Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

House sale, has anybody had enough and just left

House sale, has anybody had enough and just left

Old Aug 17th 2005, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute
Default House sale, has anybody had enough and just left

Hi everyone

We have had our Visas since the end of April, our house has been on the market since the end of May. We have had a bit of interest, 9 viewings, plus another 5 that did not show up and before anyone asks it is not too dear if anything it may be a bit on the cheap side.
Anyway we are fed up waiting for the house to sell and we have decided that we will just pick a date in November and move then. Their is only the 2 of us, plus the dog and I have 2 Sisters and their families in Melbourne and we will live with one of them until we get settled. The reason for the post is that we will have to borrow some money from the In Laws until the house sells and we were wondering if anybody else had had enough and had done the same.

Any comments would be appreciated.

John & Julie
Old Aug 17th 2005, 10:58 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: House sale, has anybody had enough and just left

Originally Posted by jond
Anyway we are fed up waiting for the house to sell and we have decided that we will just pick a date in November and move then. Their is only the 2 of us, plus the dog and I have 2 Sisters and their families in Melbourne and we will live with one of them until we get settled. The reason for the post is that we will have to borrow some money from the In Laws until the house sells and we were wondering if anybody else had had enough and had done the same.

John & Julie

Have you thought about renting out the house?

Jeremy
Old Aug 18th 2005, 6:08 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Have you thought about renting out the house?

Jeremy
Hi we have thought about it but we live in a small village a little bit out of the way and property is a bit hard to let out. Apart from that we want to make a clean break from the UK.

John
Old Aug 18th 2005, 6:25 am
Forum Regular

Alan & Sonia has a spectacular aura aboutAlan & Sonia has a spectacular aura aboutAlan & Sonia has a spectacular aura about

Hi everyone

We have had our Visas since the end of April, our house has been on the market since the end of May. We have had a bit of interest, 9 viewings, plus another 5 that did not show up and before anyone asks it is not too dear if anything it may be a bit on the cheap side.

John & Julie
We were in exactly the same position, we have now rented it out and fly out on Sept 12th.........Yippeeee!!
Get a rental agent in if needs be and get a price from them, then lower it if needs be to make it attractive for potential renters against similar properties...just our thoughts...Good Luck
Old Aug 18th 2005, 6:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Alan & Sonia
We were in exactly the same position, we have now rented it out and fly out on Sept 12th.........Yippeeee!!
Get a rental agent in if needs be and get a price from them, then lower it if needs be to make it attractive for potential renters against similar properties...just our thoughts...Good Luck

Cheers thanks for your advice and good luck in September

John
Old Aug 18th 2005, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Aus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really nice

Hi everyone

John & Julie
We too are in the same position and have decided to go in September.

It is far from ideal leaving it to sell while we are over there but what can you do? Our house is also in a small village where renting can be a hit or a miss and knowing our luck if we got a tennant someone else would want to buy it and could not!!!

Most of our money is also tied up in the house, and we too will need to accept the financial help from our family!!!

Its a hard decision to make but we hope by going we have made the right one!!
Old Aug 19th 2005, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

teetoc is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi John & Julie

We (husband 2 year old son & moi) are here, in Perth. We got our visas in Feb, accepted offer on the house soon after, contemplated waiting until we had exchanged before booking flights & shippers then, just booked both anyway - shippers at the end of April and flights for 13th May. We were due to exchange at the end of May and complete sometime twards the end of July.
To cut a very long story short we got a call one Friday night from our estate agents to say the whole sale had fallen through, the first time buyer at the beginning of the chain had pulled out! And that was it, the house is back on the market, unfurnished and the market has apparently slowed down over there??

Just be careful when making your decision.

That said we have no regrets and are absolutley loving it here..... If any one knows anyone who wants to buy a house in a beautiful village in the Ribble Valley PM me....

GOOD LUCK

Sam
Old Aug 19th 2005, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

OOOIwannagosoon is an unknown quantity at this point

Our sales never fell thru but we have had gazumping.
Old Aug 19th 2005, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

Loubee is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm in the same situation - had a buyer for my house but he started messing about after agreeing to a quick completion date so I've had to put it back on the market. Move out tomorrow & fly to Melbourne on Monday ( :scared: & ). Hope it sells soon...

Loubee
Old Aug 20th 2005, 2:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

marysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nice

[Hiya we just made the decison to go and left the house unsold
its hard as we are paying the mortgage and the rent but I dont regret it yet
we have just knocked another £12,000 of the asking price (down £32,000) from the original now but its money we never had so I expect it will sell in the end for what its worth , its just as bad over here so we will just negotiate hard over here if we ever sell it
good luck what ever you decide
best wishes mary
Old Aug 20th 2005, 3:33 pm
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice

We were going to do what you are on about as I was getting impatient and wanted a date to work to...Just after I went ahead and booked the flights a buyer came along. Had I have known a week or too earlier I could have booked the flights for a sooner date...but its all come good in the end.moving out in ten days time..