Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

House rental in UK - gaps

House rental in UK - gaps

Old Nov 7th 2012, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of light
Default House rental in UK - gaps

Hi
Is anyone renting their house in UK, experienced gaps in tenants and can tell me what should happen with utilities in between tenants? My tenants are vacating in Dec, and I'm refurbishing the property.
I have the property fully managed by an agency who are not always on top of things, so seem to need management themselves. I don't particularly want to have to pop back to sort things out if I can avoid it..
Many thanks!
Old Nov 7th 2012, 10:36 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: House rental in UK - gaps

Utilities and council tax go back into your name (unless you want to disconnect, which is not ideal when you want to re-let the flat). Don't worry, your tenants won't pay a day more than they have to!
Old Nov 7th 2012, 10:45 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Utilities and council tax go back into your name (unless you want to disconnect, which is not ideal when you want to re-let the flat). Don't worry, your tenants won't pay a day more than they have to!
Whenever we have moved we have always contacted the utilities people and told them of the leaving date and the name and address of the owner/agent for future bills, we also took meter readings for gas and electricity. In some places it is only possible for the water company to take readings, so they may want to ask them as well, this ensures that we, the tenants, only paid for what we used. It's vital that the agents are on the ball over this as tenants really don't like to receive bills that have accrued after they have left..
Old Nov 8th 2012, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chortlepuss
Hi
Is anyone renting their house in UK, experienced gaps in tenants and can tell me what should happen with utilities in between tenants? My tenants are vacating in Dec, and I'm refurbishing the property.
I have the property fully managed by an agency who are not always on top of things, so seem to need management themselves. I don't particularly want to have to pop back to sort things out if I can avoid it..
Many thanks!
If your refurbishing in the middle of December I assume you'll need heat and light, so the utilities will need to go into your name.

I suggest you get a new letting agent, what's the point of paying someone if they don't do the job?
Old Nov 8th 2012, 12:48 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Check your insurance too as some policies don't cover you if the house is empty for longer than certain time periods.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 1:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Chortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of light

Cheers for replies, I'm paying full managed service to agency so they should be all over it but don't want to disconnect as it's winter and I'm re-furbishing. I want to avoid flying out - hopefully can do most of this remotely!
Old Nov 8th 2012, 1:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bingobob777
I suggest you get a new letting agent, what's the point of paying someone if they don't do the job?
Sadly, I think mine's the best of a bad bunch where I'm from - they do get things done, I just wish I didn't need to manage them so closely
Old Nov 14th 2012, 12:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Techno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond repute

Check with your council for council tax concessions on empty properties. Our council gave you 6 months without having to pay council tax if the property was un-occupied, as long as it was also unfurnished....and they do check (by coming round and peering through your windows), so shift all your furniture upstairs or keep your curtains closed!