Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

House selling and last minute deals ?

House selling and last minute deals ?

Old Oct 15th 2003, 6:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold
Default House selling and last minute deals ?

Having never sold before I just cannot believe how slow and last minute everything is, I here talk of exchanging the day before you move in, solicitors taking a week to reply :scared: :scared:

Why is it the only service you are provided with that is the slowest yet most important thing in your life, the system needs a good shake up, it really does. I think people are really brave waiting to exchange and booking packers etc, I am a little wary about doing anything until I have signed on the dotted line :scared:

What are other people's view on this ?

Have you taken the risk and booked everyhtign before everyhtign went through ?
Old Oct 15th 2003, 7:08 am
A soft and furry member

Bluey is an unknown quantity at this point

I almost cried when reading your post, you're not the only one having problems. Our sale has been dragging on, and on, and on, and on, and whenever we ring we are given a different story by our solicitor, his secretary, and we have through our Estate agent had another version from our buyers solicitor and bloody hell, it's really f**king us off now (sorry for the expletives). We should, according to a letter from our solicitor last week, have exchanged on Monday and completed this Friday, but when Jaz rung yesterday, the exchange hasn't happened as suddenly there is a problem with our buyers money and our Solicitor has disappeared on holiday. On the strength of his letter, we booked our flights last Friday, had our shipping collected, our beds have gone to a Housing Charity, we had arranged alternative accomodation till we fly, and now the bloody thing has been delayed again.....

Hope the above makes some sense, but I dont think I can put into words how angry we are with the whole housebuying / selling system and the attitude of the legal bods involved. I'm sure Carriane, that you're probably feeling the same sense of frustration the whole thing causes.

(Currently very, very)Blue.
Old Oct 15th 2003, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

ayanem is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: House selling and last minute deals ?

Originally posted by Carrianne
Having never sold before I just cannot believe how slow and last minute everything is, I here talk of exchanging the day before you move in, solicitors taking a week to reply :scared: :scared:

Why is it the only service you are provided with that is the slowest yet most important thing in your life, the system needs a good shake up, it really does. I think people are really brave waiting to exchange and booking packers etc, I am a little wary about doing anything until I have signed on the dotted line :scared:

What are other people's view on this ?

Have you taken the risk and booked everyhtign before everyhtign went through ?
Imagine what it's like for us south of the border.
Old Oct 15th 2003, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

Ben.M is an unknown quantity at this point

Me too!

I sold my property really easily, before it even went on the market. The buyer is keen, I'm keen, my solicitor is ready to exchange but the buyers solicitor is dragging her feet and making a meal of it. She doesn't return calls to my solicitor, takes 2 weeks to do anything and is p*ssing me off big time. As it's a local company I've a good mind to turn up at her office and ask her to explain why it's taking so long!

The buyer and I agreed a completion date weeks ago but that has been and gone. I've already moved the shippers back 3 times and have to call them today to do it again!

Ben
Old Oct 15th 2003, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

I think they forget who is paying for this service here.

Has anyone on here had a sale go through, when it should ?
Old Oct 15th 2003, 12:03 pm
WBB

Originally posted by Carrianne
I think they forget who is paying for this service here.

Has anyone on here had a sale go through, when it should ?
my last house was sold and completed within 3 weeks, lets hope we are as lucky this time.

Old Oct 15th 2003, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

booboo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I wonder if sometimes a buyer will hold us to ransom at the last moment... and say I wanna offer less money, knowing you have booked flights and packers etc. Hubby and I will refuse it that happens to us as we will not allow anyone to treat us that way.

We havent booked anything yet until we can get a firm date nearer the time. It,s very difficult to tie everything together and is such a juggling act....... My hubby has been getting up at 4.30 - 5 am because his head is too full of things to do etc...

good luck everyone

booboo
Old Oct 15th 2003, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

carrianne

surely as you are dealing with the scottish system you shouldnt have a problem?

Lynn
Old Oct 15th 2003, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

booboo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have heard that the Scottish system is far quicker and more straight forward than it is here?

booboo
Old Oct 15th 2003, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

It always has been for us, none of this backing out business, once youve said how much and agreed a date for moving in thats, that.

Lynn
Old Oct 15th 2003, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Two months after selling we found mortgage payments still coming out of account, made some calls to find solicitor had not paid the £58k cheque to mortgage company. :scared: Makes you wonder what you pay for.
Old Oct 15th 2003, 2:37 pm
WBB

Originally posted by karawara88
Two months after selling we found mortgage payments still coming out of account, made some calls to find solicitor had not paid the £58k cheque to mortgage company. :scared: Makes you wonder what you pay for.
i would of "forgotten" to pay his fees and see how long before he is on the blower.

on the original subject of people trying to hold you to ransom knowing you have shipped your stuff and are emigrating to oz, we have been advised not to tell potential buyers we are emigrating, just to tell them we are moving to be closer parents or some other little white lie.

Old Oct 15th 2003, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Although there is no gazumping there is always and unconcluded agreement until we have exchanged where eaitehr party can pull out without penalty !! So until we have exchanged they can do what they like

Last edited by Carrianne; Oct 15th 2003 at 3:43 pm.
Old Oct 15th 2003, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

We are not confirming anything until the exchange has gone through. It is far too risky and imagine how you would feel if they suddenly back out. After reading all of the horror stories on here I am waiting until we are certain. Mind you I need it to happen within 2 weeks as we have to confirm the flights then.

Just keep hassling the agents/ buyers as much as you can. I have given them a date and will be giving them grief if they don't stick to it.
Old Oct 15th 2003, 5:24 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Buyers' spolicitors ??***@()!!

After having the details of the sale for over 6 weeks they now (one day before exchange - which is alw=ready 3 weeks late) want a Tree Presevation order paper which I will have to buy from Council and go and get in person and this cannot be done overnight What were they doing for the past 5 weeks?

The solicitors can't tell pink from yellow on plans and keep telling me that our garage is not where it actually is and it should not be where they think it is?????? HELP before I have a very nervous breakdown

AND have you noticed? they always want a INDEMNITY INSURANCE (which they can arrange at £xxxxx) to cover this problem quickly :scared: :scared: