Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

House prices in the UK

House prices in the UK

Old Apr 9th 2003, 12:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute
Question House prices in the UK

Just wondering from those of you who are still in the UK what you think is happening with the UK property market.

Reason I ask is that I know when we were living in the UK last year, if a house went on the market it was sold within 2 weeks, yet it seems as if a few of you are having problems getting rid of your houses.

Do you think it is a temporary downturn because of the war/economy in general, or do you think people are just waiting for prices to fall before they jump into the market?
Old Apr 9th 2003, 2:39 am
Forum Regular

HowardB is an unknown quantity at this point

The smaller houses (2/3 bedroom) seem to be moving OK. I don't think prices are coming down, it's just slowing down a bit. It's certainly not like it was last year. We've had our house on the market since December and we have sold it three times only to be let down each time for various reasons.
Old Apr 9th 2003, 4:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Interested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant future

Its definately slowing down, although apparently the north is still red hot right now, but London is cooling and that ripple will eventually make its way up north.
Old Apr 9th 2003, 6:24 am
BE Enthusiast

scoobydooathome is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: House prices in the UK

Originally posted by Vicky88
Just wondering from those of you who are still in the UK what you think is happening with the UK property market.

Reason I ask is that I know when we were living in the UK last year, if a house went on the market it was sold within 2 weeks, yet it seems as if a few of you are having problems getting rid of your houses.

Do you think it is a temporary downturn because of the war/economy in general, or do you think people are just waiting for prices to fall before they jump into the market?
Hi,

Not where we are thankfully, this is the booming UK, we sold (sts) for a measly 1000 less than asking, survey done now and hopeing to exchange contracts soon,

Cannot beleive that someone would pay so much

3 castle's in Perth equivalent (might have been lucky so far)

You will not find a cheap house in the UK they're all over priced

Cheers,
Old Apr 9th 2003, 9:19 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute
Default house market

My friend works in the estate agency business and she says its slowing down in the north but the prices have not been effected yet,if anything they still rising.
Old Apr 9th 2003, 9:26 am
Just Joined

witzend is an unknown quantity at this point

Last year I bought a house, eventually, as all the houses that came onto the market where I wanted to live were snapped up straight away. The estate agents windows had nothing but 'sold' signs in them. Now it seems they are not selling so quickly. My colleagues and I (teaching) have agreed that many first time buyers cannot get on the 'ladder' because prices are so ridiculous.
Old Apr 9th 2003, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sindy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Have to agree that house prices are unbelieveable. We have just had ours valued. prior to putting on the market, and were quoted about £50,000 higher than our wildest expectation not complaning though. Even if we have to drop some for the sale we will still be quids in. Just glad I am not trying to buy here from Australia (Sorry PB but you are in for a shock :scared: )

Good luck to all still looking for a buyer

Sindy
Old Apr 9th 2003, 4:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: An expat Aussie trying to understand why anyone wants to move to Oz.
Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by scoobydooathome
Hi,

Not where we are thankfully, this is the booming UK, we sold (sts) for a measly 1000 less than asking, survey done now and hopeing to exchange contracts soon,

Cannot beleive that someone would pay so much

3 castle's in Perth equivalent (might have been lucky so far)

You will not find a cheap house in the UK they're all over priced

Cheers,
If you sold below the asking price this is an indication the market is slowing.
Old Apr 9th 2003, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Interested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant future

Exactly Devlin !
Old Apr 9th 2003, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

Hiya,

Our prices here in Scotland are not slowing down just catching up.

But you can still pick up a bargain,
Old Apr 9th 2003, 6:33 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Carrianne
Hiya,

Our prices here in Scotland are not slowing down just catching up.

But you can still pick up a bargain,
We're the same in N.E Lincs still rising slowly but a 3 bed terraced town house is less than 40k and a 3 bed semi is around 80k.
Old Apr 9th 2003, 6:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Devlin
If you sold below the asking price this is an indication the market is slowing.
Hi there,

But who cares about 0.35 of 1 %, yes thats all they got in dicount, you not a bit green are you,

I will say it again, house prices in the UK are a joke,

I wish all well on the sale of their home,

Good Luck,
Old Apr 9th 2003, 7:11 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by scoobydooathome
Hi there,

But who cares about 0.35 of 1 %, yes thats all they got in dicount, you not a bit green are you,

I will say it again, house prices in the UK are a joke,

I wish all well on the sale of their home,

Good Luck,

Surely that 0.35 becomes quite a larger amount when you count it as net profit ex paying off the outstanding mortgage debt if there is any?
Old Apr 9th 2003, 7:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by cresta57
Surely that 0.35 becomes quite a larger amount when you count it as net profit ex paying off the outstanding mortgage debt if there is any?
You must be joking, we were just pleased a buyer appeared from nowhere, they still paid way to much for it in my oppinion, 0.35 % of the total is not a lot beleive me, 1000 quid nar it's nothing ... work it out

Chucked in a few bits and bobs as you do for the price,

BUT shhhh we have not exchanged yet ahhhhh the suspence, survey done,

Trying times eh,

How are you getting on,

Cheers,
Old Apr 9th 2003, 8:41 pm
Finally back home

sally1968 is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by cresta57
We're the same in N.E Lincs still rising slowly but a 3 bed terraced town house is less than 40k and a 3 bed semi is around 80k.
:scared: My god they are bargains!! Here in Stevenage you would be lucky to get a 3 bed terraced for less than £120,000!!! And Stevenage is a dump

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.