Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

House sale going t1ts up?

House sale going t1ts up?

Old Aug 24th 2005, 12:34 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default House sale going t1ts up?

Remember the story? We had a letter from our solicitors 5 weeks ago to tell us that our buyer was no longer proceeding with the purchase when all she had done was change solicitor.

In the last week we have spoken to the solicitor and been told first that she was waiting for our buyer to do a survey on our house and later waiting for her mortgage to be in place both of which despite out buyer telling us she does not need a survey or a mortgage. Sam rang me this morning to tell me she had called them again and been fobbed off.

So I get on my high horse and call them asking to speak to the senior partner. He is very nice and goes off to investigate. He is telling me that our buyer's solicitors are not returning calls which could suggest they are trying to conceal a problem. We know our buyer is separated from her husband and he has cancer but is with a new partner. The first in the chain has already sold, has mortgage in place and living in rented accomodation so is ready to go.

But our buyer's solicitor is insisting a mortgage (whose?) is not yet in place. I have a horrible feeling that our buyer who seems very nice is spinning us along. Our solicitor says divorce often complicates these sales. Is he getting back at her for leaving him while he was ill? Maybe our buyer's husband is actually a 4th member of the chain (how many above him though?) and maybe he is he struggling to get a mortgage due to his illness?

There are now so many scenarios spinning around my head I am even getting into conspiracy theories that our horrible next door neighbour has set this all up to get at us.

Please let it be sorted!!! We were so close to being on that plane.
Old Aug 24th 2005, 12:43 pm
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: House sale going t1ts up?

Originally Posted by worzel
Remember the story? We had a letter from our solicitors 5 weeks ago to tell us that our buyer was no longer proceeding with the purchase when all she had done was change solicitor.

In the last week we have spoken to the solicitor and been told first that she was waiting for our buyer to do a survey on our house and later waiting for her mortgage to be in place both of which despite out buyer telling us she does not need a survey or a mortgage. Sam rang me this morning to tell me she had called them again and been fobbed off.

So I get on my high horse and call them asking to speak to the senior partner. He is very nice and goes off to investigate. He is telling me that our buyer's solicitors are not returning calls which could suggest they are trying to conceal a problem. We know our buyer is separated from her husband and he has cancer but is with a new partner. The first in the chain has already sold, has mortgage in place and living in rented accomodation so is ready to go.

But our buyer's solicitor is insisting a mortgage (whose?) is not yet in place. I have a horrible feeling that our buyer who seems very nice is spinning us along. Our solicitor says divorce often complicates these sales. Is he getting back at her for leaving him while he was ill? Maybe our buyer's husband is actually a 4th member of the chain (how many above him though?) and maybe he is he struggling to get a mortgage due to his illness?

There are now so many scenarios spinning around my head I am even getting into conspiracy theories that our horrible next door neighbour has set this all up to get at us.

solicitor is right mate, divorce settlements can take forever and if your buyer is relying on a chunk of the settlement to fund purchase then it could take a very long time indeed.

i have seen this happen sooooo many times. you need to keep on top of it and you could even think about putting house back on the market if they dont get their finger out soon.

this is a real bummer which i wouldnt wish on anyone (well, maybe one or two )

tell your estate agent you want chapter and verse of exactly what is going on
and if you dont get answers you need to put house back onthe market because you could be missing out on an alternative purchaser out there mate

thought - is he buying her out of the matrimonial home? if so, how is he funding that based on terminal illness? he may have some sort of insurance? you need some answers!!!!

Last edited by Rooksie; Aug 24th 2005 at 12:45 pm.
Old Aug 24th 2005, 12:57 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

I have to agree with Rooksie. The party who earns most and often appears to do least is the agent. THEY are your agent, tell them you want need and demand definitive answers, no shit.

We had same problem, then Debs unearthed a clause in LAW, that we could use arbritrarily against an agent for withholding information. Worked a TRICK
Old Aug 24th 2005, 1:01 pm
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

When we sold our house in Scotland to move down South, we had major problems (sale fell through on day of signing contracts - load of hassles) when we found another buyer she was keen to buy but had to wait on settlement from her ex hubby, in the end we got fed up of it dragging on and she rented the house from us whilst we moved down South. I suppose looking back it was a bit risky but luckily it worked for us, would this be a possible solution for you while it all gets sorted??
Old Aug 24th 2005, 1:17 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree, get your estate agent to find out exactly what's going on, then you can make firm decisions.

if it turns out there is some sort of problem I'd be tempted to say you want to exchange by a set date or that's it, you're back on the market.

fingers crossed it doesnt come to that though
Old Aug 24th 2005, 2:53 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rooksie
tell your estate agent you want chapter and verse of exactly what is going on
and if you dont get answers you need to put house back onthe market because you could be missing out on an alternative purchaser out there mate

thought - is he buying her out of the matrimonial home? if so, how is he funding that based on terminal illness? he may have some sort of insurance? you need some answers!!!!
You are right it is time for some straight talking. I am getting the senior partner to speak to her solicitors senior partner, trouble is the don't seem to want to return calls.

It now strikes me as odd that our estate agent seemed to "know" exactly what was going on but it now turns out to be incorrect. I think our buyer may have been pulling the wool over their eyes as they suspected a problem and didn't want us re-listing.

I don't want to put it back on the market as I am probably jobless in a week's time and we would have to do a validation trip etc but it might be a useful tactic to threaten. I will wait to see what the senior partner finds out.

I don't think he is buying the matrimonial home as the house we think is theirs has a sold board up. I am hoping he is just moving in with his girlfriend.
Old Aug 24th 2005, 2:55 pm
A former regular of BE

Originally Posted by bridiej
I agree, get your estate agent to find out exactly what's going on, then you can make firm decisions.

if it turns out there is some sort of problem I'd be tempted to say you want to exchange by a set date or that's it, you're back on the market.

fingers crossed it doesnt come to that though
I am starting to suspect there is some complicity between our estate agent and buyer. At the very least the buyer is feeding her the same line. Strange, our buyer didn't strike me as being clever enough to pull that sort of trick.
Old Aug 24th 2005, 2:57 pm
Account Closed

You are right it is time for some straight talking. I am getting the senior partner to speak to her solicitors senior partner, trouble is the don't seem to want to return calls.

It now strikes me as odd that our estate agent seemed to "know" exactly what was going on but it now turns out to be incorrect. I think our buyer may have been pulling the wool over their eyes as they suspected a problem and didn't want us re-listing.

I don't want to put it back on the market as I am probably jobless in a week's time and we would have to do a validation trip etc but it might be a useful tactic to threaten. I will wait to see what the senior partner finds out.

I don't think he is buying the matrimonial home as the house we think is theirs has a sold board up. I am hoping he is just moving in with his girlfriend.
if that is the case it certainly looks better because then the cash is being provided by an outside party. hopefully it is simply a case of it being protracted due to matrimionials. get in touch again with senior partner that normally does the trick and gets everyone rattled!! good luck matey.

its amazing how quickly things can turn around mate - all doom n gloom one minute and positive the next.
Old Aug 24th 2005, 2:59 pm
Account Closed

I am starting to suspect there is some complicity between our estate agent and buyer. At the very least the buyer is feeding her the same line. Strange, our buyer didn't strike me as being clever enough to pull that sort of trick.

shes a twitter and bisted soon to be exwife mate - dont underestimate her!!
Old Aug 24th 2005, 3:00 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rooksie
shes a twitter and bisted soon to be exwife mate - dont underestimate her!!

true...
Old Aug 24th 2005, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

Jim n Nic has a brilliant futureJim n Nic has a brilliant futureJim n Nic has a brilliant futureJim n Nic has a brilliant futureJim n Nic has a brilliant futureJim n Nic has a brilliant future

What I nightmare.....

Do try and get your solicitor to give you the full story, agents are only the middleman and their chain chasing is pitiful. Your solicitor should be fully up to date with who requires a mortgage and how far along it is.
Divorce settlements can take for ever, so it maybe worth suggesting to your agents about informing your buyers if you do not see any progression you will start to remarket the property, the truth will out then.
Legal chasing is my job, if I can help you any further please feel free to PM me and I'll run you through all the stages and how long everything should take.!!!

Nichola
Old Aug 24th 2005, 3:12 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Don't trust your estate agent! At this stage of the game, it's in their interest to keep things from you. Because if you decide to put the house back on the market, it won't be with them, will it?

I really hope, it sorts itself out. But, just in case you need "Plan B", have you thought about giving your solicitor "power of attorney"? That way, you can get off to Oz as planned, even if the house hasn't sold.

(I'm planning that for us, as I just can't believe I'd ever get the house sale/completion date co-ordinated with the packers and the flight date, and we don't have rellies we can stay with.)

Gina
Old Aug 24th 2005, 3:35 pm
A former regular of BE

As we speak Sam is calling the estate agent to "enquire" about putting our house back on the market, what rental values we could get etc and generally dropping major hints that we have sussed out that someone down the line isn't being honest.

I am sure the estate agent is on commission for the sale and she won't want to lose that. Also she seems TOO close to our buyer now I think about it so the plan is she rings the buyer and frightens her into unsticking it somehow.

PS She dumped him while he was suffering from cancer. So not only can she be ruthless I guess but if anyone is going to be twitter and bisted it is likely to be him. Wouldn't blame him either.
Old Aug 24th 2005, 3:38 pm
Account Closed

As we speak Sam is calling the estate agent to "enquire" about putting our house back on the market, what rental values we could get etc and generally dropping major hints that we have sussed out that someone down the line isn't being honest.

I am sure the estate agent is on commission for the sale and she won't want to lose that. Also she seems TOO close to our buyer now I think about it so the plan is she rings the buyer and frightens her into unsticking it somehow.

PS She dumped him while he was suffering from cancer. So not only can she be ruthless I guess but if anyone is going to be twitter and bisted it is likely to be him. Wouldn't blame him either.

Hmmmm i imagine theres a lot more to it than that as well mate but thats their problem!! At the end of the day you just want it sorted and it can be easily if they all just pull their fingers out!!!! time to kick some ass!!!!!
Old Aug 24th 2005, 3:44 pm
A former regular of BE

Estate agents say they have spoken to the other estate agents, our buyer and Uncle Tom Cobbly and all and no one thinks there is a problem. Second hand info is our buyer can't even get through to her solicitors which sounds dubious.

Getting -ed tonight!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.