Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

House Sale, The forum decides.

View Poll Results: Shall we take the offer?
Yes! Take it and get out to OZ ASAP
85.90%
No! Tell them to shove it and dont be so cheeky
14.10%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

House Sale, The forum decides.

Old Jan 29th 2005, 11:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation House Sale, The forum decides.

Hi there Everyone knows the saga of house sales, well we have had enough now.

I am going to let the forum help us out on this one:

We have an offer of 8k less than the asking price, shall we take it or leave it,

Our position is we have our visa in place, need to validate by May and the buyers have the mortgage in place and no chain.

Come on the choice is yours vote on it and please give your reasons?

Cheers
Dicko
Old Jan 29th 2005, 11:14 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: House Sale, The forum decides.

Take the money. Your schedule is against you and is it worth the possiblity of screwing up your plans for eight grand? Weigh it all up against the life-change you're about to go through, put it down to 'one of those things' and get your collective arses on a plane
Old Jan 29th 2005, 11:17 am
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice

Originally Posted by Dicko

We have an offer of 8k less than the asking price, shall we take it or leave it,

Our position is we have our visa in place, need to validate by May and the buyers have the mortgage in place and no chain.

Cheers
Dicko
hi dicko...

ooooooooo you're brave, letting us lot decide for you!!! LOL

I would say that you need to decide whether you can do without $20k (£8k roughly converted), considering your circumstances....what about validating and just one of you coming back to do the house sale and the other setting up down under? I'm presuming you're thinking of renting over here until you get a feel for the areas around you??

Wow so many factors to consider!!! I guess the big one is the money...can you do without the extra $20k this side?

Good luck with your decision!

love sophia xx
Old Jan 29th 2005, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Take the money and run

You could have to wait ages for another buyer and then you will have to validate which will probably cost you 8 grand
Old Jan 29th 2005, 11:20 am
Here at last

Location: Now here in sunny Sandy Beach, near Coffs Harbour, N.S.W.)
TheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really nice

Cheers
Dicko
What price do you put on living the dream! I'd take it and when sat on the beach watching the sun go down, with a stubby in your hand reflect on how lucky the people who bought it were but nowhere near as lucky as you!!!

Good on yer mate.
Old Jan 29th 2005, 11:26 am
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
Dicko
I am sure if you look at it in terms of percentages it will probably look a better offer than looking at in pure money terms.

You wouldn't see me for dust!

Grab it and get on with it!

AND MORE IMPORTANTLY - HOPE THE SALE GOES THROUGH WITHOUT ANY HITCHES....... GOOD LUCK

Binbird
Old Jan 29th 2005, 11:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
Dicko

We accepted 5K less on our house in the UK, cos we bought a house here for $15K less than the asking price, so it cancelled each win/loss out. Its not worth putting your plans on hold for, there are so many factors, exchange rate, UK house market, OZ house market. You just can't time it, take the plunge and take the price/rates at the time.

Good Luck,
JTL
Old Jan 29th 2005, 11:36 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

That rather depends on the asking price and the amount of equity you will be left with.
Asking price 108k, mortgage 100k leaves you with bugger all
Asking price 500k, mortgage 150k leaves you with 342 instead of 350 - so what sort of percentage of your settling in to Aus kitty is 8k?

If you can afford to do without the $20k (and let's face it, it is only money) then take the (rest of the) money and run.

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Jan 29th 2005, 11:37 am
Merlot

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush!

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth!

I could go on, go with your gut feel but I would say sell, what happens if this "famous" property crash happens (as discussed on "Moving Home Forum"???? You may get even less or no buyers???? You have to take a risk.

Best of luck
Merlot

Old Jan 29th 2005, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute

A Few good points, but basically our situation is, we are hoping land in Oz with about £25k but the extra 8k may come in handy, but as I keep saying to the missus it will cost us the best part of 5k to go on holiday to validate.

I think the missus just hates the thought of the cheeky gets, buying the house, getting one over on us.
I am more of the thought as it is a business decision, but she takes it personally.

Keep them votes coming but I think I can guess what the winner will be
Old Jan 29th 2005, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

RogerUK has a spectacular aura aboutRogerUK has a spectacular aura aboutRogerUK has a spectacular aura about

We have accepted £12500 less than asking price and are in a very similar position to you re validation. Roll on exchange of contracts when we can relax. Represents 6% reduction in price which is about average, but it is not about money really as house prices are a lot less in Oz and I believe their house market is in a similar state to ours, so bargains are there to be had. Good luck with your decision, ours is made and we fly out early April!
Roger
Old Jan 29th 2005, 11:55 am
Living the Dream

RockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant future

Cheers
Dicko
Remember that the past few months are not the best time of the year to sell a house, the next few weeks are when the market is meant to pick up, thats what our estate agent has told us. If you can do without the extra 8K and it takes away all the stress it may be worth considering the offer. If you have no problem getting to sleep at nights I would hang out another month. Good Luck
Old Jan 29th 2005, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

jskogsta has a spectacular aura aboutjskogsta has a spectacular aura aboutjskogsta has a spectacular aura about

Another thing to think about is potentially the cost you will have on the house in the UK empty. Not sure if you have morgage costs .. other costs etc. That could easily run up some £'s. All in all I think I would take it ..

/Jørgen
Old Jan 29th 2005, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

Chalkfarm will become famous soon enough

Take the money..............Good luck
Old Jan 29th 2005, 3:53 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

In theory the estate agents are working for you Ask them what the market is like in your neighbourhood, What is the general reduction happening, do they think there is another few grand in the purchasers pockets etc. If they really think that is the best you will get, go with it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.