charge.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 4:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Just ask the solicitor to wire the money to Australia?
Old Nov 15th 2010, 6:38 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Use ozforex to do it. The rate will be much better. The solicitor would just have to confirm receipt of the funds. You then book the rate at ozforex and get the solicitor to transfer the funds to them directly, they in turn transfer to your Australian account.

They will beat bank rates and also means you don't have to open bank accounts in the UK or sterling accounts here in Australia.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 10:29 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
Use ozforex to do it. The rate will be much better. The solicitor would just have to confirm receipt of the funds. You then book the rate at ozforex and get the solicitor to transfer the funds to them directly, they in turn transfer to your Australian account.

They will beat bank rates and also means you don't have to open bank accounts in the UK or sterling accounts here in Australia.
I second that - talk to OzForex.
Old Nov 26th 2010, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

bagspacked will become famous soon enoughbagspacked will become famous soon enough

Just for reference you can see sterling australian dollar exchange rate trend
below:
http://www.transfermate.com/en/excha...to=&p=3+months

Make sure whoever you use give you a good exchange rate, are regulated and have a good reputation.