Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

House sitting in Melbourne at xmas

House sitting in Melbourne at xmas

Old Oct 11th 2009, 7:32 am
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold
Default House sitting in Melbourne at xmas

We're heading back to the UK for 3 weeks over xmas and don't really want to leave our house empty for the whole time, or leave our cats alone for all that time (or pay the 'cat lady' to come round twice a day for all that time).

So does anyone know how you would go about finding a house sitter in Melbourne (Yarraville, about 7km to the west of the CBD) at that time. Or is anyone coming over on a reccie about that time and looking for a house sit themselves?

Any clever ideas much appreciated.
Old Oct 11th 2009, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: House sitting in Melbourne at xmas

Hi

You could always let your house as a short term let. Not sure of the implications regarding the red tape (and there is bound to be some as it's Australia !) but try Moving to Melbourne (I think the web add is movingtomelbourne.co.uk) as I think they could help you out - they are based in Mellie so you could give them a call.

Or there is a website Aussie House Sitters - I looked at them as someone suggested house sitting when we first arrived.

Shame you are not on our side of the bay as I'd love to look after your cats as I'm missing not having one around!

KK
Old Oct 11th 2009, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by koalakim
Hi

You could always let your house as a short term let. Not sure of the implications regarding the red tape (and there is bound to be some as it's Australia !) but try Moving to Melbourne (I think the web add is movingtomelbourne.co.uk) as I think they could help you out - they are based in Mellie so you could give them a call.

Or there is a website Aussie House Sitters - I looked at them as someone suggested house sitting when we first arrived.

Shame you are not on our side of the bay as I'd love to look after your cats as I'm missing not having one around!

KK
Thanks I'll look into that.

Did you leave your cats in the UK or are they still in quarantine? Ours came with us and I feel like we've put them through enough so really don't want to put them in a cattery.
Old Oct 11th 2009, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there

No, unfortunately our dear old boy went to kitty heaven two weeks before we left. He was 21 3/4 and not very well so we were going to have to do the inevitable just before we left but nature stepped in which was lucky as we were dreading it.

So have been kitty free for nearly 3 years now and it's not getting any better! Hopefully this time next year we'll be in our own place and can have another one.

Hope you manage to get your house rental sorted out!

KK
Old Oct 11th 2009, 11:23 pm
Forum Regular

Bonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really nice

Originally Posted by hereshoping
We're heading back to the UK for 3 weeks over xmas and don't really want to leave our house empty for the whole time, or leave our cats alone for all that time (or pay the 'cat lady' to come round twice a day for all that time).

So does anyone know how you would go about finding a house sitter in Melbourne (Yarraville, about 7km to the west of the CBD) at that time. Or is anyone coming over on a reccie about that time and looking for a house sit themselves?

Any clever ideas much appreciated.
Hi

We have had the same dilemma and have decided to use a house sitter through this website
http://www.aussiehousesitters.com.au/

It wouldn't have occurred to me to do this but we have rellies in NZ who use house sitters every time they go abroad.

I was a bit dubious about the whole idea at first at first but the chap we have booked has provided various references which have checked out. He has also offered to drive us to and from the airport

You will probably need to get your skates on though - the good sitters get booked out quite quickly apparently.

Hope this helps
Old Nov 1st 2009, 2:35 am
Just Joined

luge racer is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I have stumbled across this forum by mistake as I have just posted my availability for house sitting on the GUMTREE website. I was searching for the best house sitting resources for Melbourne and this forum message came up!

I realise you posted a while ago, so you may well have sorted something out by now, but if you are still working it out and looking for a house sitter I would be happy to send on some details and/or point you to my post on GUMTREE. At least, if my profile doesn't suit you you might find another that does!

Good luck,

Sara.