House rentals - Perth

House rentals - Perth

Old Oct 19th 2005, 3:43 pm
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point
Default House rentals - Perth

Hi Yall

Slightly vague on this one , do people set themselves up with house rentals
PRIOR to leaving UK or do you have to wait until you get over there and "view them" ? hmmmm

Ta

Dave
Old Oct 19th 2005, 3:52 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: House rentals - Perth

It is possible to set up a rental before arriving in Perth, but my advice would be wait till you get here. Take a furnished apartment for a couple of weeks then do intensive suburb research, having first narrowed it down to a few suburbs by websearching.

When we moved down last year hubby had his heart set on Scarborough and I favoured Glendalough or Doubleview (based purely on websearching). When we actually got here we HATED Scarborough with a passion, and were ambivalent with Glendalough and DV. Ended up renting for 12 months in Kensington (which we had never heard of but turned out to be fabby) and have now bought in the foothills, so nothing went to plan but everything worked out for the best !
Old Oct 19th 2005, 3:56 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Vegemite Kids
It is possible to set up a rental before arriving in Perth, but my advice would be wait till you get here. Take a furnished apartment for a couple of weeks then do intensive suburb research, having first narrowed it down to a few suburbs by websearching.

When we moved down last year hubby had his heart set on Scarborough and I favoured Glendalough or Doubleview (based purely on websearching). When we actually got here we HATED Scarborough with a passion, and were ambivalent with Glendalough and DV. Ended up renting for 12 months in Kensington (which we had never heard of but turned out to be fabby) and have now bought in the foothills, so nothing went to plan but everything worked out for the best !
Which rental company did you use ? thanks for the reply.

Dave
Old Oct 19th 2005, 4:10 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mindblower
Hi Yall

Slightly vague on this one , do people set themselves up with house rentals
PRIOR to leaving UK or do you have to wait until you get over there and "view them" ? hmmmm

Ta

Dave
Hi Dave,

Sure you'll get lots of replies, but our experience says it isn't a good idea to try fixing a rental for more than a few weeks. We tried renting a place (SOR) in WA while we were in Sydney and it turned out to be more or less impossible.

The way rentals work here is different to what I'd been used to in the UK. Here, houses are advertised in the local press, or perhaps on somewhere like Realestate.com, and in the agents' offices. You can get "drive by" lists of available rentals from estate agents too. If you like the look of somewhere - either from a drive-by of the property, or from details you've seen, then you arrange with the agents to see it. If you like the property you make an application to rent it, which is submitted, along with the applications from everyone else who wants to rent it, and then the whole lot are considered by the owners. It isn't done on a first-come-first-served basis. Obviously I guess you can apply for a property you haven't seen - as long as you're happy to take them as they come, that's fine.

When you apply, you have to pay a letting fee, usually equivalent to one week's rent. If you like more than one property you can apply for them, but each different agent will require a letting fee, and if you apply for three properties, perhaps, and are approved for all three, you do not get your letting fees back. So if you want to apply for more than one you have to be prepared to lose your letting fees if you're accepted. Usually an agent will not want you to apply for more than one of their listed properties at any one time, but I'm pretty sure you only pay one letting fee per agent. If you're knocked back you get the letting fee back. Of course, if you choose to apply for them one at a time and you get knocked back, you get your letting fee back but you then have to start over again. What makes it worse is that they usually take a minimum of 48 hours to let you know whether it's gone for or against you, so if you're on a deadline to find somewhere, as we were, it means a lot of stressful waiting.

Lease applications are very detailed and they do take up references. We had to provide the names of 12 different people between us - two referees, two next-of-kin and two people to contact in the event of emergencies - and they all had to be different and people we'd known for at least six months. The place we applied for on Friday - and thankfully were accepted for - were checking our references at 7:30 Monday morning!

So between having to pay these fees up front, and all the paperwork, I would say it is too complicated to arrange from overseas. Not impossible, and I'm sure others here have done it, but it isn't easy or straightforward. Arranging a temporary, short term rental is probably much easier but if you're looking for something longer term, I'd wait until you get here and can check out what's going on.

Just our experience. Hope it helps.

Sue
Old Oct 19th 2005, 4:15 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
Hi Dave,

Sure you'll get lots of replies, but our experience says it isn't a good idea to try fixing a rental for more than a few weeks. We tried renting a place (SOR) in WA while we were in Sydney and it turned out to be more or less impossible.

The way rentals work here is different to what I'd been used to in the UK. Here, houses are advertised in the local press, or perhaps on somewhere like Realestate.com, and in the agents' offices. You can get "drive by" lists of available rentals from estate agents too. If you like the look of somewhere - either from a drive-by of the property, or from details you've seen, then you arrange with the agents to see it. If you like the property you make an application to rent it, which is submitted, along with the applications from everyone else who wants to rent it, and then the whole lot are considered by the owners. It isn't done on a first-come-first-served basis. Obviously I guess you can apply for a property you haven't seen - as long as you're happy to take them as they come, that's fine.

When you apply, you have to pay a letting fee, usually equivalent to one week's rent. If you like more than one property you can apply for them, but each different agent will require a letting fee, and if you apply for three properties, perhaps, and are approved for all three, you do not get your letting fees back. So if you want to apply for more than one you have to be prepared to lose your letting fees if you're accepted. Usually an agent will not want you to apply for more than one of their listed properties at any one time, but I'm pretty sure you only pay one letting fee per agent. If you're knocked back you get the letting fee back. Of course, if you choose to apply for them one at a time and you get knocked back, you get your letting fee back but you then have to start over again. What makes it worse is that they usually take a minimum of 48 hours to let you know whether it's gone for or against you, so if you're on a deadline to find somewhere, as we were, it means a lot of stressful waiting.

Lease applications are very detailed and they do take up references. We had to provide the names of 12 different people between us - two referees, two next-of-kin and two people to contact in the event of emergencies - and they all had to be different and people we'd known for at least six months. The place we applied for on Friday - and thankfully were accepted for - were checking our references at 7:30 Monday morning!

So between having to pay these fees up front, and all the paperwork, I would say it is too complicated to arrange from overseas. Not impossible, and I'm sure others here have done it, but it isn't easy or straightforward. Arranging a temporary, short term rental is probably much easier but if you're looking for something longer term, I'd wait until you get here and can check out what's going on.

Sue
For F****s sake !!

What a farce..

Thanks for that reply.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 4:19 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

For F****s sake !!

What a farce..

Thanks for that reply.
Agreed....
Old Oct 19th 2005, 4:35 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Which rental company did you use ? thanks for the reply.

Dave
Acton.

Absolutely superb service.

speak with Kelley Middleton [email protected] she was brilliant.

M
Old Oct 19th 2005, 4:44 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
Hi Dave,

Sue
Same experience as ours, apart from the 12 references. We got accepted for 2 rentals and all we gave each agent was a copy of a letter from our German Landlord saying what good tenants we had been.

We did lose the deposit on the 2nd rental though, but that was our fault. We accepted the first rental (cos we were desperate) before the second one was approved.