Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

House sellers beware - keep that house on the market!

House sellers beware - keep that house on the market!

Old Nov 7th 2005, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down House sellers beware - keep that house on the market!

Our second lot of buyers have pulled out (after about 4 weeks or so). A few things did come up in the survey which were resolveable - but apparently they went off it Great system we have, isn't it.
All I can say to all of you with houses to sell - don't take it off the market if you have a potential buyer (unless you get a deposit).
We've now lost 4 weeks of marketing and fly out on 18 Jan
It's a pain in the bleedin' ass
Old Nov 7th 2005, 5:47 pm

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road
Default Re: House sellers beware - keep that house on the market!

Oh I'm really sorry to hear that. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you find another buyer, who sticks with it, before to can snap your fingers.

Don't what else to say really, other than sorry
Old Nov 7th 2005, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

woogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nice

God,what a nightmare
Will you still go if you don't get another buyer,or will you delay?
Old Nov 7th 2005, 7:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woogle
God,what a nightmare
Will you still go if you don't get another buyer,or will you delay?
We're not sure. We do have a couple of contacts who may buy it £15K below the lowest we wanted (they want to do a few things to the property and sell it on). However, £15K is a useful sum of money when emigrating! But, saying that, if we save on not having to do a validation trip (which we have to do before Feb 23) and no estate agents fees, that reduces to circa £8K. So, it's not the end of the world.
The other alternative is doing the work ourselves - but I think it's a bit of a gamble. The house itself isn't too bad - the main deterrent for people not buying our house is the steep terraced garden....
We don't want to rent it out cause of the possible hassle factor and hopefully we'll want to buy somewhere in OZ within the first year.
Old Nov 7th 2005, 7:53 pm
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by The Crow
Our second lot of buyers have pulled out (after about 4 weeks or so). A few things did come up in the survey which were resolveable - but apparently they went off it Great system we have, isn't it.
All I can say to all of you with houses to sell - don't take it off the market if you have a potential buyer (unless you get a deposit).
We've now lost 4 weeks of marketing and fly out on 18 Jan
It's a pain in the bleedin' ass
Can you do that? I've just had an offer which I accepted and I mentioned leaving it on the market to my agent and he said we couldn't ?????

Be good if we could cos we're on a tight schedule!!
Old Nov 7th 2005, 7:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

woogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nice

Hope you get it sorted.
I must say,there seems to be loads of people on the forum struggling to sell.I think if it were me,I'd go with the quickest option & cut my losses.
We have a buyer,just waiting for them to get the surveys done. We didn't have an estate agent,the girl is the cousin of someone hubby works with & they agreed to buy at the price hubby gave them,as we are selling it furnished. But if b/society value it lower,we will just accept what they come back with.
I'd be too worried about having to advertise & start over again with viewings.
Anyway,good luck with it all
Old Nov 7th 2005, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Welshie
Can you do that? I've just had an offer which I accepted and I mentioned leaving it on the market to my agent and he said we couldn't ?????

Be good if we could cos we're on a tight schedule!!
When we had the offer, our estate agents asked if we would take it off the market and as the 'buyers' seemed very keen we agreed. So, it seems we would have had the option. I suppose 'buyers' can insist, but to me it makes sense to have some reserves just in case (as so much can go wrong).
Old Nov 8th 2005, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

We keep finding buyers who seem to have problems getting a mortgage so now we have 2 buyers in a contract race (second survey done yesterday). The house is staying on the market until exchange and during this point anyone can join the race and its a fixed price first to exchange gets to buy the house. All viewers are informed of the situation prior to viewing.

Welshie, if you're in England and Wales (not sure about Scotland) then you can definately leave your house on the market until exchange. If your estate agent is saying you can't then I would tell them you will only take if off the market for a non-refundable deposit of £x,000 then it will be taken off and get someone to do a check and phone then up asking about properties in your range and check they receive your details.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

Ruthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of light

Absolutely keep your house on the market until exchange. Wish we had. Also investigate selling privately: we had more offers from a free webpage ad than from one of our agents! Good luck and dont worry about terraced garden. Someone will love it!
Old Nov 8th 2005, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Ruthyman
Absolutely keep your house on the market until exchange. Wish we had. Also investigate selling privately: we had more offers from a free webpage ad than from one of our agents! Good luck and dont worry about terraced garden. Someone will love it!
Hi - thanks for that. Can you tell me what webpage you used?
Cheers
Old Nov 8th 2005, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Britishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ruthyman
I would be interested in the answer to this too, we are thinking of selling privately next year and don't want to have to spend a fortune on self-marketing.