Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

House sale dilemma

House sale dilemma

Old Apr 22nd 2004, 9:57 pm

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of
Default House sale dilemma

Hi all,

For those in the house selling game at the moment, please don't all shout at me for posting this but I'm not sure what to do and would appreciate some advice.

I had my first couple round to view my house today (only advertised in the paper this morning! ) and having had a fairly quick look round they want to offer me the full asking price.

They have today agreed to sell their house to a first time buyer (with funds in place) so are very keen to find somewhere quickly and want to be in Ilkley as the wife has family here. Told them I'm moving in with my mum (true in the short term) so no chain.

The agent said I could get high offers and was thinking of trying a higher price but didn't want to kill it for me. There's another viewing already booked for Saturday teatime too.

I asked the couple to speak to the agent tomorrow, but was honest about the fact that the price could have been higher. They indicated they could stretch a bit further so I asked them to tell the agent honestly how far they could go and I'd ask the agent's advice tomorrow when I get a call.

I don't want to accept an offer then mess them around. At £135k I reckon I'm unlikely to get a first time buyer. There's a risk their sale could fall through, but the chain is only three long.

I think I could:

a) Accept their offer at £135k;

b) Accept their higher offer (if they can go higher);

c) Try to get a higher offer from the next viewer before deciding, with a) or b) to fall back on (told them about the other viewer - they said they could wait a couple of days only for my decision, but they might find another property and then I've lost them);

What would you do?

Elaine M
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 10:18 pm
Monaco here we!!! oh no

ADELAIDE BOUND is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: House sale dilemma

Originally posted by Elaine M
Hi all,

For those in the house selling game at the moment, please don't all shout at me for posting this but I'm not sure what to do and would appreciate some advice.

I had my first couple round to view my house today (only advertised in the paper this morning! ) and having had a fairly quick look round they want to offer me the full asking price.

They have today agreed to sell their house to a first time buyer (with funds in place) so are very keen to find somewhere quickly and want to be in Ilkley as the wife has family here. Told them I'm moving in with my mum (true in the short term) so no chain.

The agent said I could get high offers and was thinking of trying a higher price but didn't want to kill it for me. There's another viewing already booked for Saturday teatime too.

I asked the couple to speak to the agent tomorrow, but was honest about the fact that the price could have been higher. They indicated they could stretch a bit further so I asked them to tell the agent honestly how far they could go and I'd ask the agent's advice tomorrow when I get a call.

I don't want to accept an offer then mess them around. At £135k I reckon I'm unlikely to get a first time buyer. There's a risk their sale could fall through, but the chain is only three long.

I think I could:

a) Accept their offer at £135k;

b) Accept their higher offer (if they can go higher);

c) Try to get a higher offer from the next viewer before deciding, with a) or b) to fall back on (told them about the other viewer - they said they could wait a couple of days only for my decision, but they might find another property and then I've lost them);

What would you do?

Elaine M

Elaine
Its a tough one isnt it?
Did you get 3 valuations before you put the house on the market?
We have had 2 offers so far, both 20K under the asking price. This has been fuelled by the estate agent telling the prospective buyers that we are emmigrating.
We personaly would bite the arm off a buyer if they offered the asking price. You may just have been very lucky with your first viewer. There again if you have not had several valuations then the lovely estate agent might have under valued your home to try and secure a quick sale.
If you have had other valuations then I would accept their next offer.

Good Luck
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 10:28 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

"A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush."
"Don't look a gift horse in the mouth."
Difficult decision Elaine. Your house is worth what someone is prepared to pay no more, no less.
If you can delay until Saturdays viewing I would do so and tell them you have been offered £140K so must decide pronto.
If it gets no reaction go with couple one.
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 10:33 pm

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of

Originally posted by ADELAIDE BOUND
Elaine
Its a tough one isnt it?
Did you get 3 valuations before you put the house on the market?
We have had 2 offers so far, both 20K under the asking price. This has been fuelled by the estate agent telling the prospective buyers that we are emmigrating.
We personaly would bite the arm off a buyer if they offered the asking price. You may just have been very lucky with your first viewer. There again if you have not had several valuations then the lovely estate agent might have under valued your home to try and secure a quick sale.
If you have had other valuations then I would accept their next offer.

Good Luck
Hi AB (not sure if it's Tom or Donna?)

I didn't get three valuations; the agent sold my flat for me when I moved in here and I was happy with them then, so I just went to them this time.

We based the decision on the price partly on two other houses in my street that are up for sale; one was on at £129,500 and has sold within two weeks (don't know how much they've accepted though) and the other is on at £132,500 but not sold yet. Both are smaller plots than mine and don't have a garage (mine does) but have white upvc double glazing (mine is aluminium) and bigger kitchens (mine is really tiny and needs new units).

I did tell the agent I wanted to get the sale agreed fairly quickly; although I'm not going to Adelaide till September I'd feel happier if it's all sorted and can stay with my mum for a while in the meantime.

Maybe I'll see what the agent advises tomorrow.

Elaine M
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 10:39 pm

Originally posted by Bix
"A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush."
"Don't look a gift horse in the mouth."
Difficult decision Elaine. Your house is worth what someone is prepared to pay no more, no less.
If you can delay until Saturdays viewing I would do so and tell them you have been offered £140K so must decide pronto.
If it gets no reaction go with couple one.
You must have read my mind Bix.

This is exactly what I've been thinking. My mum's been saying I should have gone on at a higher price but I'd rather get viewings and realistic offers than sit here waiting for the phone to ring then be messed around with low offers.

I'm lucky that I'm in a very popular area; the agent said that there's a lot of demand and not enough property available.

Elaine M
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 6:25 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

I would get the ball rolling with the first couple who have made the offer.

You could put the price up and get no interest.

Seems a bit of a risk to me.

TT

You must have read my mind Bix.

This is exactly what I've been thinking. My mum's been saying I should have gone on at a higher price but I'd rather get viewings and realistic offers than sit here waiting for the phone to ring then be messed around with low offers.

I'm lucky that I'm in a very popular area; the agent said that there's a lot of demand and not enough property available.

Elaine M
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Jensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to behold

Hi AB (not sure if it's Tom or Donna?)

I didn't get three valuations; the agent sold my flat for me when I moved in here and I was happy with them then, so I just went to them this time.

We based the decision on the price partly on two other houses in my street that are up for sale; one was on at £129,500 and has sold within two weeks (don't know how much they've accepted though) and the other is on at £132,500 but not sold yet. Both are smaller plots than mine and don't have a garage (mine does) but have white upvc double glazing (mine is aluminium) and bigger kitchens (mine is really tiny and needs new units).

I did tell the agent I wanted to get the sale agreed fairly quickly; although I'm not going to Adelaide till September I'd feel happier if it's all sorted and can stay with my mum for a while in the meantime.

Maybe I'll see what the agent advises tomorrow.

Elaine M
The comparison makes yours sound a fair price, but if you can get another 5K...
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

ScuntoBris will become famous soon enough

The first couple to look round our property also offered the full asking price, which we accepted, but could not help but think that maybe should have gone up higher (took 3 quotes and went middle one), but "at then end of the day" (sorry about that) we also put the property up at a price we were prepared to sell for. Surely you did the same? Therefore think yourself lucky, take the money, move in with your mother, no mortgage to pay for a couple of months, so bank a bit more, and of course one less thing to have on your mind.

Old Apr 23rd 2004, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

S Oldfield is an unknown quantity at this point

Think I would go with the first offer. Its want you wanted for the prperty in the first instance.
If you sell to the next people for that little bit more, then they might sod you about.

Dunno, just think what goes around, comes around!!
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 4:42 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

I know I should be saying take the first offer but.... I did this which meant no more viewings, the sale fell through. This happened 3 more times, eventually the 5th viewer bought it. This doesn't happen to everyone and hopefully won't happen to you. My advice, agree to viewings already booked, say to first person you will let them know by close of business on Saturday. Then if anything does happen and fingers crossed it won't, you will probably have others interested in your property. We are actually thinking about putting ours in an auction this time. One open day before the auction then put it in for under the valuation figure but with a reserve on it. I don't think I could stand all the hassle of selling through proper channels again. Stressed me out big time, especially since we had already exchanged on the new house. Paid 2 mortgages for 5 months. Not nice. Anyway whatever you decide, good luck.
Sarah
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 4:51 pm
Go Banana's !!

Originally posted by teach
I know I should be saying take the first offer but.... I did this which meant no more viewings, the sale fell through. This happened 3 more times, eventually the 5th viewer bought it. This doesn't happen to everyone and hopefully won't happen to you. My advice, agree to viewings already booked, say to first person you will let them know by close of business on Saturday. Then if anything does happen and fingers crossed it won't, you will probably have others interested in your property.

Sarah

Think this advice makes sense.

Low risk.

Good luck
Jill

actually feel more like not sure how many more people I can stand viewing my house - going out tonight and hoping to get absolutely hammered

Old Apr 23rd 2004, 5:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road

Hi Elaine
i would accept their offer 'Subject to Survey' and carry on having viewings until there survey has taken place, if they really love your place then they will be happy to do this and it will put some urgency there too,
hope this helps
rach x
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 6:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

pockygoes will become famous soon enough

On a previous thread someone mentioned that it is a good idea not to mnetion that you are emigrating - we live in a small village & most in the village know of our plans but anyone viewing from out of the village we will not tell - we will just say that we want to sell & will move in with my mum as we want to buy something else but want to be able to go in with a "cash offer". That way people won't try to pull a fast one nearer the time. I am sure that one buyer tried to reduce the price by 15K nearer the exchange of contracts as they knew the seller was desperate & had booked flights - dirty little s**ts.

cheers

pockygoes
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road

Hi Pocky goes,
we don't want any potential viewers knowing our plans as we know that they will try and chip us on the price, just said that we are moving in with mum
rach x
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 6:49 pm

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Latest development:

The couple from last night rang the agent to offer £135k (asking price). Before the agent had chance to ring me, a local farmer called in and picked up details of my house. He had previously bought a house in my street for his son - cash sale, went through in 4 weeks and is now looking for a house for his other son.

Agent rang me and discussed both the offer and prospective interest from the farmer. We agreed to tell the couple I wil make a decision on the offer no later than Monday and if nothing better comes in I will accept it. (Also said if something does come in they will be informed to give them a chance to go higher if they want to).

The farmer rang this afternoon and arranged to view tomorrow morning at 10.30am, saying it will be another quick cash sale if he likes it.

I also still have the other viewer booked at 5.30pm tomorrow....

Wow!

Keep everything crossed for me guys.

Elaine M

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.