Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

House purchase. What else do I need to add on?

House purchase. What else do I need to add on?

Old Jan 12th 2010, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

wanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant future
Default House purchase. What else do I need to add on?

Hi All,

I have seen a second hand house for sale south of Perth for $369,000 as I would be a first time buyer what grants would I get and what add ons do I need to budget for stamp duty, taxes, fees ect??? I would roughly have the $69,000 as a deposit maybe a bit more. all answers welcome and keep up the good work
Old Jan 13th 2010, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: House purchase. What else do I need to add on?

Originally Posted by wanttobedownunder
Hi All,

I have seen a second hand house for sale south of Perth for $369,000 as I would be a first time buyer what grants would I get and what add ons do I need to budget for stamp duty, taxes, fees ect??? I would roughly have the $69,000 as a deposit maybe a bit more. all answers welcome and keep up the good work
There will be no stamp duty to pay (because the price is below the stamp duty threshold).

Other costs will be the conveyancer's fees and disbursements (about $1,700).

And a bit of council rates and water rates - about $500 - $1,500 (Home-owners pay these in advance and on purchase you have to re-pay to the old owner what they have paid in advance for the period that now you will be in the house. If you are buying towards the end of the period you have to pay hardly anything back. But if you are buying just after they've paid a year in advance, it'll obviously be a larger amount).

I *think* that the first home owners grant has gone back down now to $7,000 (that's what you'll get).

If you are buying this place to live in it yourself, there is no land tax to pay.

Don't forget to budget for moving-in costs: removal lorry.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

charlie rara is just really nicecharlie rara is just really nicecharlie rara is just really nicecharlie rara is just really nicecharlie rara is just really nicecharlie rara is just really nicecharlie rara is just really nicecharlie rara is just really nice

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
There will be no stamp duty to pay (because the price is below the stamp duty threshold).

Other costs will be the conveyancer's fees and disbursements (about $1,700).

And a bit of council rates and water rates - about $500 - $1,500 (Home-owners pay these in advance and on purchase you have to re-pay to the old owner what they have paid in advance for the period that now you will be in the house. If you are buying towards the end of the period you have to pay hardly anything back. But if you are buying just after they've paid a year in advance, it'll obviously be a larger amount).

I *think* that the first home owners grant has gone back down now to $7,000 (that's what you'll get)

If you are buying this place to live in it yourself, there is no land tax to pay.

Don't forget to budget for moving-in costs: removal lorry.
hi there,
do you know the duty threshold ??
and do you know the % or is it a fixed fee ??

cheers
Old Jan 16th 2010, 4:37 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charlie rara
hi there,
do you know the duty threshold ??
Stamp duty rules vary from state to state. In Western Australia the threshold is $500,000.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 5:30 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

bankwest have got a lot of useful info:

http://bankwest.com.au/Personal/Home...ide/index.aspx
Old Jan 16th 2010, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

wanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant future

Thank you to all that replied that lets me do my sums
Just need the Uk house to sell now and we're off....

Thanks again,

Tony.